Green River Narrows

Green River Narrows is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flat Rock, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail begins on the Pulliam Creek Trail off of SR 1802. After 1/2 mile notice wooden boards going down to a water fall on the left. There is also a nice camping area on the right about 3/4 of mile down the trail. Go south on this trail for about 1.2 miles. At this intersection, the Pulliam Trail continues south & east and veers left. Veer right down a steep and slippery trail to the foot of the Green River Narrows. The trail is marked by pink ribbons. Caution: this is an extremely slippery and dangerous route to take, but views of the Green River Rapids are worth the trip.I would not recommend taking any children on this trip and you must be in good shape. There are numerous rocks to sit on for sun bathing or watching the Kayaks come down the rapids. On occasion you will probably see abandoned Kayaks and views of the rapids might explain it.

I'm not an expert hiker, but I am an experienced one, and this was one of the most difficult hikes I've done. This is not for children, and not for beginners. As everyone has already said, the Pulliam Creek trail leading to the narrows was not difficult. It's a pretty walk through the woods with the creek gushing down below. But the climb in and out to see the narrows was extremely difficult, especially on the way back up. I sat down for a rest at one point only for a copperhead to slither past me about a foot away from my hand! I think that it would be beautiful to see once the leaves are down. Just be very careful. It's extremely steep and the water is rough and churning. My daughter hikes with me everywhere, but I would not feel comfortable or safe taking her on this one...at least the climb to the narrows.

It is difficult to locate at first. From Big Hungry Road there is a tiny sliver of a gravel turn off on the right. If you look closely you will see the bridge tucked down in there. I missed it the first time. If you get to a big info sign for the Green River Gamelands with a larger gravel turn off, you've gone too far. Turn around and it will be just a little ways ahead and your left.

Tough hike. Well worth the trouble though. The river is absolutely amazing. Not recommended for small children under six unless they are very experienced hikers

Peaceful walk in the woods, then a very challenging climb down to a gorgeous river.

We drove 2 hours to get to this trail and ended up at a parking lot for a tubing place with no where else to go. Waste of 4 hours total in the car. 2 thumbs down because I was really looking forward to hiking this trail.

We were planning on a true "moderate" hike, which this is... until the last tenth of a mile or so. First of all, it's tough to locate. The directions take you to someone's driveway. Keep going downhill about a half mile until you see a gravel pull off area on the right. The sign says Pulliam Creek, and the trail starts as a wooden footbridge. It's a very pleasant and shady gradual downhill with occasional views of the very pretty creek below. After several recent rains, the creek was rushing and had some nice smaller waterfalls. There's a fairly easy creek crossing at the lowest point, then a steeper uphill. Don't miss the nice little waterfall and wading area to the right as the uphill begins. It's very easy to miss the turnoff to the waterfall, which is on the right at top of hill when you hear rushing water. This section is very steep, and you'll be relying on ropes (one of which is frayed) and tree roots to climb down. The series of waterfalls over huge boulders at the bottom is amazing and powerful. Totally worth it. We watched kayakers navigate the rapids. We would have stayed for a couple of hours if it weren't for a pending storm. Not for small children or anyone older or with medical issues. We are 50 and in decent shape, but this was a challenge! Once you get back up the steep part, the walk back to the start seems easy. We got caught in a storm, and the trail basically became a creek, but it was even more fun that way.

read the reviews below. you will be saved. I just dont want to write all that out

Awesome hike with my wife! We got to the point where you turn right and go straight down to the water, but we're unsure that was the way to go, so we went further along the level trail for a couple hundred yards till we decided to turn back and venture straight down to the water. Very much worth it but we definitely weren't in the best shape for the way up.

You get there via the Pulliam Trail. You know your there when you hear the loud rushing of water. It is unmarked but easy to find... then head down, really straight down. Not recommended for young kids as it can be dangerous for them and elderly. Great views at the bottom and what looks like a deep swimming hole. Then you have to get back up. I had to forget about using trekking poles and use the ropes provided... more of a scramble. Fun and challenging.

I tried finding this trail today and could not find it. Any tips on how to find it from the road?