Hawksbill Mountain Trail

Hawksbill Mountain Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newland, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

Enjoy a quick 2-mile round trip that climbs over 600 feet feet through rhododendron to a craggy summit and 360 degree views of Linville Gorge and Pisgah National Forest. This hike to the summit of Hawksbill Mountain (elevation 4,009 ft) has an amazing payoff with panoramic views of the "canyon" of Linville Gorge - with the valley floor some 2,000 feet below you. On a clear day, you can even see the skyline of Charlotte - about 90 miles away! The short hike is strenuous with a climb of nearly 700 feet gain in elevation. After hiking Hawksbill, drive about five miles down the road to the trail to the top of Table Rock Mountain, the other dominant peak on the rim of Linville Gorge. You can see both of these peaks from the panoramic perch at Wiseman's View on the other side of the Gorge (near the trail to Linville Falls.) The trail to the summit of Hawksbill begins from the parking area on a unpaved Pisgah National Forest service road. After about an half mile, the summit trail turns left just before reaching the Jonas Ridge Trail (it's an obvious turn with a sign). From here, the summit trail gets progressively rockier and, after 1/4 mile, arrives at the ridge. Just before you reach the ridge, the hike splits. Either trail will take you to the top. The trail to the right is longer and more gradual. Go straight for a short, steep climb. At the top (at a popular camping spot), go to the right for the best views. Go to the left for a better view of Table Rock.

Great views at the summit
Overnight camping you can experience sunset And sunrises

This should be on your top 10 list!

Great for people with a desire for a big pay. You will earn the view toward the top but it’s worth it. Can be muddy and slippery so wear proper shoes and take it slow.

Every time we go to this trail, it’s a new experience and always wonderful. Summer time, it’s beautiful but today absolutely blew my mind. My husky, my 5 year old son, my fiancée and I all highly suggest this trail in any season. It’s a little muddy sometimes but you don’t go hiking when you wanna stay clean!

Some snow and mud--beautiful.

Beautiful place camped overnight got a snow flurry or two. November 11 when we were there

Pretty easy hike. Slippery when wet and it was extremely windy and foggy, so my view was nothing. I’m sure it’s a five star view, but I didn’t get to witness it.

This was a quick trail. Definitely easy to moderate. Some areas may be slippery when wet. Also, we took two wrong turns. There were no trail markers.

An amazing trail but I’d definitely rate this on the “harder side of moderate” - the view at the end is ABSOLUTELY worth it.

Moderate trail with views along the way. I was able to bring my girlfriend (who isnt much of a outdoorsman or hiker either). The first 2/3 of the trail is an easy climb but the last leg is where your calves and glutes really have to kick in. One at the top there are a couple lookouts with amazing views. Make sure to go to the top where you’ll get a 360 degree view.

decent hike up. keep making lefts. at one point there's a sign for parking or Trail and if you go right you'll be going down the mountain around another side. it does have an awesome panoramic view at the top which is well worth the hike.

Great view, quick hike, will get rather crowded on the weekends. Trail is pretty moderate, but gets a little steep towards the top but nothing too challenging.

Decided to go to Linville Gorge for our first ever hiking/camping trip and we were not disappointed! Ended up hiking Hawksbill twice in one evening, the second time to set up camp on top to make sure we caught the spectacular sunrise in the morning. Definitely worth the second trip and 30 degree night!

Great trail. Not too difficult with one of the best views in all of NC. Multiple vantage points at the top.

Beautiful trail. Once you hit the half way mark I would rate it as difficult. Be ready to breathe hard but the view is worth it!

Heavy low cloud cover today obstructed the view at the top. However, a few peeks into the valley floor revealed brilliant fall colors.

Nice hike up to Sitting Bear rock. Made it half way up to Sitting Bear peak but decided to turn back due trail being covered with fallen leaves which along with the steepness made footing to slippery. Headed back to Hawksbill which is always and enjoyable hike. The color in the gorge was nice. Also the screaming jets were and added bonus.

Took this hike a day after a pretty heavy rain storm. Lots of muddy places along the trail. From the base to the top is pretty much all uphill. The last quarter to the top is extremely uphill. The views at the top are fantastic! You can see Table Rock, Linville Gorge and Lake James. It was an overcast day, but the view was still amazing.

This hike was very interesting. It felt longer than what is actually is . We climbed the steep rock part which is basically the end of the hike but when you come to it there’s a trail to the right that takes you to the top as well and is easier! We took that’s one going done and it was easy. A little muddy but worth it. . We did professional photography at the top and the views are incredible! We went in late October and at the top it was very very windy and freezing but worth it . Definitely wanna do this again in earlier fall

awesome shorter hike. I am a bit out of shape so the last 1/3 of the hike up was a struggle but it's worth it. our first time on this trail it was so foggy so today we were rewarded with an amazing sunset view. we got to the trail around 615 pm was up at the top about 650 . coming back was much easier!

Such amazing views from this hike!!! It took us about an hour round trip not including time spent at the summit. It’s definitely challenging the second half of the way up but so worth it. The views are incredible! The only downfall is the lack of trail markers and signs to get to the trail head.

Went there yesterday. Took us about 35 mins to the top. It was our very first hike so I wouldn't say it was easy, especially the part from the middle to the top, but not bad and totally doable for the first-timers. The trail was muddy and slippery so bring some good boots. Visibility wasn't perfect, but still the views were amazing!! Many tiny paths on the top so you can find a multiple cool spots either you go right or left. Our Cane Corso girl really liked it too!

Big bang for the buck. Not too long, and awesome views!

We hiked to the top of this trail and the view was breathtaking. It is quite hard to get up for beginners/ people who do not hike uphill often but the payoff was 100% worth it.

Great hike. Bit of a drive to trail head, but worth it. I'm a casual hiker and made it to top in 40 min. Hope to camp up there soon.

Awesome hike. I would classify as moderate. Slow climb 1/2 way then steepens but not too difficult. At the approx. half way point you come to a sign directing you back to the parking lot. There are 3 paths to take. We went almost straight thru a narrow path down...wrong. The main trail is left. Looks like a large disappearing trail but it opens and continue up. Close to the top you come to another intersection. We went straight and climbed thru many rocks. We came back the other way which is easier. Take your pick and you can have a great lunch at the top. Spectacular view. Feel His presence!

Fun hike - beautiful at the top. One of our favorite trails now for sure.

The hike is moderate but difficult when carrying a large and heavy pack. Campsites are pretty cool and tucked away, good privacy. Only downside for camping is all of the harmless bees and mosquitos around the tree line. Birds are quite loud at night, so I opted to sleep out on the rock. You can’t beat the views though! Watched an amazing sunset/sunrise, and there was a full moon with that rise and set offering great opportunities for photos. Highly recommend staying the night if you can.

Great hike! Starts off pretty easy then gets a little harder toward the end but is well worth when you get to the top. My kids hiked it no problem (5&8). Highly recommend!

A small group of three, we went for the sunset. With a hurt knee, it was difficult. But I would do it again in a heartbeat, the view is unbelievably beautiful. Completely worth the effort.