Island Creek Forest Walk Trail

Island Creek Forest Walk Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pollocksville, North Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I completed this trail in the beginning of April on a mountain bike. I am new to mountain biking and found it was great for beginners. The trails were not marked the best but the views along the creek were absolutely gorgeous.

Beautiful creek

Badly marked trail. Not maintained very well. Lots of ticks.

Went at end of fall colors with family. Flat and follows along the river so pretty and relaxing nature hike. Fall colors looked great reflecting in river

The NNW portion of the “described” trail started to get really thick and completely disappeared at times. I found myself trudging through semi-thick brush trying to find the unmarked trails of the area. I also walked up on a few tree stands which kinda worried me as well, just knowing that hunters are in the area. The official marked trail is only about 1/2 mile loop but there are a few other trails that venture off beyond the trail. If you want to hike this trail I would highly recommend that you plan an early trip, because if you venture off the main trail you may find yourself hiking in the dark like me and my family! If this trail were to be extended and marked off better I would definitely give it a higher ranking, love the large creek that’s along the trail.

There are really two trails here. A shorter one if you stay on the small inner loop, and a larger 4 mile remote trek if you can navigate its scarce markers. Gentle slopes in some places, but mostly flat throughout. I will definitely hike this again.

Very pretty but would not do it again. The trail is poorly marked. Worth doing once though.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Lovely trail, but had to turn around because of the mosquitoes. bring bug spray and plenty of water.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Easy enough hike. Not well marked in the second stage so you have to keep your eyes open for where the trail actually goes. We ended up in what we think was a deer trail towards the end. Beautiful scenery.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Amazing trail, there was so much life to see during this walk. I only wish it were longer.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

alot of cotton mouth snakes

Saturday, November 26, 2016

This is Game Lands, This is NOT a PARK we have seen 14 bears, coyotes, bobcats recently. Do not enter these area if you do not have the orange on , stay OUT. If you get shot it will be your fault, stay OUT.

Monday, July 11, 2016

A bit plain, but tree knowledge is kind of fun to gain by reading signs around them.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Great little get away, not to far out of town but a very enjoyable trail. Wish I could camp there for the night.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Went on this trail today with my six year old daughter. She loved it. We ended up walking the trail twice. My only complaint is that it says its over 3 miles long but when we walked it, it seem more like only a mile or so.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Well shaded and quiet. Lots of birds and squirrels. nice walk.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

It was a pretty relaxing walk, with some small river running through a small section. An easy trail to start a Sunday with. (Not much of a work out though)

Thursday, April 14, 2016

enjoyed a good walk through :)

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Nice trail but only about one mile is marked.

Monday, February 01, 2016

Great hike! Gotta be careful of where you go though, since the trail is not all marked!

Friday, August 14, 2015

Great trail, not all of it is clearly marked. Will try to figure out how to post the map from a few years ago, or email me for it! Rachelviolin@gmail.com

Friday, October 03, 2014

Went here expecting five miles....got less than one. Then I found out they close part of the trail for some part of te year. Wondered why....I decided to go past the signs and home it out. Big mistake. Ticks ticks ticks. The size of a pinhead no less. Me and my dog were covered. However all this aside, the trail was beautiful. Will be back......with big spray!!!!! :)

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Great little hike. There's 4 geocaches available in this park if you like geocaching.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

I have been on this trail twice. I have taken my Dobermans and they love it. We just don't love the abundance of ticks that we came home with. In the spring, they did not have any ticks but just a week ago when we hiked we brought home dozens of them. I lve this trail, it is nice, quiet and scenic. Small width trails but can be adventurous for the mountain biker. We will return when tick season has subsided.

There are many looping trails that allows both long and short hikes. Both times we have hiked up to 5 miles.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

This hike is a good walk in the woods. Whereas the national forest maintains the .5 mile trial, there are roughly 8 miles of trails attached to it and each other. these are privately maintained but very accessible to hikers and mountain bikes. About 1/2 of the private trails are along fire lanes. Scenery includes a secluded creek with about 10-20 foot bluffs overlooking it. A few gently rolling small hills. it is eastern NC after all. This part does take you down to the creek in a swampy area. While most of the hike is dry, a small portion can get your feet wet or muddy depending on recent weather. The other trails take you into a pine savanna and down an old logging road. This area is very open, while the area around the creek is very wooded and during the summer has a lot of greenery. They say that Venus Flytraps grow here, but I have yet to see one. This hike is very easy. I started taking it with my son when he was 10yrs old. All trails are blazed and well maintained through out the year. There is a small kiosk at the beginning with a very accurate map of all trails. It is all looped so you will always end at the beginning. No need to stage vehicles or arrange rides. Area is hunted during season so wear orange. Also be aware of ticks and other insects in the summer, especially mosquitoes. I find early spring to be a god time to hike. Leaves and flowers are coming in, its still cool, and very little insects or other slithering animals are around. There is no water or any other facilities located here bring it with you. Only a trash can in the parking area. Parking area will hold about 10 cars maybe more if done right.