Harper Creek Falls Trail

Harper Creek Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Short hike to one of the popular waterfalls/swimming holes in the Wilson Creek area. Waterfall with two nice swimming holes. The bottom swimming hole is larger than an Olympic size pool, so you can really swim. Both pools offer swimming, wading, diving, or simply floating. The pools are very deep and the water is cool and refreshing. The upper part of the falls cascades into a deep pool, and it is not uncommon to see people slide, jump, or dive off into this pool. This is a popular place in the summer so expect to see people here on the weekends or holidays. The campsite at the end of this trail is hidden away from the crowds, and is above the falls. This trail shares part of the MST so keep to the orange blazes. There is a rope down a steep rock face to the base of the falls

Moderate hike, glad it wasn’t steep the whole way. Beautiful falls but difficult rope climb down to the base of the falls. A lot of people were swimming there and some even slid down one of the lower falls.

Nice trail. Nice view of waterfall. If you want to go farther take the MST onward

Good trail with very nice views. Trail is fairly clear and marked up to waterfall. When you are driving to this location its hard to find. Google just marked a spot i couldnt get to. So when you are going down the dirt road you cross a 1 lane bridge. About a mile down there is a horseshoe parkinglot. The trail head is there and marked with a sign!! Follow orange blaze...then follow orange white blaze. when you get to the top of the hill you see MST to right. Only follow if your staying on the loop. Stay st on orange blaze to go to waterfall. Trail does have wash out in spots but overall I thought was decently marked and there was a clear path!

nice short walk to pretty falls. Backtrack to the campground and continue out (mst/orange) beautiful views, multiple river crossings, and the reward of the much more challenging south harpers creek falls. trail is 5.5 end to end but after the so. falls, loop back around via raiders camp trail for 2 more waterfalls. lovely area

This little gem was very fun! It has all the adventure.. follow the orange trail markers. The trail gets narrow and steep in spots but if you follow the trail to the left you will come to 2 areas when you can use a rope to get right on the water. Be careful the rocks ARE slippery even if they look dry. ( the trail to the right takes you up to a nice view of the falls but then the trail just ends.) very narrow).

Beautiful diverse terrain

One of the most beautiful waterfalls we have seen yet!

Peaceful hike! Loved having a big pool to swim in after the hike. There are two ropes - a big white one at trail’s end to the upper part between two Falls, and a smaller blue rope a tad before the end of the trail that leads to the base of the lower Falls. I had my dog with me so didn’t attempt the white rope (mostly steep rock and was cautious for my dog ), but we were definitely able to go down to the the lower Falls . I had to help my dog up the bottom rocks back to the trail, and he did fine. I am counting the days to go back and swim- with family this time!

See Kristin Black Yoxall’s review for trail directions.

Stop by the Wilson Creek Visitors Center for a great topographic map of the valley, and some good pointers to stay on trail. This trail shares part of the MST so keep to the orange blazes. There is a rope down a steep rock face to the base of the falls, but I didn't attempt it as I was alone and it was very slick. Enjoy!

3 tier water fall. Would download the map and mobile app from AllTrails if you get lost easy. This waterfall may be my new favorite.

Amazing waterfall! Not marked very well so keep your eyes peeled for the trail

Great hike - oh what a day! 100% worth the rocky road drive, heart pounding hike, and rope traverse down to the water. Made wonderful family memories today! Could have done without seeing the snake, but he was a baby and scurried away so no worries! (thank goodness!)

Decent trail. Not marked well at all. Very wet and slippery in places. Stay straight at first fork. Second fork go right. Third fork stay straight and the falls will be not far past last fork. I didn't go down the rope because i had my two year old on my back. We went back further down stream and played there. Water was ice cold and refreshing! Was very hot and humid and buggy today. Road the trailhead is on is gravel.

great place

Great hike. The path is not clearly marked in the open area, so stay to the trail that leads to the right up the hill. Beautiful waterfalls at the end. It's the perfect spot to cool off. The rope repel into the falls is adventurous.

Definitely a pot of gold worth seeking at the end of this rainbow! The falls are simply amazing. The first quarter of a mile is an uphill climb but the trail levels out and is no problem. The trail is skinny and not marked at all so stay on the path. I took my 3 daughters, all under 10 years old and they all did the trail with ease.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Hike was nice. Rocky and steep in some parts but the falls are worth it

Monday, July 03, 2017

We hiked this trail today. It was great. The kids loved being able to swim when we reached the falls. The rocks are slippery at the waters edge and make sure to use the rope going down and up from the falls.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Loved this hike. Very steep climb in the beginning but so worth it when you reach the falls. Absolutely beautiful and extremely deep swimming hole. It's one of my favorite hikes.

Sunday, April 30, 2017

view at the waterfalls is worth it.

Friday, April 21, 2017

nice little hike in with the first part being a rough uphill climb especially with lots of gear. after that it's a fairly simple steady hike following the river. multiple good spots to camp along the way but would recommend the first campsites past the falls. very nice spot on the river with a sandy beach and fire ring, as well as a short walk following the river to the falls, be careful not to go over though. the first falls is a horseshoe shape and falls about 10 feet Into a deep pool with about 30 feet of water before the 30 foot falls. very nice places to sit and meditate or medicate ☘right by the falls. all in all great trip to a beautiful spot.
dropped a camo portable speaker down the big falls, let's see if you can find it...

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Great trail with a awesome water fall and swimming hole

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Beautiful hike

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Super day hike for my young boys. We could play up there for days. Looking forward to making some memories in the Gorge this summer.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

in/out trail - 3 miles with my tribe. Awesome boulder playground next to creek before the lower fall summit. We loved it! Lots of places to camp.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Short but fun hike with a great swimming hole for the summertime and beautiful waterfall all of the year

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Beautiful drive since this is near wilsons creek. The rope climb to the falls is not for everyone but it is a great spot to see. Tent and Hammock camping spots are a few hundred yards before the falls near the water. One of my top 3 favorite hammock camping spots I have found.

Monday, September 05, 2016

pretty great hike-just very crowded prob from holiday... like to try again in fall!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

We attempted this "easy" trail and found it not to be so. The initial ascent is longer than 100 feet and is rocky. While the rest of the trail is relatively flat, there are some tricky bits and ankle twisting roots, so you need to be careful. There are also several slippery stream crossings. I and my hiking companion (both 60) found this to be a more moderate trail. It was an interesting walk, with lots of birds, flowers, and interesting terrain. We turned back just before the falls (we were not sure we were in the right place and had about hiked our limit when we came to the ascent near the end) and will do it again, but for those looking for easy, you should probably consider both the distance and the steep ascent both at the beginning and then as you approach the falls. I would rate this trail as a moderate.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great trail with awesome diving and hiking