Hanging Rock Trail

Hanging Rock Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Danbury, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Challenging enough to feel accomplished but still do-able. Well worth the beautiful views at the top. Very heavy traffic, be prepared.

Great day hike and great to wear out your kids or dogs!

This was an excellent trail for all age types. We walked it in a moderate rain shower and only got a little wet. The view at the top I’m sure is gorgeous, but was completely blocked by the clouds on this day. A paved trail followed by a dirt trail followed by a steep stair incline (that could get slick in a hard rain). Overall, a fun hike with an average workout.

The ending is worth it. I took my 9 and 14yr old on a hot day. With all the tree coverage it gave us a cool breeze. The hike was great and fun. It definitely has some beautiful sights.

The hike is very good. Crowded is correct. Finished at the rock after the 5 peak, 5 waterfall challenge

Call this hike a barn fire, because its a real calf burner....

Anyway, nice short hike that can be done comfortably in 2 hours, and has a really rewarding payoff view. Plus can pair it with waterfall hikes in the state park from the parking lot for a rewarding afternoon.

We went during Easter weekend and wow was it crowded!! So many dogs too. I brought my 2 dogs and they loved it too. The first part was paved and the closer you get to hanging rock- the steeper it is.

A good hike with scenic views. We hiked this on a Saturday and there were way too many people for us. Would hike it again during the week.

Just went yesterday (jan 4th). Pretty cold and windy so there was not many other people out. The hike is nice and the view from the peak is awesome. If you are going another great thing to check out is cascade falls which is only 0.3miles from the visitor center and is even handy-cap assessable. The falls are really pretty and are frozen right now.

Pleasantly surprised! The view from the top was much better than expected. We went in mid December and there wasn’t anyone else on the trail. I’m sure really pretty when all the leaves and foliage come back.

Beautiful view from the top, especially during autumn foliage. Lots of stairs but totally worth it when you finally reach the top!

the view was incredible and while at the top a young couple asked me to take their picture, while I was taking the picture the young man got down on his knee and asked her to marry him!!!!! it was a beautiful experience!!

Great climb! Great views! LOTS of people.

Decent trail, nice views, made so most anyone can make it to the top. Very busy.

Awesome. There was an amazing view at the top.

Moderately difficult hike with an incredible payoff. A little busy for my taste, but a good challenge, nice distance, and a beautiful scene once you get to the Hanging Rock vista.

As a former regular hiker starting over, this was a great trail to complete as a beginner. Challenging enough to feel accomplished but still do-able. Well worth the beautiful views at the top. Very heavy traffic, be prepared for a lack of trail etiquette.

Not a hike to be underestimated. if you're like me and you hike/walk quickly you'll definitely be sweaty at the top (depending on the season). I've made it to the top and back in 40 minutes so it's not too bad. There will be plenty of people at the top so don't expect to have a nice quiet view, you'll get nothing but conversation and kids crying. Truthfully I'd love this hike if it weren't for the obnoxiousness of other patrons at the park.

Awesome views. A lot of foot traffic but I'm guessing because it was a holiday

Nice trail. Get there early, like I did, and you'll have the cliffs to yourself. Rated as moderate, but I thought it was more strenuous than that. Great views. There are lots of meandering trails up top, so I found it a little trying to find the right way down the mountain.

This place was awesome. My wife and I did that today and had a blast.

Moderately difficult hike, lots of stairs for the knees but beautiful views and scenery. The top is well worth the energy.

Absolutely stunning views and sunset

Well worth the treat, but the stone steps were a killer in 85 degree temps.

I took my mom here for one of her first "moderate" hikes and she did pretty well but definitely made a few stops going up hill. The amount of trash left behind by people in this park is insane though. It's a free park, so if you care enough please bring a trash bag along and help clean up!

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Beautiful mountain views. Moderately hard trail/incline. Gorgeous, FREE park. Enjoyed very much and highly recommend.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

while it is a bit short the elevation+the view make up for it. Overall one of the better trails in NC and the first one we hiked using this app.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

Great afternoon walk for a great view.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

I'm sure I'd label this as kid friendly or even moderate, it's an amazing hike!

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fun for the whole family... Even the fur baby's...

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

This trail is easy to navigate, just bring your water! If quiet is what you seek, Early mornings are best, because this trail gets crowded fast. I went on Easter Sunday, which was actually not busy at all. The Steep hills will give your mind and your body a workout! A beginner could totally complete this trail. Bring a journal, because the top has some beautiful rock formation, and delightful views that will inspire you! Depending on your cell phone service provider, be prepared- you may have little to no service for much of the time on the trails. Cheers to the journey!