Graybeard Trail

Graybeard Trail is a 9.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Fort, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Can't wait to come back. Made it as far as the falls just past the cutbacks & decided that was enough for the day.

Coming back next year with plans to make it to the shelter.

Agree with the other comments recommending Walkers Knob. Definitely worth the very short detour! Overall great hike - one of my new favorites in the area

Nice private owned trail in Montreat. Good gains in the first 2 miles before the switchbacks. You must hit Walters Knob. That view is almost better than the graybeard summit... almost. Was able to run about 60% of the trail. Added west
Ridge and Piney to loop back to trail head. Can boom down!

Gorgeous! It's a real booty-burner in some spots and if it's rainy or wet like it was for us, you're going to need to be a little extra careful when you're walking up/down those rocks/stones. The view is worth the trek - absolutely beautiful! The climb up was also quite beautiful - we stopped a few times to admire nature and snap some photos. We aren't pro hiker s- wore some athletic clothing, brought a backpack with some drinks and some snacks. Also had some extra socks, sneakers, and shirt/pants for afterwards.

This proved to be more on the difficult side for my and my sister. The beginning portion was very difficult for someone who does not hike often, when we got to the potion where we could choose a different route we did. Walker's knob has a great view!! That is where we ended.

Beautiful trail, quite challenging at the beginning and the end, but its a great trail. Lots of wildlife, I even encountered a deer with 2 young. The view at the summit was beautiful too. It took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes to get to the top and 1 hour and 20 minutes to get down.

Gorgeous trail!!!! It was a real butt kicker for me but I loved every bit of it!!! Loads of bugs so bring spray. Be prepared to go mostly uphill to the peaks. There are actually 2. If you are tired when you reach the shelter, take the Walker Knob 5 minute view path on your left. You will get a spectacular view and have enough energy to get back to your car. The trail to Graybeard is very narrow and overgrown and a real serious butt kicker especially that last 3/10 of a mile. It is beautiful though.