Gully Creek Trail Loop

Gully Creek Trail Loop is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ennice, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

Excellent hike, especially if you like creek crossings! I recommend taking the route that starts at the old settlement building .5 miles from the picnic area and begins its decent down to the creek. This route has very steep and rocky slopes as you make your way down to the creek, but is much less steep as you ascend from the creek back up to the picnic area. Beautiful scenery, along with a nice workout. I Highly recommend this hike if you are in the area.

It's rare to find a really tough trail that doesn't take all day. Gully creek only takes about an hour if you are in great shape and are really pushing. That said, this trail is NOT for the out of shape or faint of heart. When you see warning signs at trailheads don't even think about it unless you get excited about the challenge!!

Beautiful hike. First timer and did it clockwise, it was difficult but took our time coming up the normal but strenuous incline. A tricky bit of rock scaling but manageable--worth it all to see the small falls and listen to the sounds of nature.

I really enjoyed this hike. It is not as crowded as some of the other better Blue Ridge Parkway trails. The climb back gets you working. Not a lot of views, but the trail itself is beautiful...particularly as it follows and crosses the creek in several places. You can't go wrong regardless of the direction you take the loop. But I would recommend counter-clockwise only because it is probably a little easier climbing up as you follow the rocky creek.

Beautiful stream crossing, worth the trip. Wish I had seen the advice on which way to do this trail, it would have been much easier.

Fun way to start the day. We opted to do it clockwise (because I dont understand how clocks work, haha) and it was great. The slow hike down the switch backs and multiple river crossings on the decent were tons of fun. Even the trip back up wasn't bad.

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Good trail, be mindful of the roots.

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sunday, July 01, 2012

We celebrated our 41st anniversary while enjoying this day hike trail in 90*+ weather! Thankfully we read on AllTrails.com the wise recommendation to approach the Cumberland Knob Loop "counter-clockwise".

Great advice! Exiting the Loop by way of Cully Creek Gorge kept us cooler & in the shade when we needed it most! Plus the added benefit of the switchbacks were so much easier to traverse than the straight up grind we would have endured otherwise!
Thanks for the "tip"!

Monday, June 18, 2012

Definitely hike this trail in reverse. The traditional "front" of the trail has a series of switchbacks, making the ascent easier if you hike it in reverse. Many beautiful stream crossings. Great place for a day hike.

Monday, May 28, 2012

Great hike -- I almost missed out due to the rather severe warning regarding "serious outdoorsman" only. This is well maintained trail with a number of natural creek crossings and small waterfalls. As it starts at the top of the mountain, it is a descend and ascend trek. Depending on which way you proceed around the loop, either the descent or the ascent will be along a series of small creeks that join into Gulley Creek at the bottom. I would recommend taking it counterclockwise, so you have the creeks with you on the way back up - more excuses to stop and catch your breath! It is a fairly strenous trek -- it took me an hour and a half to complete the 2.5 mile loop from the parking lot area.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Great trail. I really enjoyed it, but I don't recommend being the first person on the trail for the day. I ran into entirely too many spider webs.

Monday, March 07, 2011