Harris Lake Peninsula Trail

Harris Lake Peninsula Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near New Hill, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 141 feet Route Type: Loop

Orange blazes with hiker image mark the route of the Peninsula trail. Single blaze indicate main trail route and double blaze indicates loop off of main trail.

Great trail with overhead cover and scenic lake views.

nice trail

Fun, Flat and Mostly Shaded Trail. Easy Family and Dog walk. Stay on trail. There are bugs, ticks, and snakes off, and maybe on trail. Keep your eyes open, but it's nature.

Fun trail - pretty flat and not too busy. The only problem is parts of it tend to flood even several days after a rain so make sure you know that going in. There's a few picnic facilities, a disc golf course, and even some audio-tour stops around the trail. Definitely one of the best ones around here.

Great trail, it has been raining but no part was too muddy or impassible except one bridge that looks permanently down. Would suggest having the app re-mark the trail.

Yesterday was a perfect temp to hike this wonderful trail...

I actually took wrong trail but ended up at correct trail - will definitely be back to actually hike full trail.

This was a very nice trail. If you go close to this date, you will need waterproof shoes still. The trail was well marked and I didn't have any problems getting through it. I did walk on the trail through private property, but I was guessing they knew the trail was there and it was well marked even with benches to sit on, so I went on through. Pretty day but the wind was howling!

Great scenery, single lane is better for hiking than walking and would consider this a harder trail for some levels as there is a lot of steep terrain to cover. Dog had a blast very few people.

This is very close to home and a beautiful loop delivering serenity and beauty. It is very easy with mostly level trails.

Due to intense rain lately it was impossible to the follow the trail past .5 marker - zig zagged around. Also heard a a lot of gun shooting which is a bit stressful when trying to hike.

my favorite quick hike getaway.

A fun trail to run with dogs.

Monday, July 09, 2018

The trail is usually clear with bridges over wash out and wet areas. I usually take my dog with me and they have to be leashed. Lots of beautiful views of the lake. Terrain is slightly hilly but not to the point of being strenuous. Vast majority of the trail is shaded so great for hotter weather and usually the lake has a breeze coming off the water. Bring bug spray if there's no breeze the biting flies and mosquitos can be a little persistent. There are benches spread out throughout the trail to take rest breaks. Bring water for drinking there is none on the trail.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Trail is nice, good condition. Didn't see many people which meant I ended up getting a lot of spiderwebs on me. There were some annoying flies that wouldn't leave me alone and I found some ticks on my dog, but DEET spray kept them off me. I'd recommend going on a weekend so other people can eat the spiderwebs. Pretty area and cool view of the nuclear cooling tower. Better start running if you hear the sirens go off though, hah.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

This park is beautiful and have lots to offer anybody that appreciate’s nature!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Very nice trail through the woods, follows the lake edge the whole way. A few areas not well marked, but overall easy to follow. Excellent parking area, restroom, and playground/picnic area.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

great fall hike. easy but farther than my usual city pond loops. great if you don't mind the nuclear tower.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Great hike, easy and nice views. Our pup loved it!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Perfect longer hike for a beginner like me. Nice to see the historical things lake, power plant and more. Very shady and relatively flat.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This was my first trail experience in North Carolina and it was great! Walking along the lake was absolutely beautiful! Most of the trail was shaded which I appreciated - I'd still recommend sun block and bug spray.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Bugs, noise, nuclear plant

Friday, March 24, 2017

Great 5 mile trail loop with impressively diverse scenery! Perfect for hot weather - entire trail is shaded and a nice breeze blows off the water. Good for dogs and kids. Watch out for ticks and chiggers! Got the worst chigger bites of my life the one time I didn't wear good socks.

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Fun trail, but marked very poorly. I couldn't figure out how to get off the trail and took a wrong turn several times. It would be helpful to go with somebody who knows where they are going. That being said, I'm going to try it again!

Friday, January 13, 2017

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Fun hike. Lake views 90%. Cooling tower views make it different. Never v busy.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

it's a beautiful trail just make sure watch for snakes and spider webs.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Nice trail for a family hike.