Gully Creek Trail Loop

Gully Creek Trail Loop is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ennice, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October.

You want a good workout in a natural setting....this trail will give it to you. I loved it. Did the trail counter clockwise because of the reviews that I read and so glad I did. That is the best way. The trail has a lot of roots and rocks in it but that's typical of most trails that I've done. By the time I got down to the creek my legs were shakey. It's harder going down than coming up. lol There is a lot of small waterfalls in a thick forestry setting. Wear good shoes that grip well. Once you get to the bottom you will start crossing back and forth across Gully Creek over a series of waterfalls, each feeding into one another. It's beautiful! There was a group ahead of me that reached a point where they couldn't figure out where the trail went. Cross the creek! lol Look for other footsteps and you'll be right on trail. You'll have to move some branches and things out of the way. Trail back up is not bad. I had to stop and take a few breathers. I loved this trail and will go back soon to do it again. Highly recommend it. I'm an average person in average shape and I made it. Probably be harder to do with kids and pets, just depending on the kid and the pet.

We went this am- hit the trail about 8:30. My wife and 2 kids 6 and 8 yo. We planned to go counterclockwise but there were no markings at the picnic area that we saw so ended up clockwise. Nice walk down but along the river it is quite forested. They all say there are a few crossings but I swear there were about a dozen. We got tired of them. The walk back up is pretty tough, but the whole trail is not too long so it ends quickly. Not our favorite trail as there are really no views, not even at the knob.

Nice trail along the creek for about 1/3 of the way. The creek is beautiful running down the mountain. You cross the creek a couple of times so your feet will get wet. There are facilities at the trailhead. Very good hike.

Hard

Excellent hike, especially if you like creek crossings! I recommend taking the route that starts at the old settlement building .5 miles from the picnic area and begins its decent down to the creek. This route has very steep and rocky slopes as you make your way down to the creek, but is much less steep as you ascend from the creek back up to the picnic area. Beautiful scenery, along with a nice workout. I Highly recommend this hike if you are in the area.

It's rare to find a really tough trail that doesn't take all day. Gully creek only takes about an hour if you are in great shape and are really pushing. That said, this trail is NOT for the out of shape or faint of heart. When you see warning signs at trailheads don't even think about it unless you get excited about the challenge!!

Beautiful hike. First timer and did it clockwise, it was difficult but took our time coming up the normal but strenuous incline. A tricky bit of rock scaling but manageable--worth it all to see the small falls and listen to the sounds of nature.

I really enjoyed this hike. It is not as crowded as some of the other better Blue Ridge Parkway trails. The climb back gets you working. Not a lot of views, but the trail itself is beautiful...particularly as it follows and crosses the creek in several places. You can't go wrong regardless of the direction you take the loop. But I would recommend counter-clockwise only because it is probably a little easier climbing up as you follow the rocky creek.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Beautiful stream crossing, worth the trip. Wish I had seen the advice on which way to do this trail, it would have been much easier.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Fun way to start the day. We opted to do it clockwise (because I dont understand how clocks work, haha) and it was great. The slow hike down the switch backs and multiple river crossings on the decent were tons of fun. Even the trip back up wasn't bad.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Sunday, December 27, 2015

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Good trail, be mindful of the roots.