Hanging Rock Trail

Hanging Rock Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 603 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Challenging enough to feel accomplished but still do-able. Well worth the beautiful views at the top. Very heavy traffic, be prepared.

Decent trail, and decent enough to feel like we had accomplished something. The views were amazing from up top.

We hiked this trail last fall. After the hike, I was definitely ready to take a nap. I thought the stairs were never ending. The trail is pretty strenuous near the top and if you are carrying a backpack, it makes it even more difficult. Usually, I do not tire easily, but this trail had me wishing I had left my backpack in the car. On the way back is pretty decent since it is all downhill. Once you hike to the summit, you have to turn around and come back the way you came. Once on top of the Mountain, the view is well worth the hike. So many beautiful views and many places to sit and take a break.

I didnt think the stairs would ever end, but we went on Sunday evening, and there was hardly anyone on the trail. The view at the top was amazing, as we got there In time for sunset.

very crowded every time we go. Once a year I do the River to Rick challenge with great delight. I recommend doing it if you love this trail

Excellent well maintained trail. Very crowded on the weekends best to go early or in the middle of the week.

Very crowded on a Saturday, but everyone was super nice! Challenging on my knees so I had to take it slow. The views were worth the time! Great hike.

This is always a 'go to' trail for just getting out of town and getting into nature. Includes areas of easy, moderate and strenuous hiking with some of the most amazing views at the end. Tends to be more crowded than some of the other trails at Hanging Rock Park, but is always a beaute of a hike!

very exhausting due to stairs but the view was extremely worth it.

Serious climbing requires but well maintained.

Always a nice short hike. Takes more like 1.5 hours goofed off at the top for a while.

Nice and dry today. Nice views!

great hike with great views. completed with wife and 3 kids. 14, 12, and 9. tough hike with lots of elevation changes.

recorded Hanging Rock Trail

Medium-heavy trafficked trail. Easy hike with a few steep sections. The trail itself is heavily beaten down. Views are definitely worth it.

The view at top is totally worth the hike. My 9 year old did great with a few breaks.

I’m just getting into hiking, and I definitely had to stop a couple times to catch my breath on the way up, but that view at the top? Totally worth it! I could’ve stayed up there for hours. My husband and I are definitely gonna go back.

Hiked 3-19-19. 45F when out there, which is nice. Always a great trail to hike. Always busy, especially at the top. All the steps to the peak are a challenge, even coming down. But there are lots of places to take a break if needed. The trail is wide, so plenty of room for everyone. The peak is completely open, so watch your footing, as there have been accidental falls from the peak with bad results. Will do again, but usually only about once a year, for the amazing view. I prefer less traveled trails. Don't pass this one up!

Beautiful place to hike with a beautiful. The staff at the park were super sweet and helpful.

Gorgeous hike up to an amazing vista. Go earlier in the morning to avoid the heavy afternoon traffic on the trail, this hike is very popular with local Greek Life organisations. Trail IS dog friendly, but larger breeds may want to avoid as the ascent could be bad for hips and elbows in breeds prone to dysplasias. Bring plenty of water, lunch, and your camera/binoculars for a little retreat at the summit.

Hanging Rock by Wolf Rock