Legend Park Trail

Legend Park Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

dogs

bridge out

old growth

To me being a beginner this is a difficult trail with some very large hills. It is also very rooty on some trails. There is a skills area and some drop hills. It is run by the Town of Clayton with volunteer help.

Tried to hike in Clemmons State Educational Forest but discovered it's closed from December 1 to March 1, 2018 for trail maintenance. Skirted quickly over to the Legend Park Trail, which is primarily for mountain bikes with lots of ups and downs and all arounds, but still good for hiking when the bikers aren't using it. During winter there are lots of leaves covering up roots and rocks and not very safe for bikers. That being said, the lower yellow trails are probably the easiest for biking with gentle slopes and flat boardwalks. Going to the upper trails, I would think Little Big Horn is the most fun as it has the smoothest runs and big sweeping turns with some big hills. Magnolias is for intermediates but uneventful. Larry's Loop is a challenging spur off of Little Big Horn. Nearest the entrance is Hucksville with some really extreme technical ramps suitable for flips, some huge jumps and a really cool banked track - for experts. I enjoyed the four miles around all the trails - it was a good workout with lots of variety. For biking it has something for everyone. Also great for trail running.

Seems like a good trail.. Although we weren't able to go much further than a mile with two fairly inexperienced children. I would say more for someone with some experiance and not for suitable for younger children. Lots of obstacles, large tree roots, bendy paths and up and down small steep hills. Can imagine a dog would love a good run here! We will go back without children.

Also, as someone else has mentioned in a review, it is not very well signposted as to where to walk/ride. We rode around for a few minutes and found a small gap in the the trees, which looked like it could have been a well trodden animal path. There was a small sign, about 3 ft high, that said 'Entrance. Ride at your own risk'. Also not signposted along the way as to which route to take. And we couldn't find a map anywhere in the test of the park to tell us this was a place to ride or where to go. Sure we'll work it out next time.

Fun trails, lots of which way next fork in the trail.

trail is covered in broken glass bottles. brought my pup and couldn't get very far for dear of her paws being cut!

Not marked. No signs anywhere to indicate walking trails. What we finally found was a sign at what we assumed was an entrance (overgrown, a little scary actually) that read "ride at yout own risk". We took our walk elsewhere.

This is a very cool place for bikers. Also a nice place to walk. If you're new like we were I suggest starting on the yellow trail that starts by the parking lot up front to the left of the field if you're looking at the field. Or straight back beyond the concession house. Because it's a biking trail the trails are marked in one direction. It was a great place for my dog, it was low key the day I went.

Sunday, January 01, 2017

Great Place. Lot of hills and killer creek for the dogs to play in. Had a great time and a great workout!

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Has some good jumps

Friday, December 25, 2015

Great 1st ride. Route is clear and well maintained. There are several routes to take. Had a great time. Highly recommended. Take slow if you're a newbie like me and you'll be fine.

Monday, October 12, 2015

Moderate trail will many hills

Monday, August 03, 2015

Dismal. The trail was poorly marked. We had to avoid a rotting, dead dog on the trail. The 'scenic' river was 5" deep, stagnant and putrid. I will not be returning.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

There are basically two different terrains here. The lower trails are fast and flowy. They weave through the valley and follow creek beds. Towards the back of the lowers there is a good climb that brings you back to reality after having such a groovy ride. With the exception of the skills area this side of the trails are not very technical but are fun because they are so fast. The down side to this area is that the trails take a long time to dry out once it rains.

The upper trails are much more technical. This side includes some optional west coast style "Hucks" that are sure to get the adrenaline pumping. This side of the trail is also much more hilly and will seem to really work you over until you find the rhythm of the trail. The mileage may say six but I can usually push that to ten with out feeling like I have been riding the same trails over and over. The loops are very easy to connect.

Use the link provided to check what sections of the trail are open before heading out.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

So much fun!!!!! Awesome jumps and a good trail! The "skill area" is run down but everything else is awesome!!!

Monday, December 19, 2016