Greenway Trails

moderate 19 reviews

Greenway Trails is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Charlotte, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 669 feet Route Type: Loop

This is definitely more of a mountain bike trail than a hiking trail. For mountain bikers, there were some cool twists and turns and even some man-made jumps. For a hiker, it was meh. -As of today (9/9/19), the address marked for this trail (Island Park Circle) does not actually get you to a trail. It is a dead end street with no indicators pointing to the Mallard Creek Greenway. I have no idea how a previous hiker got there from that location (without trespassing onto school property.) I found a residential entrance at 9223 Fairmeade Drive, Charlotte. -The beginning of this trail starting from the Fairmeade parking starts off paved and under direct sunlight. It also follows under powerlines. Ugh. Not my idea of hiking, but it’s a means to an end. -The paved Greenway goes under a bridge (Mallard Creek Drive) and later follows what I’m guessing is a sewer line (it smelled) next to the pretty mallard creek water. The paved Greenway also passes behind a Montessori school where kids in the backyard stare at you. -Once you enter the University Research Park, the paved greenway ends and the rocky pebble path begins. The wooded trail starts at an odd, abrupt 90° turn counterclockwise, and another 90° turn counter clockwise once you’re up the hill, but it is beautiful once you get in there. -The entrance to the actual mountain bike zigzagging trail is *darn near impossible* to spot if you are not following your AllTrails map. (You can see on my recording that I missed it entirely, and ended up accidentally walking up to Governor Hunt Rd.) -The mountain bike trail was a hard trail to follow. Absolutely no parts are marked, and many times I had to refer to my AllTrail map to see if I was still on the right path. It was annoying to have to constantly turn on my phone and refer to an electronic device when I just wanted to be out in nature. (Maybe that is normal with mountain bike trails. I wouldn’t know. This was the first mountain bike trail that I’ve hiked.) Overall, glad I tried it once, but will not return.

First...my life story: I am a Charlotte native and just started mountain biking last year. I enjoy trail riding, jump lines and pump tracks. I recently purchased the Trance 3 as my all around bike and love it! Actual trail review: Fun mountain bike trails with a variety of features from rock gardens to steep berms. This trail and others located nearby if you keep an eye out for them, have been around for the last 20 years according to one of the older techs at the Giant Univery bike store around the corner. It's definitely feels longer than it looks and this map doesn't show the second part that continues to the right of the greenway cut through (according to my Runtastic Mountain Bike app they together total about 5.5 miles). The trail snakes back and forth a whole lot and at times you feel like you're lost going in circles, which I may or may not have done before. I wish the trail had signs or markers, I swear every time I ride I never go the same way as before. There is also a lot of climbing which I'm not a fan of, but that's just because I like going fast. Speaking of there are some nice downhill straightaways and even a couple of fun drop offs. Overall it's a great trail and I love that it's conveniently located as opposed to driving across town to the WWC. As I said before, there are a few other trails located off the greenway. One called Trash is located just a short ride down the greenway going towards UNCC when leaving from this trail. Look for a side road on the right with the bridge, you'll be able to see it from the greenway. Go over the bridge and continue for maybe 30 yards and you'll see a trailhead going into the woods on the left. Trash is pretty short at only 0.4 miles and doesn't have a lot of change in elevation. But someone did build a pretty cool wooden obstacle so it's got that going for it. Happy riding!

Mon Feb 18 2019