Graveyard Fields Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(600)
Pisgah National Forest

Graveyard Fields Trail is a 4.7 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Balsam Grove, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 km Elevation Gain: 93 m Route Type: Loop

Offline map is recommended. Users have reported that the trails are not marked well.

Jogged this trail on a rainy Tuesday afternoon and only saw one other couple. If you don’t mind getting muddy and wet, I highly recommend doing it on a rainy day. It’s a lot of fun to explore this area when there’s fog and the falls flow extra strong. Getting to upper falls can be tricky without GPS, app is very helpful.

flooded

Lower Falls we're easier to access and much more interesting. Upper falls trail was really confusing. It seems people have made many trails of their own. Going up to upper falls was really rocky (boulders incl.) Both were really crowded by lunch. Lots of kids and dogs. trail doesn't really allow for much "distancing." I recommend going in the morning or during a weekday. see the lower falls first as they get much more crowded. I took a picture of the trail head map. I thought I had downloaded the map, but it had not saved. No reception and 'record' would not work as it could not find me.

I’ve been to Upper falls three times. The last time I went was July 4, 2019. There had just been a lot of rain, and the path was not clearly marked. The initial post was sort of leaning, several groups of people went the wrong way and never found the waterfall. I recommend using AllTrails or some gps device just in case

great trail. you can make it a nice short hike or really explore and make it last. gets really steep and rocky at the upper falls. be mindful, its really easy to lose the trail

Beautiful, worked up a sweat but not too hard. Not well marked though.

Positive: Lower falls is beautiful. Upper falls is more secluded and less crowded. Easier hike with no significant elevation gains. Unique environment and sections walking through the "woods" is creepy but in a beautiful way. Negatives: Upper falls was kind of unimpressive. Muddy and not well marked. Overall glad I did it but probably would not do a second time

This place was so fantastic, perfect length trail for sure. Not the best marked trail, but we found our way around eventually.

Honestly, the Lower Falls are much prettier than the Upper Falls, and only take 10 minutes to walk to. The trail to the Upper Falls was very muddy, not well marked, and through a forest-fire-laden area, so not a lot of large trees. My advice would be to skip it. The nice part about the Upper Falls is the rock scrambling to get to the top of the falls, which is fun if you're looking for something more technical.

What’s the deal with cracked wooded steps. Many boards were loose. There was even a gap of two planks missing on the way to the lower waterfall. Not safe at all. Watch your step! Too crowded! Too many big dogs loose in the lower part of the waterfall. Enjoyed walking through the first part of the trail. Muddy.

Great hike. Elevation was easy breezy, but the terrain was a little yucky. Trail is not well marked but it is obvious very quickly when you are going the wrong direction. Super busy during this fall season, get there early.

Enjoyed the hike. Nice trail, muddy, has a waterfall.

We would do this trail again because it leads to the upper waterfall which is not near as busy as the lower waterfall. We had to do a bit of scrambling to get there but we enjoy it. I didnt give it a five because we felt it could have been marked a little better. We met a few groups who were not sure if they were going the right way. We always take video footage of our hikes so if you are deciding whether or not to do this hike check it out: https://youtu.be/TxZZOYQf1LI

Trail is heavily eroded in many places with lots of rocks and roots. Larger issue is lack of trail markings once off the parking area and past the initial trail intersections. I printed out the map HOWEVER it does not show a second good sized stream coming off Graveyard Ridge joining the Yellowstone and it is appears the trail bears to the right - it doesn't. Cross the stream to the left to get to the upper falls. Lots of side trails that go nowhere as well.