Green River Narrows

Green River Narrows is a 3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Flat Rock, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 810 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail begins on the Pulliam Creek Trail off of SR 1802. After 1/2 mile notice wooden boards going down to a water fall on the left. There is also a nice camping area on the right about 3/4 of mile down the trail. Go south on this trail for about 1.2 miles. At this intersection, the Pulliam Trail continues south & east and veers left. Veer right down a steep and slippery trail to the foot of the Green River Narrows. The trail is marked by pink ribbons. Caution: this is an extremely slippery and dangerous route to take, but views of the Green River Rapids are worth the trip.I would not recommend taking any children on this trip and you must be in good shape. There are numerous rocks to sit on for sun bathing or watching the Kayaks come down the rapids. On occasion you will probably see abandoned Kayaks and views of the rapids might explain it.

Great trail and scenery. Make sure you go see the waterfall! But of a steep downhill, but worth it!

Fun trail...we did the spur down to the narrows (that’s the steep part with the ropes) then we continued back on the main trail to the next spur. The trails were well marked and there is something for everyone here.

Great trail! The way down to the falls is the best! The way up is like you are in an Indiana Jones game.

One of the most, if not the most, challenging hikes I’ve ever done. I brought my two dogs and they were able to climb down perfectly. It was a fun way down using the ropes and the narrows were absolutely worth it. All three of us were so exhausted climbing back up though- it’s extremely steep! The rest of the trail is easy and the scenery is great. There was one creek crossing on the way to the narrows and a couple swimming holes my dogs could swim around in. 10/10 recommend if you’re looking for a beautiful, but challenging hike.

I did this hike today and I loved it. To get to the river is mostly downhill, with a very steep section (with ropes) at the end to get to the river. And of course you’ll have to climb up again. But it’s worth it. Beware of lots of yellow jackets and wasps. I saw a lot on the trail today. So if you’re allergic like me, your epipen is a must to bring! About 7,5km in total, so a lot longer than the 4.8km AllTrails says it is.

Good challenge. Had the trail to myself. The sound of water and glimpse of water rushing over rocks most of the hike.8/19/2019 12pm

Great hike did the pulliam Creek trail it cuts off to the right where you use the rope to get down to the green River. Tough but definitely worth it. The river was down so we didn't see anyone kayaking but it was definitely gorgeous. We then looped around hitting the bear branch trail to bishop branch and then the rock hop took is back to where we started. All in all probably about 6.5 miles!

This trail was worth the hike. It was a tough climb down to the waterfalls but was definitely worth it. There were several places to go for a dip once you got down.

We went looking for a new and challenging trail that had water features and could be navigated with two dogs. The decent was relatively easy and great swimming holes at the bottom. Once at the river you can easily find all the other spots for a dipping. It was magic. We even saw kayakers bombing down the rapids which is something to be aware of if you're planning to swim. The accent prove to be the most difficult part of the hike. Luckily there are ropes for support and to remind you you're on the right way out. 10/10 for love birds or nature lovers.

Another awesome hike. But definitely hard! u must scramble down a series of ropes almost strait down. Don't forget you have to come back up! once at the river it's super cool! watch kyakers tackle whitewater. Also some primitive campsites along the way. I passed no one on this one!

First of all, Pulliam Creek Trail is itself 2.5 miles one way according to the trail sign. So the total in the description of 3 miles is not correct. There is also no pink ribbons, but the trail is marked except for the right turn to the decent - there is no trail marker to tell you "go right and down". We walked right past it. The decent down took us about 30 minutes. It is steep, full of rocks and roots. The ropes are definitely needed to go down and back up. The waterfalls and rocks and river rapids are amazing. Be careful, the rocks that look dry are also slippery. It was a long hard trail but worth the effort. The decent down to the river is full of technical maneuvers.

The hike to get to the narrows is a moderate hike. Once going down the narrows you have to use the ropes to get down and especially back up.

Very challenging trail for someone from Florida. Amazing views and was definitely worth it. Not for anyone out of shape or with small children.

This is one of my favorite hikes. The scenery is beautiful. The Green River with it's waterfalls is awesome but my favorite is the waterfall you will see on the right before you start down the ropes to the river. We made the mistake of taking the first trail head. Pass that one and a few hundred feet down the road cross the small bridge on the right and continue down the trail to the beautiful Green River.

amazing! I took pulliam to rock hop to bishop branch to bear branch to green river cove trail to see the river then back to pulliam then down a side trail using ropes that was absolutely breathtaking at the bottom. I took my dog and he did great I only needed to help him twice.

Difficult trail but worth the work. Ropes are helpful and the 2x6 to cross was safe.

Definitely worth the hike. Don’t recommend trekking off to rock hop when it branches off. The hard part is getting to the gorge. The gorge is gorgeous (no pun) however, this is a difficult climb and is not recommended for people who are bound to a wheelchair or anyone who is mildly out of shape (like myself). When you arrive from “repelling” down the mountain, please refrain from falling into stream located near the 2x6. I know it is appealing, but trust me from personal experience. As fore-mentioned, It is difficult to get back up and you will feel like you just completed the Tour De France. This all is coming from someone who hasn’t been an avid hiker in about 5 years. It’s not the hardest hike I’ve completed but it’s not easy and not moderate per se.

Fun, easy trail until you get to the narrows. Descent to the narrows was fun. Ropes made it easier. Only sketchy part were the slick rocks where Pulliam dumps into the Green. Crossing a 2x6 to get to the narrows was a bit sketch as well. Fun!

Best said by my dog South. 5 bones! The trail is no problem lots of flowers, plants, smells, water to cool off on. Going down to the Narrows my best friend G had to help as the rocks are slippery and he had to lift me up coming back up. The trail down to the narrows is for the adventurous. Woof and a wag of the tail.

Above moderate if you go down to the river. Awesome!!!

This is not a moderate hike. It is strenuous and steep. Lots of scrambling. Ropes are a big help. The view at the bottom is beautiful, though. Watched kayakers brave the rocks and whitewater, which was awesome. It is even more strenuous going back up with lots of scrambling.

I've been hiking to the Narrows for 45 years. Every trip is more awesome than the last.

Mon Oct 29 2018

Great short hike. The climb down to the water and back up will get you sweating but is definitely worth it. Not sure moderate is the right classification.

Tue Oct 16 2018

I did this hike last week. I had my 4 legged hiking buddy along. She was able to do everything with ease. There was one rock i had to lift her over going up and down. It took less than 30 minutes to get to the turn for the narrows so we hiked past it to the next turn off that went to the river. I dont recall the name of the trail now but it is on the map. It led to a beautiful area that I am glad we got to see. No one was there. Yay! So if you are concerned about the scramble down to the narrows, just keep going down to the next trail. Both areas were beautiful and I would most likely go to both again. Im not sure how to share pictures after the fact so I guess you will just have to go take your own. :) Happy hiking