Lake Crabtree Loop Trail

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail is a 10.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morrisville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

Lake Crabtree County Park is located on a 215-acre site adjacent to a 520-acre flood control lake, the park hosts more than 16 miles of trails for its main activity. Other activities include group and individual picnicking, catch-and-release fishing, boating, and nature study. Of the 16 miles of trails at Lake Crabtree, 6 of them are the loop that goes all the way around the lake. A program offers an interpretive hike that explores the entire circumference of the lake. Come prepared with good walking shoes that can handle some mud. Blue blazes mark this pedestrian loop around Lake Crabtree . The trail head is located at the kiosk next to the Managers Office. Two highlights of the trail are the Heather Lee Carr Memorial and Black Creek footbridge, each providing a scenic overlook and rest area. A portion of the trail is shared with the Town of Carys Black Creek Greenway. The trail may take the average hiker 2.5- 3 hours to complete. You can pick up a trail map at kiosks near the park HQ.

Many of the trails are marked poorly and duplicate as biking trails. The trails are thin and impassible so you must always look behind you when hiking, reel the pup in, and step aside to let bikers pass. It makes the time in nature a little less enjoyable.

Under construction .... not enjoyable

Saturday, June 03, 2017

The lake trail is closed about 2 miles in for construction. Would have been nice if there was a sign. Enjoyed it otherwise.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

We walked around Lake Crabtree. 5.5 miles. There were some nice sections but also not so nice sections. One section went right next to Morrisville Parkway, another next to Evans Rd., another along a busy paved greenway with lots of bikers. Plus industrial and office buildings right off the trail half of the way. And the last section went just below the I-40 freeway and then on a very popular mountain biking trail. There was a constant stream of bikers that we had to step off the trail and let go by. Good and bad.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

the lake loop was closed to bike traffic, but the smaller loops are good for an afternoon ride!

Monday, April 17, 2017

This is a great trail once you get past the small section by the road. There is also a small portion that is shared with mountain bikes. Crabtree has amazing wildlife viewing opportunities.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

This is really easy unless you venture too far off of the beaten path -great for a Saturday walk with friends

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great trail.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Nice little hike. It's most pretty along the lake. The trails are well-worn. If you're seeking solitude, go elsewhere. There's traffic in the air, on the nearby highway, and on the trail itself (many mountain bikers).

Saturday, January 14, 2017

great easy place to get a touch of nature

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Nice, but spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb after spiderweb. And I go hiking everyday. I was more concerned about spiders than i was on the nice scenery.

Friday, September 16, 2016

On a beautiful NC day (late summer) I took my favorite hiking buddy Nui (my fearless dog) and we set out to discover this hidden gem. I wanted to take the lake trail, but was distracted with the nature trail. Quickly, we backtracked, and found the trailhead beyond a grassy area by the parking lot. At first, the yellow flowers made it almost magical, but the trail changed, and we walked alongside (literally) a main road, with only a thin path and a rock dam. Eventually, we walked into the woods with multiple boardwalks walking behind buildings (MetLife). A little strange. A few grassy clearings, and over a piped creek (I think we missed a path), we ended up in the woods again. We found some great steps taking the path up to higher elevation (slight). After crossing a couple bridges, the path turned into asphalt, where a lovely overlook to the lake was constructed. This was about 3.5 miles in. The next area was actually closed (?) for construction, but I wasn't turning back. The next part was a path that allowed both hikers and bikers to share. We only came across two bikers. This part of the path was not as well marked as the rest, and I lost the path, resulting in just using the main road to return to my car. Overall, I enjoyed the loop and even though it was very noisy by the main roads, it was not a boring hike. I believe it was just over 6 miles. A good workout, especially for my hiking buddy-who is passed out in the back of the car as I write this!

Friday, July 29, 2016

I customized the trail to keep it under 5 miles and to avoid traffic on Aviation Parkway. I started at the first parking lot at the Crabtree Lake park and walked to the trailhead at Old Reedy Creek road and turned back. It is a good trail. A lot of cyclists use this trail. Quite some road noise while nearing the Old Ready Creek trailhead. Otherwise the lake views are great.

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Lake Crabtree Loop Trail in Morrisville, NC - not a trail I would hike again. Granted, it's March as I wrote this, but it's trashy and very loud due to highway traffic. About a mile of it you walk right next to the highway. Plus lots of people riding bikes and they scare the heck out of you when they ride up behind and don't yell "track." We walked it because it was close to home but won't do it again.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Nice easy trail.

Saturday, December 12, 2015

nice easy trails, boat rentals, bike station located on trail in case you have to repair bike, trails wrap around lake for scene view.

