Hemp Hill Road Trail

Hemp Hill Road Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Waynesville, North Carolina that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November.

Beautiful hike.

View from the top equal too or surpasses Max Patch. Fewer people. (None when I was there.) Beautiful wild flowers. Saw a bear on the way up. Easy walk though uphill.

Outstanding!! We thought at one point that we were never going to reach the grassy meadow off of the gravel road since the road is straight up, but hang in there and you will be rewarded with a trip to Ferguson cabin, a cabin that sits at the highest elevation for a cabin, then onto the Science observatory, and then the panoramic views are well worth the hike! Follow Garret's directions. He was spot on...

Love this trail peaceful and not as heavily used and the views are awesome

Beautiful views from the top!!

Road is wide, gravel road. Some steep parts but nothing too crazy, great views! Science center up here looks cool but didn’t get to go in there, there are bathrooms. Very easy trail I would rate as easy instead of moderate, good for beginners.

Pretty awesome trail. We came just a little before the colors were completely changing in the trees but it was still beautiful everywhere. This trail is not very hard but steep at times. Here's what you need to know:
You're going to come up on a closed gate reserved for special trips for cars to go to the science building (which is cool as crap). Just park near the gate somewhere and start hiking up the gravel road. The gate is the beginning of the laid out trail on all trails. Then you'll reach a split in a pretty grassy Meadow area. Take the first obvious left and you'll come across Ferguson Cabin which is an awesome place that has been around since 1874. There are a few apple trees around this trail and we came just around the time for them to start falling off of the trees. My girlfriend wouldn't let me eat one because she was afraid they might be poisonous but I was going to risk it. I took a few so I'll let you know how it goes.
Anyways, you then hop on the cataloochee divide trail then to take a right to the science building. On the left you'll see a beautiful view of Mt sterling and on the right by the science building you'll see purchase knob and the views behind it. Then you'll head towards the trails to the knob which will be a shortcut back to where you made the first left split off of the gravel road.

Gravel road walk...

wonderful views within short drive of Waynesville

Longer with the hike up the gravel road (about 6 miles), but so worth it!

Monday, August 14, 2017

Would rate this a more moderate/hard trail. Once you get to the top, it's stunning. There are no peekaboos, so you never get a glimpse of anything til the top. There is a nice cabin that offers a place to sit and relax. Would not recommend for kids or beginners or someone who has a heart condition.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Beautiful trail! There were some pretty thick stinging nettles towards the north west side of the trail so we weren't able to complete the loop.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Great views from the top and the cabin was very interesting. Amazing that a family lived and thrived in that little cabin.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

amazing views!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

we hiked on a rainy, cloudy day. we didn't get the benefit of the views, but still enjoyed the area. I would go back again on a sunny day.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Smooth path uphill to the best view of the Smoky's I've seen yet

Sunday, December 25, 2016

Up, up, up for the first half of the hike but it is on a gravel road that leads to a US Park Service facility used for their education or training needs. Once at the top where the facility is located there are options to hike a variety of trails from 1 to 4+ miles in a more wooded environment.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

The best hike I've ever been on! So worth it!

Saturday, November 12, 2016

Very scenic despite not being in full foliage. Moderate incline which made a good hike

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Phenomenal views. Steep at the beginning but very much worth it. It has many isolated areas with great views, to sit and relax, eat lunch, etc. Also, the GPS is accurate. I initially thought it may have been wrong but the beginning of the hike is a dirt road that leads to the trail. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Uphill much of the beginning first few miles and about 2 miles longer (6 miles total) round-trip if you have to park at the gate, but so worth the views and variety of scenery. Be aware that there are bear sightings at times and learn how to be safe if you encounter one.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Good views

Friday, July 29, 2016

Tough climb. Absolutely worth it! Tons of blackberries to eat!! Great drive up too! Hemphill road was gorgeous.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

It was hard but worth it!! Loved the view

Monday, July 04, 2016

Outstanding Great view from top. Hike up was not too bad but added some challenge. Highly recommend

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great family hike with a huge pay off at the top!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

We hiked the Ferguson cabin trail, it was an easy hike. All the plants were beautiful and the hike was secluded, even though there were cars in the parking lot at the research site where we started. I definitely recommend.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Great hike during a great time of year.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I have been on this trail and it is possibly like heaven it is a climb but it sure is worth the whole trip , the park is so nice and i love all of the trails . My sister who is in the other picture even decided to come with me she traveled all the way from vermont with her family to go on a family hike and she became a country girl over day . We all loved this walk and might try it out again soon remember the climb and the destination is worth it .... but always bring somebody you love to enjoy it with you... love karry

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

If you want a good challenge with a lot of ups and downs, this is a great place to go. Pack light because the topo is intense. there should be plenty of berries and natural food sources if rain hasnt been a problem. I have hiked the GSM twice once in a long drought, were water and animals became a hassle. I went 15 miles with one bottle of water, I had springs maked but all of them were dry untill I made camp at Tri-Corner knob. The second time I took this trail it rained every day and fires were hard to get going but the fishing was great and the plant and wildlife were amazing the few times the sun came out. I suggest going over Thuder Ridge, this is a thick rododendren patch at the peak but there is a pile of rocks that you can climb and see over all the vegetation and it is truely beautiful.