Lake Johnson East Loop Trail

Lake Johnson East Loop Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Raleigh, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

paddle sports

Lake Johnson trail is an easy 5.4 mile loop of paved greenway and unpaved hiking trail that circles Lake Johnson and offers multiple recreational activities in Raleigh, NC. The Lake Johnson trail includes a 3.5 mile paved greenway loop as well as a 1.9 mile unpaved loop plus another 1.0 mile of out and backs to scenic lake overlooks. Part of the paved loop includes a section of Walnut Creek Greenway Trail. The paved portion goes through the woods, along the lake and across the dam. The unpaved portion, a bit less traveled, goes to the headwaters of the lake. Both can cross the boardwalk across the lake to complete a figure 8 if you want. The trail has flat sections, hilly sections, sections into the woods and sections along the lake, offering quite a bit of diversity of terrain. Great place to get closer to nature in Raleigh!

Good trail but very busy. It's nice and wide but wheelchairs may have difficulty with the second half as it's very steep. Elevation increase may only be 242ft but it does it up and down two or three times.

This trail feels more like a walk in the park than a hike. This trail does have a lot more natural terrain than the other loop. There are some nice views of the little lake. Not much incline or challenging areas, but a great place to escape for a little bit that's close to Downtown Raleigh.

Convenient walking/exercise for quick access, but usually busy, sidewalk sidewalk experience in the woods.

Super easy 3 mile loop. Love taking my pup out here for a great morning of exercise!

Great hike with my wife last weekend. Easy and well marked. We really enjoyed it.

Paved roads that skirt the edge of the lake most of the way around. It's an easy walk (minus a half mile section of intense hills) that can be completed in about an hour. I love walking here with friends as a way to just get outside, and I also love taking the solo run around the trail, too. Great getaway in Raleigh.

Great trails for running, on and off road. Always a friendly environment and great views.

Decent trail to go on evening walks and for running. Good for fishing near the bridge. The best part is canoeing/kayaking in summer.

Only one pitch that has vertical challenge. All paved as I recall.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016

This trail is pretty cool. I brought my both of my boys here ages 3 & 4 and they enjoyed it. Yes it was an easy trail but we had fun and I am get reacquainted with the outdoors. Felt almost like home, Virginia. I will return.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

If you go left at the visitor center, the path is flat with views of the lake. Once you pass the dam with its great view (about a mile in), it gets hilly and you quickly move away from the lake. After 2 miles you start to hit very steep hills and no benches. Parking lot was very tight and crowded. Due to the steep hills, I would go right at the beginning if i ever make it back so you get that section done while you're still fresh.

Thursday, June 09, 2016

Great trail. Using lots of people walking, jogging, and biking. Awesome

Sunday, May 08, 2016

I actually prefer the wooded trail as opposed to the paved section of the park. The paved section is way more crowded then I'd like. It's also great for your butt.

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Used to hike this trail almost every week in college in the late eighties and early nineties. We would start at our apartment near Avent Ferry and Gorman, walk to the trail, do the trail and head home about 5 miles in all. After my dog died I didn't have the heart to ever hike it again. Her favorite phrase was "want go to the lake?"

Friday, March 25, 2016

It was pretty good a lot of bugs lol

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Very nice walk/run spot. A little crowded for my liking but over quite enjoyable

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Great walk good trails and beautiful scenery with plenty to watch

Friday, November 20, 2015

Trail is paved the whole way. Little long to go without a bathroom if you have kids. Wear good shoes, the trail has some hills.

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Awesome trail

Monday, August 10, 2015

Love walking around this lake with my dog. It's a great way to stretch your legs. Can be crowded at times.