Thursday, November 12, 2015

I love to do this trail on Saturday mornings. it's never very busy and my dog loves it.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

My hike was Loops 1, 3, and 4, about 5 miles all together. Not a bad hike, part of the trail was along RT 40 but far enough off the road so that it was still kind of private, drivers would never know you were there. Not too much to look at as far as scenery, but I thought it was peaceful. I was surprised to see the bike jumps in the middle of the trail area, but thought that was pretty cool. Hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt because if you yell for help you're out of luck, not a lot of people using the trail when I was there. Overall it is a nice place to hike.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

These trails are fun to ride and they are pretty well maintained. I really liked the pump section and the jump section. Also, there are a lot of roots on these trails. However, they need more signage, unless you have ridden these trails many times, they are tough to navigate.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

The photo for this trail is Crabtree Falls located at milepost 339 on the Blue Ridge Parkway just outside of Linville NC...not Virginia. My girlfriend and I hiked to this waterfall back on August 10th this year and the photo attached to this trail description is identical to the photo we took of the waterfall (complete with the downed tree on the left side of the photo). It's a strenuous hike on the way back but well worth it. Happy trails, everyone!

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Great all around park with spaces for many activities. Excellent for families with kids. Great sunset over the water.

Monday, July 14, 2014

I hiked the loop around the lake but didn't care for it much. Seemed to have too much traffic noise even when not walking along the street. In addition to that there was 2 construction sites and business park that took away from the sense of being away from the city. Sewer smells were bad along several areas of the trail. Maybe 20+ sewer manholes along the trail.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

I hiked this loop but would probably not return. Too much road noise along the trail for me. Over 20 sewer manholes emitting sewer gas smells all along trail. Two construction sites on trail. Part of trail hugs a business park and busy street. Don't go here if you expect to find an escape from the city.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

I agree with Rob, as there were duplicates listed for Crabtree Falls - search on Crabtree Falls Trail. Have modified this trail entry to coincide with the six mile loop trail at Lake Crabtree in Morrisville, NC at Lake Crabtree County Park. Apologies to those who confused this with Crabtree Falls off the Blue Ridge Parkway (Robert) - you can reload your pics and trail reviews on the Crabtree Falls Trail - http://alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/crabtree-falls-trail. Hope this helps! btw Lake Crabtree is an awesome place to explore, hang out, canoe, sail, hike, trail run, has lots of bike trails too. The six mile trail is relatively flat around the lake with some brief up and downs that will give you a nice workout. Crabtree Falls Trail off the Blue Ridge is on my list to hike soon.

Thursday, May 01, 2014

Great suburban trail, with lovely mix of open and wooded areas. While you do walk near roadways and office parks at times ,they don't distract from the overall enjoyment. Went during the weekday with my two kids, and they both had fun --saw no bikes and only two other walkers. Entrance to trail is on the right side of the field in front of the parking lot. Recommended.

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

pretty nice trails but not maked the greatest...watch for mountain bikers who seem to feel the trails are theirs alone...

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Nice hike.

Monday, June 03, 2013

Great day for a hike, we hiked all the way around Lake Crabtree. Starting from the park parking lot next to the Old Beech Trail, the lake loop goes counter-clockwise along Aviation Parkway and the rip rock next to the lake, then cuts into the woods to just next to and along Evans Road, then behind the businesses along Weston Parkway. Lots of boardwalks help with direction through the woods, ease of hiking if the area is wet, and there are benches every once in a while. The trail is well marked. There are a few areas with some elevation gain of maybe 50-75 ft. so the 6 mile loop is a good workout. This would also be a good trail running path. The hike goes along the paved Black Creek Greenway before it finally cuts back into the park via the bike trails and the Lake Trail. When we got back to the parking lot we did a quick loop around the Old Beech Trail, which is easy, flat and short and also uses boardwalks and white sand to line the trail. Overall a great day, lots of folks playing volleyball, football, sailing, and fishing. Good day to be outdoors!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Thereis a photo here from Crabtree Falls in Virgina, sorry folks not in the Piedmont of NC!

Monday, May 06, 2013

Lake Crabtree is a great place for easy hikes, trail running and biking. I started from the Black Creek Greenway at W Dynasty and hiked a flat 2.5 mi. to the end at Old Reedy Creek road, went across I-40 for about a quarter mile, then back to the Lake Crabtree Park entrance at the Lake Trail bike section, hiked to the boat ramp, then did a little trail running along the Lake and Highland bike trails - this was really fun because it is a great single track with lots of ups and downs and turns in the woods. After about 3 miles on the bike trails, went back along the Black Creek Greenway to W. Dynasty. Next time will bring my bike, as there are some pump tracks and dirt jumps on other areas of the 9.6 miles of the Highland Trail. You can also rent sailboats and kayaks, or play volleyball... lots of activities at the park!