John Rock Trail Loop

John Rock Trail Loop is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ducktown, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starting at Cat Gap Loop trailhead at the Fish Hatchery (eastern side) hike to John Rock Loop, up to John Rock for great views (977 foot elevation change) back to Cat Gap bypass then the western side of Cat Gap Loop to parking area. One of our favorite hikes. Challenging, but rewarding.

View at the top is amazing. The walk up and back is moderate, doable for most. Trail intersections can be a little confusing.

Perfect for what I was looking for, today. Stream crossings, well maintained trail, good distance, and great views at the summit.

We chose the moderate way up verses the steep. The way we went was definitely moderate if you just getting into hiking like I am. If you are looking for a challenging day trip this is for you, otherwise choose another trail. Beautiful views at the top!

I'm not sure why this is listed as "easy" but I feel it is strongly "moderate". I'm a 35 yr old female in decent shape and have done plenty of hiking in the mountains. This trail has lots of exposed roots and rocks and has extended sections of uphill.... some crossing small streams with no bridge, some mud, narrow path. And it's not super well marked in some areas, really appreciated the app showing the way! That being said, my husband and i loved it. Great view near the top and plenty of small waterfalls along the way.