Harris Lake Peninsula Trail

Harris Lake Peninsula Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Hill, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Orange blazes with hiker image mark the route of the Peninsula trail. Single blaze indicate main trail route and double blaze indicates loop off of main trail.

The trail is usually clear with bridges over wash out and wet areas. I usually take my dog with me and they have to be leashed. Lots of beautiful views of the lake. Terrain is slightly hilly but not to the point of being strenuous. Vast majority of the trail is shaded so great for hotter weather and usually the lake has a breeze coming off the water. Bring bug spray if there's no breeze the biting flies and mosquitos can be a little persistent. There are benches spread out throughout the trail to take rest breaks. Bring water for drinking there is none on the trail.

Trail is nice, good condition. Didn't see many people which meant I ended up getting a lot of spiderwebs on me. There were some annoying flies that wouldn't leave me alone and I found some ticks on my dog, but DEET spray kept them off me.

I'd recommend going on a weekend so other people can eat the spiderwebs. Pretty area and cool view of the nuclear cooling tower. Better start running if you hear the sirens go off though, hah.

This park is beautiful and have lots to offer anybody that appreciate’s nature!

Very nice trail through the woods, follows the lake edge the whole way. A few areas not well marked, but overall easy to follow. Excellent parking area, restroom, and playground/picnic area.

great fall hike. easy but farther than my usual city pond loops. great if you don't mind the nuclear tower.

Great hike, easy and nice views. Our pup loved it!

Perfect longer hike for a beginner like me. Nice to see the historical things lake, power plant and more. Very shady and relatively flat.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This was my first trail experience in North Carolina and it was great! Walking along the lake was absolutely beautiful! Most of the trail was shaded which I appreciated - I'd still recommend sun block and bug spray.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Bugs, noise, nuclear plant

Friday, March 24, 2017

Great 5 mile trail loop with impressively diverse scenery! Perfect for hot weather - entire trail is shaded and a nice breeze blows off the water. Good for dogs and kids.
Watch out for ticks and chiggers! Got the worst chigger bites of my life the one time I didn't wear good socks.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Fun trail, but marked very poorly. I couldn't figure out how to get off the trail and took a wrong turn several times. It would be helpful to go with somebody who knows where they are going. That being said, I'm going to try it again!

Friday, January 13, 2017

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Fun hike. Lake views 90%. Cooling tower views make it different. Never v busy.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

it's a beautiful trail just make sure watch for snakes and spider webs.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Nice trail for a family hike.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Nice hike along the lake. Harris Lake is a nice park with a playground, shelters, and some fun activities.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Saw a deer with its fawn.

Monday, January 04, 2016

Beautiful trail with lots of nice wooded views. Was neat to pass by the nuclear power plant. If its been raining a lot it can get rather muddy, but even if you have to leave the trail to get around it, the trail follows the water line so it's easy to pick back up again.

Friday, February 07, 2014

I love this park lots of things for the family to do, for me hiking with my dog and camera. For the kids a great playground and lots of open space to fly a kite. Picnic shelters, grills etc. We like taking a family nature walk then grilling or picnicking & watching the kids play.

Sunday, June 02, 2013

My family and I hiked this trail last week. It is a nice trail that follows the shore of Harris Lake. We also took the history trail I'd highly recommend this as well my kids enjoyed seeing the old buildings and historical sites. We hike here often with our dog.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

Nice easy flat trail and fairly kid friendly. Playground a bonus, but the main event of hiking is sometimes overshadowed by the close proximity of the nuclear power plant.

Thursday, September 06, 2012

For my first hike in NC I would have to say thing one was fantastic! It helped that it was a gorgous day with almost no other people on the trail. I saw great feathers and lizards, the noise of the lake was a little much but after about the second mile I figured out how to tune them out! Thanks.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Great trail for the family. The trail has a park and picnic tables. There are several trails to take and enjoy. Be prepared for ticks!

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Peninsula Trail at Harris Lake County Park is a great short and fun hike for individuals or families.

We spent Mothers Day morning on a quick hike to get some outside time before the rain set in. The canopy of the trees protected us from a light rain--and the view of the water was great with the rain coming down.

The ticks were really bad with an on-trail count of about 10-12 and after hike (man, dog and boy) of around 10+.

Very nice course for a quick hike and it was just as we remembered.