Hanging Rock State Park Five Peaks Loop Trail

Hanging Rock State Park Five Peaks Loop Trail is a 9.5 mile loop trail located near Flat Shoals, North Carolina that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'm a little dubious on the 9.8 mile estimate, as I clocked in 13.1 on my trip through. I recommend going "backwards" and approaching Moore's Knob first. It's a great early win before you head back into the woods for your next summit. The hike is long, and strenuous at times, but doable for anyone with modest hiking experience. Bear in mind that regardless of what time of day you go, things will be most crowded at the summit of the Hanging Rock trail (especially in fall, and especially on weekends). I suggest at least mid-level hiking boots, as I had two close calls nearly rolling an ankle on one of the more lightly trafficked stretches of trail. As a heads up (and you can see this on the map), one part of the loop is an out-and-back spur to the (if I recall correctly) Magnolia Springs Trail. The top of that feels almost otherworldly. The wild grass and sparse trees up there are downright magical.

Loved this hike. It was challenging and fun. The overlooks are amazing and definitely get the challenge badge. Starting at hanging rock and finishing at Moore's Knob seems the way to go. We preferred to have all those stairs going down to finish their. About 6 hours for the hike.

It’s called Five Overlooks...not peaks.

Five peaks loop is a blast. I hike slow and stopped for pictures/snacks at the peaks and it took me 8 hours to complete.Hanging Rock was my first peak and Moore's Wall was my last. This loop is a great way to see a large area of the park. Don't forget to stop in the Visitor's Center for your challenge badge if interested!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

You get a badge for it. It's 10.8 miles, I did more than 13 miles in 4hrs.

recorded Hanging Rock Loop