Kanati Fork Trail

hard 17 reviews

Kanati Fork Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cherokee, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,083 feet Route Type: Out & Back

2000+ foot climb if hiking from US Hwy 441 up to Thomas Divide.

Just in case anyone wonders what the heck was going on with my recording, I was fishing Kanati Fork and using AllTrails to figure out if there was any decent access points farther up the creek (there are not!). Scrambled up from the creek to the trail and hiked back down. As a Smokies hiking trail it’s mediocre, as others have already said. Lots of continuous climbing with no great scenery or views.

I hiked this trail in late June. maybe it is better in the spring with flowers. you can tell there is not a lot of traffic, some overgrowth has occurred and some pretty big trees on the trail to get around. I didn't go all the way up the trail because it was very narrow/overgrown and part of the trail gave way and I almost slipped off the trail. I would consider it dangerous after about 2.3/2.4 miles. if you need a workout it would be good, but doesn't offer much else.

We hiked down from Thomas Divide Trailhead in an easy 3 hours on April 11 in beautiful warm weather. The trillium were spectacular.

Sun Aug 13 2017

Do this trail in late April or early May when the wildflowers are blooming. I saw some trillium during my hike and a few other flowers. I think I only hiked maybe 2 or 3 miles in and turned around since there was only elevation and no actual views.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Hiked the Thomas Divide Trail from Newfound Gap Road turning down the Kanati Fork Trail back to Newfound Gap Road and back. The "and back" part was an elevation gain of 2200 feet. I hiked this one as an alternate because Clingman's Dome Road had not yet opened for the season. You have to love hiking in the Smokies to appreciate this trail. Happy to check it off but probably wouldn't repeat.

Thu Apr 06 2017

Much easier going downhill.

Covered in wildflowers in April!

Mon Jul 13 2015

Did the trail point to point. Challenging ascent, buggy but really nice. Great wildflowers even in July. Parts of the trail were very narrow and unstable. Several substantial logs across the trail. There is no view or vista at the top, but the workout was challenging and pleasant. 2 hours up, 1.5 down.

Sun May 10 2015

Did this last fall and it was very slippery with a lot of side hills. Could use some work on some of the side ridges. Overall good hike and I did it down from Thomas it would have been better hiking up!

Mon Jan 14 2013

I knocked out the Kanati Fork Trail in conjunction with 1.8 miles of the Thomas Divide Trail. Kanati isn't traveled very often, and it was apparent. But, it was a pleasant trip (we hiked down from Thomas Divide rather than up).

Tue Apr 25 2017