Hemphill Bald Trail

Hemphill Bald Trail is a 13.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Maggie Valley, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Nice hike with lots of uphill. Saw bear twice but they were more scared of me than I was of them. Also tons of elk in the area.

Amazing hike! Feels like I got spoiled my first time out there! Some areas were somewhat challenging with some steep switchbacks but it’s worth it all for the views. Very active wildlife. Ran into some elk on the trail. Just have to step off trail to let them pass. Met some incredible people out there too. Looking forward to be out there again soon.

We hiked from the parking lot to the Bald and back for 10 miles. It's a bit more than 4. The trail is beautiful, relatively safe, and offers a few views here and there. At the Bald there's a bench and a plaque. Great photo op. Be prepared to walk in the pasture with cows or walk along the fence in waist high grasses. I would love to return to hike the whole loop or repeat the out and back. Enjoy.

What a great hike. Did the loop, it was little long but worth the work. Great views and beautiful scenery!! Definitely recommend

My sister and I hiked this trail in the rain, sleet, and snow. What a challenge! We hiked the entire loop. Some horses passed us and added to the challenged. They tore up the wet trail and left their mark.

Monday, October 24, 2016

Perfect fall hike, great views of the mountains in the distance and experience the change in the color of the leaves as the elevation change. This is the 3rd time I have done this hike and this time of year is my favorite!

Monday, September 26, 2016

Nice trail

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Beautiful trail. Saw elk along the way! Be careful as I heard numerous reports that bears frequent this trail. Besides that, it was a fairly easy hike. I will say that it is a 'gradual uphill' most of the way so prepare to get a little bit of cardio work done!

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Couldn't get to it gate was blocking sheep back rd

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

My 17 year old son and I got onto the trail at Polls Gap and proceeded to Hemphill's Bald. The views were really fantastic! The hike on the way was definitely strenuous at times, but enjoyable! After the Bald, we proceeded on Hemphill Bald Trail, but missed our turn at Double Gap. If you go straight ahead at Double Gap, you will be on Cataloochee Divide Trail. We ended up following that trail, accomplishing right at 9 miles total for the day, before we exited the trail at Big Laurel Road where we were picked up by my husband. I sure wish we had accomplished our goal of the whole loop, but we did enjoy a great hike with stunning views!