Lassiter Trail

Lassiter Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Gatesville, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 183 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Directions from Gatesville, NC: The park is located in northeastern North Carolina in Gates County near the community of Gatesville. Follow US 158 east of Gatesville. Turn right off US 158 onto SR 1403. The park is located 1.5 miles south of US 158. After passing the ranger residence you will see the millpond on your left and a boat ramp, picnic and parking area. The trail begins there. OR you may begin from the lower section of the family campground which is accessible from the main park entrance found directly off US 158.

Camped over night I the backpacking campsite. Very easy trail no big surprises. Lots of birds to see other wildlife not so much. The owls were extremely talkative at night.

It is an easy, uneventful trail with occasional views of the swamp. Flat most of the time. I went in April and there were some mosquitos already but not too bad

Sat Jul 07 2018

Easy hike with pretty views. BRING A LOT OF BUG SPRAY I seriously got eaten alive. Also watch for snakes they’re everywhere.

Mon Sep 04 2017

took the family and the mut. we had a get time. y'all need to make sure y'all watch your step due to snakes. We went in early September it was 85+ degrees and we seen five or six snakes. one big black ( witch is no big deal) and one real big copper head. all the snakes we seen we're just on the edge of the trail. all in all get little hike.

Fri Jun 23 2017

A stunning landscape, so vibrant. Don't forget your skeeter spray tho!

Sun Apr 16 2017

Came here Easter weekend and chose the backpack in camping site. 2.2 miles to those locations. Very easy trail and only saw about a dozen people. It was very peaceful but nothing really remarkable that made us stop and look at for very long. Minimal wildlife. Lots of owls at night. Great place to get away and relax.

Tue Nov 15 2016

Enjoyed the beautiful scenery on a mild November day. The trail was not busy at all, only saw three people on the trail. Will go back when I have more time to take it all in and to check the other trails in the area.

Mon Jul 25 2016

Great intro trail to hiking and backpacking. Our Scout Troop hikes this and the other trails at Merchant's Mill Pond State Park on a regular basis. We visit all year long, although the fall and winter are my favorites. During the late spring you need to prepare for red bugs (chiggers.) I also have some good snake pictures, mostly red bellied water snakes and black tree snakes. There are several options for camping and we will combine multiple trails to get a hike that matches our desired length.

Fri Jan 30 2015

Great place to hike. Watch out for snakes during the warmer weather. It also has backpack camping half way around.

Sat Aug 03 2013

I love this trail and it was easy but the distance kind of got to me. Had to sit in the car for half an hour before the next trail.

Thu Aug 01 2013

A beautiful trail, with pine forest, hardwood forest and the beautiful cypress swamp. But I hope you like bugs. There are signs up in the park warning about ticks. The mosquitoes were constant and so were the spider webs but it is an easy trail with a lot of peace and quiet. I only heard a car once and never encountered anyone on the trail. From the number of spider webs across the trail, I am thinking no one had hiked it in a while. It seems to be more of a canoe park than a hiking park even though the hiking trails are beautiful.

Mon Oct 11 2010

This is an easy, flat trail in Eastern North Carolina. It is in Merchant Millpond State Park. It links to 3 other trail and access to multiple campsites. The trail will close periodically due to flooding so check the state park website for closure updates.

recorded Lassiter Trail