Horizons Park Loop Hike

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(84)
Horizons Park

Horizons Park Loop Hike is a 2.6 mile loop trail located near Germanton, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 288 feet Route Type: Loop

Rural hike close to Winston-Salem, Piedmont stream and woodlands, and fields. This is a nice hike close to Winston-Salem. It has a nice rural feel to it after you get started. The trails include a couple of different loop options. It is a relatively easy hike with a few ups and downs along the way. The hike offers a wide variety of scenery (Piedmont woodlands and streams, mowed fields, old cemetery). This is a good trail if you're wanting to get away from town for a little while.

Loop B

Did both loop A and B. B has some good up and down portions that get your heart rate up, A easy with a couple steps. Dog did just fine. Downsides - scenery ok, other trails in the area much better. Very buggy and swampy in some areas - had horse fly follow us for over half the trail.

Well maintained. Well marked. Mostly shaded. Loop B is accessible after you start down Loop A. Great for dogs

Came across accidentally due to the mountains closed off because of COVID-19. There’s two trails: A & B. A is a moderate trail and B is strenuous. Defined pretty we so be advised. My dogs enjoyed every bit and there were some streams along the way.

great morning for a hike!! muddy in a few places, nothing serious!

great work out.

Wouldn’t call it moderate unless it’s rained a lot. One of my favorites with my dog.

Thu May 16 2019

loop b was a little challenging for a preschooler, other then that great hike!

Mon Mar 04 2019

Sun Dec 30 2018

I did two laps including the mountain bike trails and ended up with 8 miles and 1359’ elevation gain. Excellent for trail running!!

Mon Aug 06 2018

This is one of our regular spots, thankfully it stays fairly quiet on the trails and in the fields.bLove to bring my dogs here.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Not bad for a quick hike close to town. The few climbs will get your heart rate up.

Sat May 12 2018

Nice quick hike a couple miles from my house. Moderate hills. Good little workout with my Doxie.

Wed Dec 06 2017

An easy, pretty hike, but not a very well-known one. I did this one solo when I wanted some isolation, and I literally saw no one else on the whole loop. I'd like to come back with my dog and take her to the dog park nearby before we hike.

Sat Sep 23 2017

This trail is very up and down and can be quite hard to navigate when muddy. Also there is a firing range near the far end of the trail, so if your dog is scared of guns and thunder, beware!

Tue Sep 05 2017

Very fun single track, with a nice touch of grass cross country trails for added mileage.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Slippery after a solid rain, but very good retry woodland trail. Quite a lot of inclines.

Mon Feb 20 2017

My favorite hiking trail by far and I've only been on it in the winter! It's vast, peaceful and just the right amount of challenging. I love this trail.

Sun Feb 12 2017

Beautiful park. Trails are good short hiking, took my dog and she did good on the trails. It was little warm to wear jeans.

Sat Jan 14 2017

A and B are both pretty easy trails. Good for a quick afternoon walk.

Sat Jun 25 2016

loop b was definitely more of a challenge hilly uneven terrain

Thu Jun 02 2016

Awesome dog parks

Wed May 25 2016

Good spot for a short hike. I like loop B as oppose to loop A but there is a big difference in difficulty. I would say loop A is beginner friendly, kid friendly, and all around pretty flat and easy. Loop B has more incline and brush on the trail (which I prefer), it was very wet when I went. The area was very damp and shaded.

Sat Nov 28 2015

my boyfriend and I really enjoyed this trail. at one point, on Loop A, the trail breaks off into a large open field with a beautiful bundle of trees in the middle. it was a nice detour and would be a lovely place to bring a picnic. and bug spray. but also watch for snakes and junk.

Sun Nov 15 2015

Really nice local park not far from town with a lot of activities...good place for the family. Surprisingly nice trail with two loops totaling 2.8 miles. It includes some rolling elevation changes as it follows along a creek. And it wasn't crowded on my first visit.

Sat May 03 2014

Great hike. Not crowded at all. This is a hidden gem of the piedmont. Trail was in good shape. There may be 1-2 areas that could become muddy after a good rain. Took family on the trail ages 7, 7, and 12. All kids managed well. Great picnic areas as well. We grilled lunch then hit the trail. Playgrounds are well cared for, grills at every table. Looking forward to returning soon.

Mon Mar 10 2014

Best park in the area.....not usually crowded and has a variety of activities besides hiking (Frisbee golf, picnic area, playground).

Sun Aug 25 2013

Easy hiking. Good trails for trail running. Nice place to take the dogs. Dog park here.