Learn more

Greenfield Lake Park Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(63)
Greenfield Park

Greenfield Lake Park Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wilmington, North Carolina that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 36 feet Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

got to see an alligator so worth it! paved trail that goes through city alot of homeless people.

Nice leisurely walk around the lake. It’s always exciting to see the alligators chilling in water.

Love Greenfield Lake! Great for families and dogs. Lots of wildlife - gators, turtles, snakes, herrings, etc. Very clean and well maintained! Nice water fountains for the humans and dogs!

This park is Absolutely Beautiful! I rode my bike around & felt safe & thoroughly enjoyed myself. It was so neat to see Alligators, Turtles, &unique Birds. The views are breathtaking, highly recommend doing the full 4 miles

I enjoyed my walk immensely but my cars transmission blew... Why u gave the experience a 3star

Greenfield lake is awesome in its own way! There are several homeless people so I wouldn’t go alone. I have been on the trail and have been approached by some of the people who “stay” out there. I think they were pretty harmless, but why risk it. During the day, it’s a mixed crowd of people. Cyclists, runners, and walkers are the majority, but there are those who simply sit and watch the gators too! And some doing drugs... just beware. While walking, you will encounter several bridges and observing decks! You’ll see lots and lots of turtles and alligators!!! There is a wide variety of plant species along the trail, as well as birds and other animals! The path is paved so no need to bring hiking boots, and it’s pretty flat! I always bring my binoculars to get a good look at the alligators! Take some water and apply the sunscreen, the trail is pretty shaded but there are some areas where the sun shines on ya pretty hard! There are decent restrooms, and there is a tennis court nearby too. After your walk, you should rent a paddle boat and putt around on the lake! It’s inexpensive and worth doing. The paddle boats have a canopy so you’re not in full sun! At the shed for paddle boat rentals, they do have water for sale.

I went for a run here while in town and was warned not to go at night because it’s dangerous. I would just say to stay aware of your surroundings. Keep your eyes open and head on a swivel. The views are pretty especially for being in the middle of town. I didn’t do the entire loop because I didn’t feel safe not knowing the area and just the strange vibe I got being there. Keep in mind I went on a Monday at 2pm when it wasn’t heavily trafficked(minus the homeless people).

Tue Apr 30 2019

Flat and can use a stroller. Long trail if completed the loop for kids. Some areas in direct sun. Alligators present. Good day walk. Do not go at night unless local and know the area well.

Mon Mar 04 2019

Fully paved walkway around the lake, sometimes along busy roads. Lots of garbage and usually heavily trafficked. Gators in the lake so don’t let your dogs go swimming! Closest thing you get to a good walking trail in Wilmington.

Tue Jan 15 2019

We were in town and mom took me for a unexpected walk. It was fun but it was sidewalks and I like natural trails better. It was too cold out for mom so it was a short walk. They were doing a lot of maintenance work so it wasn’t scenic. I need to go back when mom’s not cold & the construction workers aren’t there.

Mon Dec 03 2018

Seriously disappointed. 75% of the “trail” is a sidewalk along the busy roads and neighborhoods and not even in nature. A woman was doing drugs in the bathroom. Trash everywhere, I have no idea how this place got so many stars

Fri Nov 02 2018

Great little nature getaway in the middle of the city. Hike or bike this in the summer and you WILL see gators in the lake. So if you have never seen one in nature, this is a great way to see several.

Sat Jun 30 2018

This is a great local scenic trail that I have done many times with my four Shih Tzu companions on land as well as in my kayak along the lake's perimeter. Lots of wildlife including birds, turtles and alligators. It also has lots of geocaches for those into geocaching. There is even a neat Wherigo geocache "GC65EFK" which provides you a nice tour that follows this path.

Sat May 12 2018

Pretty area, good for a loop or two for running. Do NOT let your dogs loose or go near the water. I know at least one dog who got pulled in by a gator and never resurfaced. :/

Sun Apr 22 2018

Long paved loop. Great for bike rides. Beautiful scenery. Playground for little ones and paddle boats available for rent but not the best part of town.

Fri Feb 09 2018

Fully paved walk way, 4.3 miles, leave your hiking boots in the car.

Fri Dec 22 2017

I used to walk this loop as a child so I love the views look for the alligators they are there! I’m especially tied to this loop I got married at the fragrance garden! Be mindful though it isn’t the best area walk with caution and with a friend

Wed Dec 06 2017

Beautiful trail with plenty of parking (multiple lots around lake). Watch for broken pavement here and there (usually from tree roots). Be aware of your surroundings and, due to safety reasons, I wouldn’t recommend running here at night. Gorgeous scenery though! I love running here.

Wed Nov 15 2017

Great for a solid distance run and good scenery on the loop. I will say that urban aspect of the park with suspect individuals lingering at certain spots and the odors that also come with urban areas versus other running spots in Wilmington area put this down on my list personally. Still a great run that I take on a couple times a week. About 4.5 miles on my route and does the trick for a midweek run.

Wed Jun 07 2017

Mon May 29 2017

Nice walking but kinda sketchy neighborhood. Don't walk alone

Sat Feb 04 2017

Not crowded so good for a trail run. The lake is pretty, and lots of wildlife there. I wouldn't go it alone for a couple of reasons, but overall a good place to go with a friend.

Thu Jan 01 2004

I've ridden around this lake so many times I've lost count. Parks & Rec keep the area(s) well maintained. The ever so slight elevation changes come up unexpectedly. Very safe area to ride. Typically light traffic. Actively used by the Cape Fear Cyclists.

bike touring