Green Knob Trail from Sunburst

Green Knob Trail from Sunburst is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burnett Siding, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Unquestionably the most menacing hill I've done in the combined Shining Rock / Middle Prong wildernesses.

The trail begins unceremoniously just a few yards past the bridge coming from the campground..

Once you manage to top the ridge, the trail frequently vanishes, but is recoverable by remaining on the ridge-line while favoring the left side.

I actually went down it coming up from the MST to loop back via the Fork Ridge. My toe nails were black for months afterward. Looked like I was trying to be a Goth or something!

A brutal trail, but worth a tale!

Hiked this trail over 2 years back. Absolutely loved it! However, use extreme caution, this trail isn't marked and the way up is steep at first. Also, because there aren't any blazes, I didn't know it was a loop trail, so I ended up hiking back the way I came.

Take heed when it says "very experienced adventurers." We weren't aware that this pieced together a couple of trails, and we needed GPS to trail blaze to stay with this route. I'm glad we did it, but won't do it again!!! Haha!!

Saturday, November 05, 2016