Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lake James State Park Loop

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(61)
Lake James State Park

Lake James State Park Loop is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Nebo, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.6 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

The Fox Trail was nicer than expected. This is really 3 trails combined into 1 on this map. mileage can vary depending what order you hike them. Overlooks were nice

This route combines 3 trails and has some nice views. Trails are well maintained and not overgrown. They are shaded most of the time.

Lovely trail. Nice views. 4.5 miles total. Quiet in February and I’m sure it’s busy in summer so come early.

Fun trail system. Really 2 separate trails. Windy by the lake. Very pretty, even in the winter

A great easy hike along the lake on December 23, 2019. Suitable for anyone. Not difficult at all but a beautiful view and I never ran into anyone. A slight drizzle kept away some, I’m sure. Dogs on a leash are permitted. Trail continues but I turned around because of time constraints.

This trail is very close to my home so easy to get to. If I didn't have the AllTrails map I wouldn't have figured out the route so I was glad to have it. That doesn't mean anyone else couldn't. In any case, the trail is easy with a few small changes in elevation to keep it interesting. Beautiful views of the lake along the way then some time in the woods where the trail narrows a bit. I had my dog and it was great for her.

Loud teenagers. Out and back. Pretty lake.

Beautiful views of the lake, good shade, not good for BOB stroller.

Lots of bugs so dont forget the bug sprays but overall a good hike the loop is exactly 2.0 miles with some elevated areas

Good for the novice hiker, hardly any elevation change but it’s a fast wide trial. Watch out for bikers. Great for a day hike and a dip in the lake during the summer months, there are several beaches along the way. All which is needed is to cut off the trail at the right moment using a topo map and there you are at a secluded mountain lake beach. Great for a hammock overnight on the beach with a crackling campfire if you wish to make it a two day trip. Parking can be made at the bot slip.

This was our first hike. I'm glad we started here. the trail was clearly marked. There is a new looking fishing dock there also. I caught a flat head catfish and my wife caught a bream. the railings on the dock were a little high for fishing. Over all, we enjoyed this trail. There are more trails in this state park that we are going to check out as soon as we can.

Thu Mar 21 2019

we loved the trails here! beautiful park and camping areas. definitely will be back

Fri Nov 09 2018

Not familiar with this area but took a stroll on the trail to the waters edge and to the docks. The big trail with the loop was closed. Bummer.

Thu Dec 21 2017

Easy trail through some forested areas with good views of the lake and the mountains.

Sat Jul 01 2017

We were headed down I-40 and saw Lake James State Park sign, so thought we'd take a quick side trip to check it out. After a few turns we came to the Catawba entrance, went down to the parking lot and saw the "trail" sign. The trail has a loop and some finger out and backs. We went down the finger that started at the sign next to the HCP parking space. Nice wide fairly flat trail that goes to a split rail fence with some caution signs and an overlook platform that is at the top of a dirt cliff. Interesting to see how many trees have fallen into the lake due to erosion, storms, etc. We took the rest of the trail to the left down to the water's edge with a great view of the lake, mountains behind, and those lucky folks with houses across the lake. On the way back took a right turn down the short path to a beach area with another nice view. Great place for a stroll if you are in the vicinity or camping, but not really a destination hike.

recorded Lake James State Park Loop