Hanging Rock Trail

Hanging Rock Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Challenging enough to feel accomplished but still do-able. Well worth the beautiful views at the top. Very heavy traffic, be prepared.

15 minutes ago

Great trail. Spectacular view.

Great trail, view is amazing, but a little too short for my taste.

Wonderful views. Can't wait to go back. Go early to beat some of the crowd!!

The best trail in the park in my opinion. The day I hiked it was super foggy/rainy so views from the summit were zero. The fog up there made it feel like being in a cloud, so it was still very neat.

Amazing view and enjoyable hiking..

came here on my first trip to North Carolina. was an amazing hike and well worth the drive

Amazing views!!! We had a lot of fun exploring the different trail options. Be sure to check out the waterfalls!

Very smooth trail for beginners

Not too long of a hike, but gets steep and challenging right at the top. BEAUTIFUL views from multiple lookout points - and great photo opportunities at hanging rock!

very good trail, I made the mistake of having to many drinks the night before and it made the trail a little bit tougher

The views at the top were gorgeous, and it was a good workout..but very crowded, loud and lots of trash! I would only go back very early in the morning or maybe in the fall/winter months.

A nice trail but ALWAYS busy. Very steep stair-step type of climb for a long stretch with nice views at the top.

This park was very clean and well organized. The staff were friendly, and the people on the trails were pleasant. There were all sorts of different kinds of people, and it made nice for hiking alone. As for the terrain, I wouldn’t go if you want to just stroll through the woods. There were many handmade stairs and many rocks, and to get up to hanging rock was crazy! I died three times, but when i got to the top it was all worth it. You can hike barefoot for about half the trail if you would like, which i did, and it was comfortable and made for a better grip on the rocks. (At your own risk) the waterfalls weren’t as big as i would have thought but nice to hear the running water down the rocks, but since it was so busy it wasn’t as rewarding due to people being there. I did go on a weekend so that had something to do with it I’m sure. All in all, i enjoyed myself and got an awesome workout. The best things is i got to reflect and appreciate gods creation.

It was okay the trail had some good views and very crowed I would recommend the trail still

Great day hike and great to wear out your kids or dogs!

This was an excellent trail for all age types. We walked it in a moderate rain shower and only got a little wet. The view at the top I’m sure is gorgeous, but was completely blocked by the clouds on this day. A paved trail followed by a dirt trail followed by a steep stair incline (that could get slick in a hard rain). Overall, a fun hike with an average workout.

The ending is worth it. I took my 9 and 14yr old on a hot day. With all the tree coverage it gave us a cool breeze. The hike was great and fun. It definitely has some beautiful sights.

The hike is very good. Crowded is correct. Finished at the rock after the 5 peak, 5 waterfall challenge

Call this hike a barn fire, because its a real calf burner....

Anyway, nice short hike that can be done comfortably in 2 hours, and has a really rewarding payoff view. Plus can pair it with waterfall hikes in the state park from the parking lot for a rewarding afternoon.

We went during Easter weekend and wow was it crowded!! So many dogs too. I brought my 2 dogs and they loved it too. The first part was paved and the closer you get to hanging rock- the steeper it is.

A good hike with scenic views. We hiked this on a Saturday and there were way too many people for us. Would hike it again during the week.

Just went yesterday (jan 4th). Pretty cold and windy so there was not many other people out. The hike is nice and the view from the peak is awesome. If you are going another great thing to check out is cascade falls which is only 0.3miles from the visitor center and is even handy-cap assessable. The falls are really pretty and are frozen right now.

Pleasantly surprised! The view from the top was much better than expected. We went in mid December and there wasn’t anyone else on the trail. I’m sure really pretty when all the leaves and foliage come back.

Beautiful view from the top, especially during autumn foliage. Lots of stairs but totally worth it when you finally reach the top!

the view was incredible and while at the top a young couple asked me to take their picture, while I was taking the picture the young man got down on his knee and asked her to marry him!!!!! it was a beautiful experience!!

Great climb! Great views! LOTS of people.

Decent trail, nice views, made so most anyone can make it to the top. Very busy.

Awesome. There was an amazing view at the top.

Moderately difficult hike with an incredible payoff. A little busy for my taste, but a good challenge, nice distance, and a beautiful scene once you get to the Hanging Rock vista.

As a former regular hiker starting over, this was a great trail to complete as a beginner. Challenging enough to feel accomplished but still do-able. Well worth the beautiful views at the top. Very heavy traffic, be prepared for a lack of trail etiquette.