Harper Creek Falls Trail

Harper Creek Falls Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Collettsville, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Short hike to one of the popular waterfalls/swimming holes in the Wilson Creek area. Waterfall with two nice swimming holes. The bottom swimming hole is larger than an Olympic size pool, so you can really swim. Both pools offer swimming, wading, diving, or simply floating. The pools are very deep and the water is cool and refreshing. The upper part of the falls cascades into a deep pool, and it is not uncommon to see people slide, jump, or dive off into this pool. This is a popular place in the summer so expect to see people here on the weekends or holidays. The campsite at the end of this trail is hidden away from the crowds, and is above the falls. This trail shares part of the MST so keep to the orange blazes. There is a rope down a steep rock face to the base of the falls

One of the most beautiful waterfalls we have seen yet!

Peaceful hike! Loved having a big pool to swim in after the hike. There are two ropes - a big white one at trail’s end to the upper part between two Falls, and a smaller blue rope a tad before the end of the trail that leads to the base of the lower Falls. I had my dog with me so didn’t attempt the white rope (mostly steep rock and was cautious for my dog ), but we were definitely able to go down to the the lower Falls . I had to help my dog up the bottom rocks back to the trail, and he did fine. I am counting the days to go back and swim- with family this time!

See Kristin Black Yoxall’s review for trail directions.

Stop by the Wilson Creek Visitors Center for a great topographic map of the valley, and some good pointers to stay on trail. This trail shares part of the MST so keep to the orange blazes. There is a rope down a steep rock face to the base of the falls, but I didn't attempt it as I was alone and it was very slick. Enjoy!

3 tier water fall. Would download the map and mobile app from AllTrails if you get lost easy. This waterfall may be my new favorite.

Amazing waterfall! Not marked very well so keep your eyes peeled for the trail

Great hike - oh what a day! 100% worth the rocky road drive, heart pounding hike, and rope traverse down to the water. Made wonderful family memories today! Could have done without seeing the snake, but he was a baby and scurried away so no worries! (thank goodness!)

Decent trail. Not marked well at all. Very wet and slippery in places. Stay straight at first fork. Second fork go right. Third fork stay straight and the falls will be not far past last fork. I didn't go down the rope because i had my two year old on my back. We went back further down stream and played there. Water was ice cold and refreshing! Was very hot and humid and buggy today. Road the trailhead is on is gravel.

great place

Great hike. The path is not clearly marked in the open area, so stay to the trail that leads to the right up the hill. Beautiful waterfalls at the end. It's the perfect spot to cool off. The rope repel into the falls is adventurous.

Definitely a pot of gold worth seeking at the end of this rainbow! The falls are simply amazing. The first quarter of a mile is an uphill climb but the trail levels out and is no problem. The trail is skinny and not marked at all so stay on the path. I took my 3 daughters, all under 10 years old and they all did the trail with ease.

Hike was nice. Rocky and steep in some parts but the falls are worth it

We hiked this trail today. It was great. The kids loved being able to swim when we reached the falls. The rocks are slippery at the waters edge and make sure to use the rope going down and up from the falls.

Loved this hike. Very steep climb in the beginning but so worth it when you reach the falls. Absolutely beautiful and extremely deep swimming hole. It's one of my favorite hikes.

view at the waterfalls is worth it.

nice little hike in with the first part being a rough uphill climb especially with lots of gear. after that it's a fairly simple steady hike following the river. multiple good spots to camp along the way but would recommend the first campsites past the falls. very nice spot on the river with a sandy beach and fire ring, as well as a short walk following the river to the falls, be careful not to go over though. the first falls is a horseshoe shape and falls about 10 feet Into a deep pool with about 30 feet of water before the 30 foot falls. very nice places to sit and meditate or medicate ☘right by the falls. all in all great trip to a beautiful spot.
dropped a camo portable speaker down the big falls, let's see if you can find it...

Great trail with a awesome water fall and swimming hole

Beautiful hike

Super day hike for my young boys. We could play up there for days. Looking forward to making some memories in the Gorge this summer.

in/out trail - 3 miles with my tribe. Awesome boulder playground next to creek before the lower fall summit. We loved it! Lots of places to camp.

Short but fun hike with a great swimming hole for the summertime and beautiful waterfall all of the year

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Beautiful drive since this is near wilsons creek. The rope climb to the falls is not for everyone but it is a great spot to see. Tent and Hammock camping spots are a few hundred yards before the falls near the water. One of my top 3 favorite hammock camping spots I have found.

Monday, September 05, 2016

pretty great hike-just very crowded prob from holiday... like to try again in fall!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

We attempted this "easy" trail and found it not to be so. The initial ascent is longer than 100 feet and is rocky. While the rest of the trail is relatively flat, there are some tricky bits and ankle twisting roots, so you need to be careful. There are also several slippery stream crossings. I and my hiking companion (both 60) found this to be a more moderate trail. It was an interesting walk, with lots of birds, flowers, and interesting terrain. We turned back just before the falls (we were not sure we were in the right place and had about hiked our limit when we came to the ascent near the end) and will do it again, but for those looking for easy, you should probably consider both the distance and the steep ascent both at the beginning and then as you approach the falls. I would rate this trail as a moderate.

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Great trail with awesome diving and hiking

Friday, July 01, 2016

Great easy trail, beautiful waterfalls! And good swimming holes!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Nice, easy trail with beautiful scenery and plenty of camping space.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Great hike! The first 100 or so feet is steep but after that it levels out and is an easy hike. Great place to hike or camp. Plenty of areas to stay the night.
Water is cool and cold.

Friday, January 08, 2016

Excellent running trail once you are past the first 100 meters. This trail follows the creek most of the way and has an excellent waterfall with ropes set up to access the bottom from the trail. There is also plenty to explore off the trail in many spots.

Monday, September 21, 2015

Wonderful hike and beautiful waterfall. Great place to take your friends, go camping, and wake up for a morning swim.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Wonderful trail, my new favorite. The initial climb gets the heart pumping, but it quickly levels out. The Popsicle loves the pools too.