Lake Crabtree Loop Trail

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail is a 10.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morrisville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Lake Crabtree County Park is located on a 215-acre site adjacent to a 520-acre flood control lake, the park hosts more than 16 miles of trails for its main activity. Other activities include group and individual picnicking, catch-and-release fishing, boating, and nature study. Of the 16 miles of trails at Lake Crabtree, 6 of them are the loop that goes all the way around the lake. A program offers an interpretive hike that explores the entire circumference of the lake. Come prepared with good walking shoes that can handle some mud. Blue blazes mark this pedestrian loop around Lake Crabtree . The trail head is located at the kiosk next to the Managers Office. Two highlights of the trail are the Heather Lee Carr Memorial and Black Creek footbridge, each providing a scenic overlook and rest area. A portion of the trail is shared with the Town of Carys Black Creek Greenway. The trail may take the average hiker 2.5- 3 hours to complete. You can pick up a trail map at kiosks near the park HQ.

Under construction .... not enjoyable

The lake trail is closed about 2 miles in for construction. Would have been nice if there was a sign. Enjoyed it otherwise.

We walked around Lake Crabtree. 5.5 miles. There were some nice sections but also not so nice sections. One section went right next to Morrisville Parkway, another next to Evans Rd., another along a busy paved greenway with lots of bikers. Plus industrial and office buildings right off the trail half of the way. And the last section went just below the I-40 freeway and then on a very popular mountain biking trail. There was a constant stream of bikers that we had to step off the trail and let go by. Good and bad.

the lake loop was closed to bike traffic, but the smaller loops are good for an afternoon ride!

This is a great trail once you get past the small section by the road. There is also a small portion that is shared with mountain bikes. Crabtree has amazing wildlife viewing opportunities.

This is really easy unless you venture too far off of the beaten path -great for a Saturday walk with friends

Great trail.

Nice little hike. It's most pretty along the lake. The trails are well-worn. If you're seeking solitude, go elsewhere. There's traffic in the air, on the nearby highway, and on the trail itself (many mountain bikers).

Saturday, January 14, 2017

great easy place to get a touch of nature

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Nice, but spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb. And I go hiking everyday. I was more concerned about spiders than i was on the nice scenery.

Friday, September 16, 2016

On a beautiful NC day (late summer) I took my favorite hiking buddy Nui (my fearless dog) and we set out to discover this hidden gem. I wanted to take the lake trail, but was distracted with the nature trail. Quickly, we backtracked, and found the trailhead beyond a grassy area by the parking lot. At first, the yellow flowers made it almost magical, but the trail changed, and we walked alongside (literally) a main road, with only a thin path and a rock dam. Eventually, we walked into the woods with multiple boardwalks walking behind buildings (MetLife). A little strange. A few grassy clearings, and over a piped creek (I think we missed a path), we ended up in the woods again. We found some great steps taking the path up to higher elevation (slight). After crossing a couple bridges, the path turned into asphalt, where a lovely overlook to the lake was constructed. This was about 3.5 miles in. The next area was actually closed (?) for construction, but I wasn't turning back. The next part was a path that allowed both hikers and bikers to share. We only came across two bikers. This part of the path was not as well marked as the rest, and I lost the path, resulting in just using the main road to return to my car. Overall, I enjoyed the loop and even though it was very noisy by the main roads, it was not a boring hike. I believe it was just over 6 miles. A good workout, especially for my hiking buddy-who is passed out in the back of the car as I write this!

Friday, July 29, 2016

I customized the trail to keep it under 5 miles and to avoid traffic on Aviation Parkway. I started at the first parking lot at the Crabtree Lake park and walked to the trailhead at Old Reedy Creek road and turned back. It is a good trail. A lot of cyclists use this trail. Quite some road noise while nearing the Old Ready Creek trailhead. Otherwise the lake views are great.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail in Morrisville, NC - not a trail I would hike again. Granted, it's March as I wrote this, but it's trashy and very loud due to highway traffic. About a mile of it you walk right next to the highway. Plus lots of people riding bikes and they scare the heck out of you when they ride up behind and don't yell "track." We walked it because it was close to home but won't do it again.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Nice easy trail.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

nice easy trails, boat rentals, bike station located on trail in case you have to repair bike, trails wrap around lake for scene view.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

I love to do this trail on Saturday mornings. it's never very busy and my dog loves it.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My hike was Loops 1, 3, and 4, about 5 miles all together. Not a bad hike, part of the trail was along RT 40 but far enough off the road so that it was still kind of private, drivers would never know you were there. Not too much to look at as far as scenery, but I thought it was peaceful. I was surprised to see the bike jumps in the middle of the trail area, but thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt because if you yell for help you're out of luck, not a lot of people using the trail when I was there. Overall it is a nice place to hike.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

These trails are fun to ride and they are pretty well maintained. I really liked the pump section and the jump section. Also, there are a lot of roots on these trails. However, they need more signage, unless you have ridden these trails many times, they are tough to navigate.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

The photo for this trail is Crabtree Falls located at milepost 339 on the Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of Linville NC...not Virginia. My girlfriend and I hiked to this waterfall back on August 10th this year and the photo attached to this trail description is identical to the photo we took of the waterfall (complete with the downed tree on the left side of the photo). It's a strenuous hike on the way back but well worth it. Happy trails, everyone!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Great all around park with spaces for many activities. Excellent for families with kids. Great sunset over the water.