Lake Johnson West Loop Trail

Lake Johnson West Loop Trail is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Raleigh, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I love to hike and I love the other side of the lake but this has zero direction after the halfway point. It started off as a breeze and fun and ended in being so lost I had to rely solely on my gps. I made it to the other paved side and felt like I was at a 5 star hotel. Trust me, this place is still my favorite as I love being off the beaten trail but if you’re a newcomer on the non paved side, be sure your gps is working.

The west loop of the Lake Johnson trail is not paved, unlike the eastern loop, so is a bit more like hiking. Some gentle slopes and a very nice point with a bench to reflect over the lake and ponder life. We took the loop just after a snowstorm and enjoyed the lake, the bridge and short hike on a sunny day. Also much less crowded than the east loop which has bike traffic and is paved all the way around. If you want a quieter stroll or good 2 mile trail run after work, this is the one for you.

Monday, October 10, 2016