Green River Narrows

Green River Narrows is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flat Rock, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail begins on the Pulliam Creek Trail off of SR 1802. After 1/2 mile notice wooden boards going down to a water fall on the left. There is also a nice camping area on the right about 3/4 of mile down the trail. Go south on this trail for about 1.2 miles. At this intersection, the Pulliam Trail continues south & east and veers left. Veer right down a steep and slippery trail to the foot of the Green River Narrows. The trail is marked by pink ribbons. Caution: this is an extremely slippery and dangerous route to take, but views of the Green River Rapids are worth the trip.I would not recommend taking any children on this trip and you must be in good shape. There are numerous rocks to sit on for sun bathing or watching the Kayaks come down the rapids. On occasion you will probably see abandoned Kayaks and views of the rapids might explain it.

Was not expecting the beauty of that waterfall! The rest of the hike is easy getting there, but when you start that descent to the falls it’s a whole other story. The ropes are useful, definitely take advantage of them. There were quite a few people on the trail including families with children, not a trail for all kids-those kids were beasts! The falls were well worth the heavy breathing!

Nice hike!

It’s a moderate hike in until the end where you have to scramble down a steep hillside to view the falls. Then, scramble back up to the main trail. That part of the hike was certainly not moderate. Someone fortunately tied ropes to the trees to make it easier.

The round trip was 3.2 miles according to my gps/map I posted here. I suspect that the original route was shorter (2.7?) however, it appears that the trail was rerouted long enough ago that the original route was overgrown. I looked for where it may have cut off from the current trail but couldn’t find it.

I was told by a local kayaker who was hiking the trail that the two falls visible from where I scrambled down the ropes were called Sunshine and Rapid Transit. Had I continued further on the main trail I would have come to Gorilla Falls. Maybe next time.

Fantastic hike. You hear the rushing of the Pulliam Creek almost the whole trek down to Green River with a couple of easy crossings. Trail itself can be an ankle-turner - especially with the Fall leaf coverage, but it is well worth the visit. Nice trail for younger kids too.

We parked on the side of Big Hungry Rd maybe 25 yards from the trail head. But, there are lots of pull-offs for folks - saw 6-7 other cars when we got off the trail.

Nice post-Thanksgiving Say dinner hike.

I'm not an expert hiker, but I am an experienced one, and this was one of the most difficult hikes I've done. This is not for children, and not for beginners. As everyone has already said, the Pulliam Creek trail leading to the narrows was not difficult. It's a pretty walk through the woods with the creek gushing down below. But the climb in and out to see the narrows was extremely difficult, especially on the way back up. I sat down for a rest at one point only for a copperhead to slither past me about a foot away from my hand! I think that it would be beautiful to see once the leaves are down. Just be very careful. It's extremely steep and the water is rough and churning. My daughter hikes with me everywhere, but I would not feel comfortable or safe taking her on this least the climb to the narrows.

It is difficult to locate at first. From Big Hungry Road there is a tiny sliver of a gravel turn off on the right. If you look closely you will see the bridge tucked down in there. I missed it the first time. If you get to a big info sign for the Green River Gamelands with a larger gravel turn off, you've gone too far. Turn around and it will be just a little ways ahead and your left.

Tough hike. Well worth the trouble though. The river is absolutely amazing. Not recommended for small children under six unless they are very experienced hikers

Peaceful walk in the woods, then a very challenging climb down to a gorgeous river.

We drove 2 hours to get to this trail and ended up at a parking lot for a tubing place with no where else to go. Waste of 4 hours total in the car. 2 thumbs down because I was really looking forward to hiking this trail.

We were planning on a true "moderate" hike, which this is... until the last tenth of a mile or so. First of all, it's tough to locate. The directions take you to someone's driveway. Keep going downhill about a half mile until you see a gravel pull off area on the right. The sign says Pulliam Creek, and the trail starts as a wooden footbridge. It's a very pleasant and shady gradual downhill with occasional views of the very pretty creek below. After several recent rains, the creek was rushing and had some nice smaller waterfalls. There's a fairly easy creek crossing at the lowest point, then a steeper uphill. Don't miss the nice little waterfall and wading area to the right as the uphill begins. It's very easy to miss the turnoff to the waterfall, which is on the right at top of hill when you hear rushing water. This section is very steep, and you'll be relying on ropes (one of which is frayed) and tree roots to climb down. The series of waterfalls over huge boulders at the bottom is amazing and powerful. Totally worth it. We watched kayakers navigate the rapids. We would have stayed for a couple of hours if it weren't for a pending storm. Not for small children or anyone older or with medical issues. We are 50 and in decent shape, but this was a challenge! Once you get back up the steep part, the walk back to the start seems easy. We got caught in a storm, and the trail basically became a creek, but it was even more fun that way.

read the reviews below. you will be saved. I just dont want to write all that out

Awesome hike with my wife! We got to the point where you turn right and go straight down to the water, but we're unsure that was the way to go, so we went further along the level trail for a couple hundred yards till we decided to turn back and venture straight down to the water. Very much worth it but we definitely weren't in the best shape for the way up.

You get there via the Pulliam Trail. You know your there when you hear the loud rushing of water. It is unmarked but easy to find... then head down, really straight down. Not recommended for young kids as it can be dangerous for them and elderly. Great views at the bottom and what looks like a deep swimming hole. Then you have to get back up. I had to forget about using trekking poles and use the ropes provided... more of a scramble. Fun and challenging.

I tried finding this trail today and could not find it. Any tips on how to find it from the road?

