Hickory Branch Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Old Fort, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Asheville take I-40 East, to exits 72 & 73 at Old Fort. Go 0.2 Mi. into town, turn Right on US-70, and go 1 MI. to Jct. of Curtis Creek Rd (SR-1227). This becomes FR-482, after 5.1 Mi. from US-70 reach the campground. Go to second camping clearing, park on left, trail begins at lower end of clearing (signed).

Hiked this today with the girlfriend. it's a nice hike and well worth it because it's not far to a nice little waterfall. Seen a copper head in the first place you cross the Creek.

Seemed to us that the trail ended at the waterfall after a little over a mile. The falls and hike in general were pretty scenic. We were disappointed that at the falls there was no where to really have a seat and relax/ enjoy the view. Basically got there and turned right back around.

Excellent trail. Hiked in December after snowfall.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

This trail is very narrow, with poison ivy that brushes against your legs. Thankfully I had long pants on and have never had poison ivy, however those prone to it should be aware. We came across a timber rattler too, which prompted us to turn back around 1.25 miles in. It's located within a campground and there were only a few campers there. I felt uncomfortable most of the time and honestly couldn't wait to get back to the car. I hate to leave not so great reviews however I think it's good to be honest!

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Really fun spot. Once you leave the creek, it's up, up, up. Not lots of views but we got snipits on the switchbacks. The bottom part along the creek was my favorite part.

Monday, August 07, 2017

I liked how it was alongside the river for the dog, however, it was extremely narrow. There were also several yellow jacket nests that I saw which forced me to turn around. It's okay but I don't think I will be going back.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

If you like hiking by a stream, this trail is for you. The trail was marked in red/orange paint. We also passed 3 or 4 small to medium sized waterfalls. After about 1.25 miles in, the hike was mainly all uphill and ended into another trail that was marked in yellow where you could go right or left. We went about quarter mile in each direction on the yellow trail and never did find a view. The campground at the trailhead was very nice with ample parking and facilities, we had a picnic there. In hindsight, I would have stopped about 1.5 miles in unless you just wanted the exercise. Personally, I like a nice view for my efforts and this time is just didn’t happen.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Beautiful hike with my 71 year old mom and 70lb golden doodle (IG @joedog_thelatnersdoodle) Trail has been recently cleared. Plan to do a trail run on it in March.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Really beautiful day, but very dry and smoke in the valley so we didn't do the whole trail. I would recommend this trail after the rains come as the falls look beautiful and I can only imagine what normal year's rainfall would do for the cascades. The trail itself is really nice, a bit overgrown with dog hobble, but very accessible.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Very nice hike. Great view of small water fall about half way in. The "top view" is about 1.4 miles in. If going to 1.75 mile mark the trail kind of was difficult to find.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Yeah the trailhead is pretty hidden. Turn down Curtis creek road in old fort, the road will turn into gravel, keep going till you reach Curtis creek campground, park in the parking lot and the trail head will be behind campground 16c. It's a pretty nice hike. The waterfall is pretty cool, plus there are some nice bouldering spots for climbing.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

So does anyone know where the trailhead is?? We searched for awhile then gave up. Directions are not very clear at all!!

recorded snoops loop