Learn more

Island Creek Forest Walk Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollocksville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 2.8 mi Elevation gain 55 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Kid friendly Hiking Mountain biking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest River Views Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Muddy
Description
Waypoints (0)

Note: Parts of this trail may still be CLOSED.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (136)
Photos (75)
Recordings (113)
Completed (188)
Jeff Lawson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Great short hike with our son and baby. Trail is pretty easy for walking there are some roots and down trees along the way.

View Jeff's Recording
Stephanie Clemons
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2020
HikingBugs

I've been to this trail twice and I love where it is and how peaceful it is once your out in the woods but both times the next day I have bites on me. First time they were around my ankles and this last time I had them on my hands. Other than the bites I like it a lot.

Adam Fields
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
Hiking

Interesting swampy landscape. trail not very well marked. lots of fallen trees. Hiked this with a 7 and 5 year old with no problems

View Adam's Recording
Carol Gillespie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike. Lots of deadfall though.

Mark Buck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingBugs
View Mark's Recording
Mark Buck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Peaceful and very nice. Took a shorter version of the trail.

View Mark's Recording
Timothy Ross
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Nice forest hike, we especially loved the section near the river with all the switchbacks. Pretty buggy in places, we were glad we brought our repellent. Lots of fallen trees blocking the path but not hard to get around. Our 6yo son only had to be lifted over one large fallen tree. Also, nobody else was there when we hiked - a plus during these COVID-19 times.

View Timothy's Recording
Jon Johndrow
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 4, 2020
Hiking

One of the prettier trails in the area, I take my dog here maybe once a week. Creek side is a lot more rugged than you would think, and whoever designed this section did a brilliant job. AllTrails needs to update the map, as the entire NE section indicated does not exist anymore. The recording I made on 6-03-20 is the current loop with a total distance of 2.8 miles. Recent windstorms have also created new deadfalls that have to be negotiated. Also, bring lots of repellant! Never had much of an insect problem, until this last hike. Mosquitoes were SWARMING!

Comment from AllTrails

- 3 months ago

Thanks for your feedback. This trail has been reviewed and updated to reflect the comments in this review.

Brian Barbieri
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 28, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Absolutely beautiful trail- lush green with tons of bird and frog sounds in late May. Only thing is that there seemed to be A TON of poison ivy along the trail the entire time we hiked. Made things less serene.... tread carefully.

Robert Celestino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2020
Hiking

This was a wonderful hike. We took the kids and had fun on this cool morning. Roots and fallen trees along the way. It was a bit muddy in some areas. It wasn’t a problem for those who like to hike. And it was easy to navigate with the app. We found some trash along the way. Please don’t litter. Thanks.

William Snyder
HikingMuddy
View William's Recording
Elysia Soriano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 8, 2020

I found it relatively easy to navigate and very pretty. worth going if you're in the area! I took my 4 year old and so its a family friendly trail in my opinion. Small parking area and I was surprised by the amount of people there.

Juan Valencia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 7, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Juan's Recording
Tom C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Good news, if you follow the app you will make it out. Bad news, most of the back left side, there is no trail, or a very over grown trail with lots of fallen trees. Great area. Beautiful trees, water with lots of wild life. Poor maintenance and poor trail markings. Next time I’ll stick to the well worn paths. Great area.

View Tom's Recording
Jocelyn Helget
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 30, 2020
Hiking

My dogs and I love this trail. There are a lot of paths to take that aren’t marked that you can get lost on, but it’s all so beautiful and peaceful. It’s easy to find your way back if you have a sense of direction and follow the trail markers. Even if you get a little lost, it’s definitely worth going.

Amanda Scheibelhut
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 20, 2020
Hiking

This is my new favorite trail. It’s magical. It starts of following the river, which bends and twists in the most awesome way. Then you get to what I call the “big wood”, where giant trees fill a more open area you hike around. The trail splits a zillion times, going around fallen trees or providing a path closer to the river. Take the river paths (usually on the right). The views are worth it. FOLLOW THE TRAIL MARKERS. My second loop around I got LOST AF because I was taking other developed-looking paths, but were not marked. There are countless game paths, old foot paths, and hunters paths alongside this trail you could accidentally find yourself without following them markers. Follow the markers. I’ll 100% be back here many times.

Leon Brubaker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2020
Hiking

Having come from Pennsylvania, I found the large loblolly pines and the Cyprus trees growing out of the reflective black water beautiful and intriguing. The path was reasonably well maintained, sometimes newly worn around storm-felled trees. The blazes should be more clear at intersections. We were able to stay on track with our AllTrails gps, but ran into trouble near the end when my phone died.

Daniel Bland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 31, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grown

As previously stated, it’s hard to stay on a trail after the first mile. Be ready to bushwhack but nothing perilous. Had fun and will come again.

View Daniel's Recording
Hui Guo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 27, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grown

We went hiking in Jan 2020. We liked the beginning part of the trail, and were able to follow the thread-marked trail. The part closer to the creek becomes not so well maintained.

Stephanie Myher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 19, 2020
HikingWashed out

Parts of the trail are great, parts aren’t. A lot of down trees require navigating off trail which makes it difficult. Otherwise it’s a decent trail. You can easily get turned around or miss turns. We ended up hiking down the road a quarter mile because we didn’t see the sharp unnoticeable turn.

paul baker
Gray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 3, 2020
Washed out

Did not like it

Michael Gorball
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 28, 2019
Over grown

Agree with previous posts. the all trails map assisted in navigation, but no markers or trail visible in northwest past about a mile in. Went in and took the path west to start, shortcutted north about a mile in and then shortcut back to first mile by cutting straight south.

joel ellis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarDecember 15, 2019
Hiking

The trail is pretty hard to follow right now. a lot of down trees and if you look at my recording you can see I got lost a few times. luckily the gps worked pretty well, but was hard to tell if i was ever on the trail about a mile in. Beautiful views though.

View joel's Recording
Eyal S. Ron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 27, 2019
Off trailOver grown

An easy 25 hours walk. The beginning of the trail was well marked but aftet 2.5 km the trail disappeared and it became more of a brush hike. We stayed on the south-east side of the stream and never crossed it although the pink ribbon marking and the map indicated to cross. The All Trails map on the phone was helpful to keep us on the direction of the hike.

Mary Rose Scozzafava
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 26, 2019
HikingOver grown

Hiked this trail in late fall. Lots of color and views along the creek were very nice. Comments about trail quality from other reviews were spot on. Inner loop is well-maintained, but beyond that it’s mostly bushwhacking. We kept to the south east bank of the creek when we lost the trail and managed pretty well. But be sure to bring a GPS and ALLTrail map with you!

Sue Goddard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 10, 2019

I should have read the reviews. Got very lost. The trails I found didn't match the map. Did a lot of wandering around. Be careful.