Island Creek Forest Walk Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(123)
Croatan National Forest

Island Creek Forest Walk Trail is a 6.0 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollocksville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.0 km Elevation Gain: 24 m Route Type: Loop

Note: Parts of this trail may still be CLOSED.

21 minutes ago

Absolutely beautiful trail- lush green with tons of bird and frog sounds in late May. Only thing is that there seemed to be A TON of poison ivy along the trail the entire time we hiked. Made things less serene.... tread carefully.

This was a wonderful hike. We took the kids and had fun on this cool morning. Roots and fallen trees along the way. It was a bit muddy in some areas. It wasn’t a problem for those who like to hike. And it was easy to navigate with the app. We found some trash along the way. Please don’t litter. Thanks.

I found it relatively easy to navigate and very pretty. worth going if you're in the area! I took my 4 year old and so its a family friendly trail in my opinion. Small parking area and I was surprised by the amount of people there.

Good news, if you follow the app you will make it out. Bad news, most of the back left side, there is no trail, or a very over grown trail with lots of fallen trees. Great area. Beautiful trees, water with lots of wild life. Poor maintenance and poor trail markings. Next time I’ll stick to the well worn paths. Great area.

My dogs and I love this trail. There are a lot of paths to take that aren’t marked that you can get lost on, but it’s all so beautiful and peaceful. It’s easy to find your way back if you have a sense of direction and follow the trail markers. Even if you get a little lost, it’s definitely worth going.

This is my new favorite trail. It’s magical. It starts of following the river, which bends and twists in the most awesome way. Then you get to what I call the “big wood”, where giant trees fill a more open area you hike around. The trail splits a zillion times, going around fallen trees or providing a path closer to the river. Take the river paths (usually on the right). The views are worth it. FOLLOW THE TRAIL MARKERS. My second loop around I got LOST AF because I was taking other developed-looking paths, but were not marked. There are countless game paths, old foot paths, and hunters paths alongside this trail you could accidentally find yourself without following them markers. Follow the markers. I’ll 100% be back here many times.

Having come from Pennsylvania, I found the large loblolly pines and the Cyprus trees growing out of the reflective black water beautiful and intriguing. The path was reasonably well maintained, sometimes newly worn around storm-felled trees. The blazes should be more clear at intersections. We were able to stay on track with our AllTrails gps, but ran into trouble near the end when my phone died.

As previously stated, it’s hard to stay on a trail after the first mile. Be ready to bushwhack but nothing perilous. Had fun and will come again.

We went hiking in Jan 2020. We liked the beginning part of the trail, and were able to follow the thread-marked trail. The part closer to the creek becomes not so well maintained.

Parts of the trail are great, parts aren’t. A lot of down trees require navigating off trail which makes it difficult. Otherwise it’s a decent trail. You can easily get turned around or miss turns. We ended up hiking down the road a quarter mile because we didn’t see the sharp unnoticeable turn.

Did not like it

Agree with previous posts. the all trails map assisted in navigation, but no markers or trail visible in northwest past about a mile in. Went in and took the path west to start, shortcutted north about a mile in and then shortcut back to first mile by cutting straight south.

The trail is pretty hard to follow right now. a lot of down trees and if you look at my recording you can see I got lost a few times. luckily the gps worked pretty well, but was hard to tell if i was ever on the trail about a mile in. Beautiful views though.

An easy 25 hours walk. The beginning of the trail was well marked but aftet 2.5 km the trail disappeared and it became more of a brush hike. We stayed on the south-east side of the stream and never crossed it although the pink ribbon marking and the map indicated to cross. The All Trails map on the phone was helpful to keep us on the direction of the hike.

Hiked this trail in late fall. Lots of color and views along the creek were very nice. Comments about trail quality from other reviews were spot on. Inner loop is well-maintained, but beyond that it’s mostly bushwhacking. We kept to the south east bank of the creek when we lost the trail and managed pretty well. But be sure to bring a GPS and ALLTrail map with you!

I should have read the reviews. Got very lost. The trails I found didn't match the map. Did a lot of wandering around. Be careful.

Overall this is a good trail. As the latest few reviews stated, it doesn’t look like it has been trafficked much lately. The trail already had been modified after hurricane Florence so there are parts where you have to go over fallen trees to return to the path. I did the trail back in April and it was a lot easier to follow. Yesterday, plants were over grown in the middle of the path. If I hadn’t done the trail multiple times, I wouldn’t have known where to go. There are orange and pink bands tied around the trees to help follow the trail. Those did help a lot. I would recommend holding off on the trail for a few more weeks if you’ve never done it so the trail is more easily identified as more people use it. As others mentioned, the actual trail is pretty short, but you can follow another trail around which makes it roughly 3.5 miles.

Awesome trail! Good mix of incline for being on this side of North Carolina! Will be back.

This trail has not been maintenanced recently. for about a mile the trail is ok, with just a few trees down across the path, but after that is hard to even find where the trail is supposed to be. Virtually no trail markers on the path at all.

the trail was only about a mile long and could not go throughout the whole trail. lots of roots and overgrown. not really worth the trip