Learn more

Graybeard Trail is a 8.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Old Fort, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,404 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is an amazing trail. It features a variety of underfoot elements, which made it interesting. Rocky bits, some roots, some very smooth areas. There are creek crossings and lots of options for offshoot hikes and places to stop and rest along the rocks. I’m not sure where the reviews are coming from saying that it’s a 15 mile hike. A friend and I both clocked it separately and came in right over 9 miles, which is pretty darn close to the estimated 8.9. There are some moments of incline but it is mostly a very gentle rise that is almost imperceptible for a huge portion of the trail, which made getting to the top easily achievable, especially compared to a lot of vista hikes in the area. And the view is stunning. One of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. 100% one of my favorite hikes of all time and definitely worth repeating. Will try to figure out how to post pix since this is my first time reviewing. Note: got caught in torrential rain and the trail does get pretty muddy. Light traffic.

private property

LONG ASS TRAIL! Not sure where the 8 miles round trip reviews come from or the 4.46 miles to the top at the trail head came from. It is up, up, up, up for 7 miles to the top. We hit 15 miles round trip. I just came off a broken ankle and was fine with 8 round trip, 4 miles no big deal, but to hit 15? The views were not worth it. Definitely my least favorite trail in that area. Hike to Walker’s Knob for a view, don’t bother hiking to the top, it’s not worth it unless you just want a workout.

This hike is definitely more than 8 miles round trip. We didn’t start recording until a mile or two in and still recorded over 8 miles. It’s a good work out hike but if you’re hiking for a view, you can find better hikes that aren’t as long. This is up hill and very rocky. I would recommend just hiking up to Walker’s knob. The view is much better than the Graybeard mountain summit.

It took us 2:45 to reach Walkers Knob and 2:00 back down and we are in average shape. Take snacks and plenty of water. This is a gorgeous, fully shaded trail that is super rocky for the 1st half and then is fairly flat with a few switchbacks to Walkers Knob. The view is great although you do see the city of Black Mountain. A much better view and shorter hike is Sitting Bear along the Linville Gorge! Going to apply Tiger Balm to my weary body now. Happy Hiking!

This is a great hike that I would recommend to families with adventurous kids. The first mile has lots of rocks and roots and three shallow river crossings. It then opens up for a few miles, with more roots and rocks in the final couple - harder - miles to the top. Great views from Walkers Knob if you don’t want to do the whole thing (about 8 miles round trip). Some muddy spots from daily rains lately, but not bad. Lots of shade along the way, with a few good vistas. The small waterfall on a short side trail about a half way up is a great place for rest and a snack.

It took us 6 hours and 20 mins, to go to the top and back 18 miles. The top is just ok, but the greenery on the trail was nice. I should of packed more water. Many water crossing I use poles my fiancé does not. She is in better shape.

This is a great trail enjoyed it we will do it again

Always a good hike!! Hiked to walkers knob. 7.8 miles round trip in about 4 hours. Pretty muddy in places and busy on a Saturday.

Always a great hike. Hiked to walkers knob. Clocked 7.8 miles. Around 4 hours round trip included hanging at the view point. Great view from knob. Pretty muddy in places.

A very well kept trail. As listed in many other reviews, the last mile or so is pretty steep and challenging. We went on a pretty rainy muddy day and when we reached the summit the cloud cover made it difficult to see any sort of view. Over all a good day, logged 9.2 miles.

Good workout, roots, rocks and some muddy spots, but very manageable. Views not spectacular, but loved the mostly shady path. I wish I'd brought poles for the knee knocker return trip. I'd do it again.

The last mile to the peak is intense! Beautiful trail though, well worth the effort.

Really nice trail, up to the junction is very moderate (first ~4 miles) but almost all uphill. Beyond that it does get more difficult, but it's still well within the reach of most hikers with any experience. The views are good but both summits are small. The lower mountain might have a better view, so if you get to the hut and are tired,go to the lower mountain, it's worth it and very close to the hut. Very nice trail, unfortunately, the one downside, lots of people know about it, we went on a Saturday and it was pretty darn busy. If you have the flexibility, save this one for a weekday.

Definitely rocky and rooty, but a beautiful trail and ideal for a warm day. Jumped over to Harry Bryan loop where I met a nice 6-8 ft black snake laying across trail - nearly turned the loop into an out and back. I’LP definitely do this trail again.

Beautiful hike with Ella and Helen. Lots of rocks at the beginning and end, but nice stretches of soft trail. Nice waterfall but no place to really swim. Recorded 10.1 miles. 5 1/2 hours. Steep at the start and end. Awesome view at the top but Once is enough.

Great hike! It starts next to the water with some tricky footwork, and then flattens out for a mile or so through nice switchbacks. Then the push to the top! On a nice day the view at the top is beautiful. I could see how if it wasn't a nice day and you got to the top with no views it would be a little disappointing. Elin

One of the best trails I have done. First you start walking next to this super clean creek with small waterfalls in a wooden area then, you slowly climb up to amazing views of the black mountains.

On the way up, I was prepared to give this trail 5 stars because it starts off near the creek that you hear as soon as you step out of your vehicle and you see so much variety but, when I got to the summit, there was no view. It was pretty sopped in with low clouds and mist today making the weather cooler but I was disappointed that I didn't see anything that looked like the main picture for this hike. Also had trouble locating where AllTrails was leading me to the summit. I would put this trail on the harder side of moderate. There are some easy flat parts from about the 1.6 to 4.0 miles but otherwise you're climbing fairly steeply. It's great by the creek and you crossed it several times at some beautiful cascades but not as enjoyable closer to the summit. The trail is very rocky and a lot of exposed roots throughout but especially in the steeper parts so hiking poles wouldn't be a bad idea especially for the trip down. We've had a TON of rain in the region lately so there were some muddy parts where it was flatter. I'd do it again if someone wanted to go but I would prefer to just go up to about the 4.0 mile mark where there is a nice waterfall about 18'-20'. Don't miss the waterfall! It's only about a tenth of a mile round trip from the trail and definitely worth it!

Very doable hike, not too killer, nice views at both Walker’s Knob and Greybeard summit.