Green Knob Trail

Green Knob Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Little traveled trail with two entrances off the Blue Ridge Parkway that includes Sims Creek as well as Sims Pond.

My wife, 9 year old daughter, Great Dane, and I hike this trail several times a year. Love all three parts of this trail the dense woods, open meadow and downhill section. Long uphill sections whichever side you start on but overall good trail that gets the heart beating.

Great hike! Did it solo a week ago and didn't see any other hikers. Today hiked with a friend, and we saw 13 other hikers. So glad we followed advice from someone else and started from the other side of the parkway. We went up the steep part, rather than down. Much easier on knees, and less tricky to negotiate.

My review is from the perspective of an amateur landscape photographer.

There aren't any outstanding landscape compositions on this trail. The summit is an open meadow but its completely surrounded by trees with no views. The lake is just mediocre with no good compositions. There are some nice meadows if you enjoy those.

The best photo op I saw is a possible nice shot of the trees along the trail once the leaves change color. I marked the spot on my trail record.

Bottom line: There's a lot of other good hikes and viewpoints along the Blue Ridge. Spend your time there.

Same as with Boone Fork, I can’t believe this is rated hard. I’d definitely put it on the moderate to easy side. The hardest part is the descent at the end. We got caught in a small rainstorm, and the ground was pretty slick coming down. Great little trail.

Great meadow views but too much traffic noise

Great hike. Easy to get to. Has some steep uphills and downhills and small stream crossings, and meadows - basically has it all. Easier to do starting from the pond rather than from across the parkway.

This was a nice trail, steep decline. It was pretty easy. Mistakenly went after heavy rain and the creek was high. Be careful.

We didn’t research this trail so were a little taken aback by a couple of steep declines - wouldn’t recommend for someone with really bad knees. Took about 2 hours with several rest breaks. Great diversity of views - meadows like Sound of Music, streamside canopies. Would do it again, but do a little more stretching beforehand!

Sims pond loop is a nice short loop with minor elevation change. circles around the pond and under the brp, up across green knob and back to the parking lot. nice

Quick easy hike.

For a more difficult hike do start by the pond. Walk across the BRP and start there. The first mile is uphill and a much better workout.

as close to highland hiking I could get within the area. solid trail with views after bombing mountain peaks all week

This trail was stunning after a fresh snow, but would be relatively uneventful otherwise. Pretty flat overall. Not a bad little route if you are right on time, butthis area of the Blue Ridge has much better to offer.

Loved the criss-crossing of the creek and than opening up into the hardwoods and Meadows.

Beautiful trail. More Laurel and Turkey Brush than I’ve seen in one place.

The trail was washed out after recent heavy rains at a point roughly one-third of the way around. However, it you stay to the high side you can get around it and face clear sailing for the rest of the hike.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Pretty nice trail. A couple of sections cut through fields which give you nice views and sunshine. Other sections down along the creek in the rhododendrons feel nice and jungle-y. Pretty long steep hill to go down, so maybe not a good choice for people with knee issues.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Nice hike. Will be incredibly muddy if there was a recent rain. I hiked with my 2 year old. We started by Sims pond and went counterclockwise. Maybe this way is easier? My 2 year old did most of it. The big hill coming down is loose gravel and i can see it would be challenging going up. But i think it's more moderate not hard. I personally thought Rough Ridge was tougher. Views were nice

Friday, July 28, 2017

Great hiking with lots of different terrain and elevations. We took our kids, 6 and 4 and they loved it! It took us about 2 hours with kids but so worth it. Highly recommend it!

Saturday, July 08, 2017

A bit wet, and more difficult than suggested by it's short length. Definitely worth the work.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Very pretty trail with babbling brooks along with open meadows of cows and wooded forrest.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Definitely a tough hike, but so worth it. Due to recent rain, my husband and I both fell on the initial descent down the stairs/hill; then we saw a rattler sitting on the steps on the way back up. Be careful! Nice creek section initially and on completion of hike. Beautiful walk thru pasture; the cows and my dogs weren't quite sure about each other. Then back up thru the forest. You go through 3 different ecosystems in just 2.5 miles! Tougher than you think but great views throughout.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great hike. Nice variety of terrain and habitats. Nice family hike.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Great hike. Nice variety of terrain and habitats. Nice family hike.

Friday, June 23, 2017

This is my favorite trail in the area! There was varied terrain and scenery, making the entire thing interesting. Being a zoology fanatic, meeting the numerous salamanders, snakes, and cows was very exciting!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Love the scenery along the water, the pasture and the forest. Very diverse and beautiful loop! And my six year old was able to complete it!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Very nice trail. Rigorous workout, nice amount of water for the dogs, varied terrain. Lots of shaded rhodo segments & pasture on a hill with amazing view of the old man. Did the whole thing in about an hour. Was a blast!!

Sunday, June 11, 2017

If I could give three and a half stars, that would be more appropriate. It is a nice trail, well marked and you get to walk through some prairie and bluffs, but you spend most of the time in a swampy area. When we hiked it, it was flooded the whole trail except up in the hills. You also need to cross the road one time! Overall, nice trail located near Blowing Rock, but if you're looking for stunning views and seclusion (it is very crowded!), pick a different trail!

Saturday, June 10, 2017

A nice hike, good mix of terrain. Be ready for the hills!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Cute loop trail with dynamic scenery, easy parking access

Sunday, May 14, 2017

This is a go to trail for me and several friends. Really enjoyable year round!