Graybeard Trail

Graybeard Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Fort, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This hike was great. Not for the out of shape. We knew it would be tough but we were not ready for it. We did make it to the summit and it was awesome. Great views. The trail crosses over the creek 3 time early. The waterfall about halfway up is a great place to take a break. Overall an awesome hike if you are in shape or up for the challenge. I'm very sore now

My wife and I are about 60 years old, in good shape, and were able to get to the top in 2 hours and 20 minutes. Down in 2 hours. The first third followed a beautiful stream and was fairly flat, but was quite rocky. Make sure you have good boots, to protect your ankles! The second third was the big switchback. This was our favorite part. It had a very gradual slope, few rocks (making it much nicer on our feet), and geogous views as we followed along the ridge. It helped a lot that the leaves were not out yet- it is March now. Since it was not rocky, we did not have to stare at our feet all the time. The last third got much steeper and narrow and rocky. And there was lots of brush that took away any views. At the very top - the last 10 feet -- there was a nice open view. But, if I were to do this hike again, I would stop after the first two-thirds. That point is marked by the sign saying "waterfall 200 feet to the right." That would privide a great 3 hour round trip, with beautiful views through much of the hike, at least in March. Not that near the top there are warnings not to take the Seven Sisters trail to come down. They point out that it is "most difficult" trail, and can be dangerous. We heeded their warning!

Great view most of the way. The small waterfall was nice and hitting the knob was a great side trip. Caught in a small rain storm at the summit so we didn't get to enjoy the view up there but the climb was worth it! Best hike I have had between the scenery/the mileage.

Beautiful! Waterfalls and overlooks? AND decent mileage? Will go again!

Moderate to difficult, depending on what you're used to. Parts of the the trail are wide and well maintained and others are pretty narrow and rocky. I took a detour on the way down through Pot's Cove which was rockier.

Great hike! The beginning is at a steady incline, then it levels out before another steady incline at the end. Amazing views of the Seven Sisters Ridge at the top! I was definitely sore the next day. There is a cute waterfall about halfway that is a nice spot to take a break.

A good trail if you like a steady climb with no views. Top view was disappointing. It took us 2hr and 20min up and 3 down, and we show it being more like 10 miles. If you are looking for views, there are better choices.
ps - after looking at the pics from others, we must have missed the lookout - we did not see any markings for it.

Pros:
Well marked,
Went on a Saturday am and not crowded,
Pretty windflowers and wooded scenery,
Easy parking and trailhead entrance

Cons:
Summit was fairly disappointing,
Not many lookout areas en route,
I clocked a total of 10 miles round trip,
Poison ivy especially near summit area,
Definitely strenuous climb at points

Solid hike, light traffic but still wide open and decent views.

There's a lot of up on this one, but the stream the trail follows is pleasant and energizing. There are quite a few spots along the way with beautiful views of the surrounding ranges when the thick summer foliage isn't too dense. Nice campsite on the way to Walker's Knob, which is a perfect spot for lunch.