Monday, January 23, 2017

Loved it! Great hike with a nice reward.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

For your information, of those of you who have wrote here.
For those of you writing of a green river narrows, trail,, Is not a trail in the Green River Gamelands
of that name. Green river narrows is a section of the Green river.
The trail used to arrive to the narrows, is Pulliam Creek Trail. off Big Hungry Road.
( about a 1 1/2 miles to spur (side) trail). from parking area.
( Is quite a dangerous trial. ) is on the right side of Pulliam creek trail. starts off as a visual trail, with a few switchbacks, then goes straight down to the river.
Pulliam Creek Trail eventually comes to Bear Branch Trail, which is on the left, an then comes to the
Green River cove trail. The Green River cove trail, if you continue on trial straight, blazed blue,
will take you to Green River Cove Road. about 3 miles.
If you go right, blue blaze, will take you to the Green river. about 1/2 mile.
**** New Trail maps are available at the Visitors Center on S. Main Street in Hendersonville , NC.
(across from Suntrust Bank. The maps include all 9 Trails in the Gamelands.
( Trail Maintainer. Wants you to be aware. Also, take water an snacks when you ever go Hiking.)

Friday, December 30, 2016

Easy hike for the fist mile or so and mostly down hill. The blue and white markers sometimes turn all white so don't be alarmed when you see them. After crossing the second foot bridge look for the trail that splits off to the right heading down the hill towards the sound of rushing water. You'll know that you are on the right path when you see the ropes around the first corner. The ropes are handy going down for the less agile or if it is wet, but the climb back out is easier. The waterfall is nice but probably the most hazardous part of the hike. Overall it is a very rewarding hike.

Thursday, December 22, 2016

I have a feeling a lot of the people who are reviewing this trail really did the Pinnacle trail because once you get to the lay section of the Green River Narrows Trail it is ROUGH. The trail was awesome, but the last part is not for everyone. It is a very steep downhill with ropes to keep you from falling down a steep hill. You can also do some bouldering around the river if you want. Just remember to follow the blue blaze that is hidden under the white blaze on the trail. The Pinnacle Trail and Green River Narrows Trail run together until the Green River trail splits off to the right after passing two bridges.

Friday, November 11, 2016

This is an awesome trail. The trail is fairly easy mostly down hill as you hike into the Forrest. There are two small bridges to cross before you get to the trail leading to the falls. The trail to the falls off slightly to the right marked with a blue tag. The trail to the falls is steep. There are ropes to assist you as you climb down. You will need them. The trail angles right and is a little more steep as you reach the base to the falls. I would highly recommend this trail. My dog handle it with ease.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

We were the only ones there on an October Wednesday, unless you count the turkeys. Most of the hike was just OK. Clearly marked, well-maintained trails. Some views. The descent to the falls was pretty challenging. Even in dry conditions, it was slippery. Lots of leaves and loose dirt. Our three legged pup did most of the hike without assistance (he's part billy goat). I had to carry him for one short section. The falls are definitely the highlight of the trip. They're beautiful. We spent an hour just enjoying our private oasis. This was a great way to spend a fall afternoon. Highly recommended.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Wooded hike along the ridge of the creek, easy for the 80% of the hike, fun part is in the last 20% though! Ropes guiding you down the steep descent to the green river narrows. Excellent spot once you get down there. Cascading little water falls and big rocks. I'd go again. The trail is primarily dirt and clay, wouldn't do while raining.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The trail itself is not all that exciting and it is very easy, being mostly downhill all the way to the split. Even coming back, the incline is not too difficult. What is difficult and exciting is the descent to the rapids (taking a right when the trail splits) using the ropes and meandering down a very steep hill. The rapids themselves offer plenty of opportunity for wasting time climbing rocks or wading/swimming. Awesome spot!! All total (including 30-45 minutes poking around at the river) this took me 2 hours. Perfect place to get a quick hike in.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

The ropes we so much fun going down to the waterfall. I also enjoyed that most of the Hike is along the river so you can hear the peaceful sounds of the water.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Lovely trail! Along the first quarter mile, there are tons of wild flowers and wild berries. It was stunning and rejuvenating.

We didn't have rain for at least four days before this hike so we didn't have problems crossing the stream or slipping much. I advise NOT going after a heavy rain if are traveling with children, pets, or anyone with unstable ankles/knees. There would be lots of slick places.

I'd say 4/5 of the trail is a relatively easy hike. All of the challenge comes in the last portion as you descend to the falls. The ropes are truly helpful but if you want an adventure, climb the perimeters and use rocks and roots.

This hike is suitable for large dogs, especially in dryer conditions. Smaller dogs may not fare well down near the falls where the boulders are larger and they'd have to jump up...and I'm not sure if you'd want to try to carry them!

Sunday, June 12, 2016

This was my second time on this trail . This time we went all the way down to the falls, it looks almost impossible once you reach the last rope on the descent to the Green River , but if you look far to the right there are several big roots you can hang onto down to the bottom ( and we found another rope). The rain on the way back was a blessing !!!!

Monday, June 06, 2016

went there with Weston Dino van it was a real Baloo and Mowgli kina day

Friday, June 03, 2016

This place is amazing! Perfect spots for swimming and the ropes to get up and down were a nice bonus!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

me and some friends went one afternoon after school, we didnt get far before it started to get dark so we just stopped on the side of the trail about a mile in and swam in the creek for a while tons of fun.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Tip top. A bit tricky . I don't recommend bringing your pup unless they are geared up for a challenge and sore paws . Descent to the Green River is challenging , but worth it . Moderate to advanced skill .

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Wow, this was quite a treat, as we sort of 'happened' upon it. A series of ropes help you descend,then get back up the very steep ,rocky, and gnarly bank.