Graveyard Fields Trail

Graveyard Fields Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bushwhacked to the top of the upper falls for a stunning view!

Always love graveyard fields and specifically love this section of the parkway. The Upper Falls are beautiful if you visit them before the leaves fill the trees (spring) and block the view. The best way to use the Upper Falls Loop Trail is to begin the hike at the stairs on the SOUTH end of the parking lot - not the main stairs closer to the building. Follow the trail signs. The trail veers of once in while for the campsites and fly fishing peeps - just stay on the main trail. When you reach the intersection for lower falls & upper Falls - continue to upper Falls ... the last 1/2 mike gets a little rocky, but not difficult. You’ll reach a section to walk out on the rocks to see to Falls - or continue to the top. It’s worth the final climb! When you walk back down, take a left at the loop intersection, to walk back towards lower falls. This will take back to the main staircase UP and back to the parking lot. About 4 miles in all!

Easy hike to the waterfall. Never did find the upper falls because the trails are not well marked- there’s offshoots everywhere and very confusing! I wandered around with my dogs for a while and they liked the river but otherwise do not feel compelled to hike here again.

Signs or trail markers would have been super helpful as there are multiple forks. It was pretty though!

I went on this hike with my wife and two younger daughters. We intended to take the trail to the upper falls but strayed right and had to come back after we figured we had gone the wrong way. We eventually made it to the upper falls. I have to say I’m disappointed with this hike as it wasn’t worth the view at the falls. Just our opinion. However, we did the lower falls a few days ago and that one is well worth it. Only .3 miles and the water is much better suited for kids. I’d recommend the lower falls all day any day and will definitely go back during warmer weather with my kids.

This trail was perfectly fine. You have to choose which direction to take several times while signs are there to help about twice. It’s annoying, but not too bad. The upper falls were pretty, but nothing exciting. I would not recommend this because you could find better trails to use your energy on.

I gave this 3 stars because of the careless dog owners! And the lack of posted leash laws! We have pets and always keep them on a leash! Some people seem to think they are above the rules because it’s a national forest! The rules are posted but in only one place! Not every dog likes every human or other dogs! Two large dogs run up on my little girls with no owner in sight! Not a pretty site! This is really crazy! They could have hurt my dogs or one of us! People need to get with the program or stay home! Forestry people in N.C., you need to enforce your leash laws! Graveyard Feilds has always been one of my favorite places! As of now we will not be returning due to the lack of the lash laws! Some human or their pet is going to end up getting hurt! Remember your dogs aren’t the only pets out there!!! I’m done!

this trail extends outward around the mountain. highly recommend it!

Great hike with unique vegetation and gorgeous views. I started off by going down to the lower falls and was pleasantly surprised. It’s less than a half mile down, and has a cool watering hole at the base of the falls. Looking forward to coming back in the summer months. Then I headed up to the upper falls. The trail is well marked and easy for most of the journey. The only reason this trail is marked as medium difficulty is because of the last quarter mile or so. In order to get to the upper falls you have to do a little bit of work and deal with lots of rocks and a bit of mud. Well worth it but you have to go to the top of the falls in order to take advantage of all of your hard work. It was a warm fall day and I only saw few other people on the trail to the upper falls but I can see it getting crowded during peak season because it is so accessible from the parkway.

Great hike. We went to upper falls and climbed up past end of trail to beginning of falls for a great view looking east towards Mt. Pisgah. Lower falls are cool to. Oct 3-17

Nice hike. Pretty heavily used and the erosion and changes in the path are significant....otherwise it would have rated it higher. Upper falls are a good payoff.

Nice views. We went while it was super overcast and foggy so not too crowded!

This trail connects with other trails making it a fun choose your path game. Great in the fall if you want to see the leaves.

Was a good trail, once, now very heavily eroded and worse is the smell of dog poop even in the windy conditions and the constant yipping of dogs resounding through the valley. Not every dog yips but only one is needed.

Gorgeous fall colors!!

Great easy hike

Fantastic views that lead to waterfalls. Easy not difficult

great hike, thick vegetation, many off trails, three tier waterfall with pools. full of adventure. moderate level. ❤

If there is an event or holiday, this will be PACKED. The first time we went, we got all the way to the top falls before seeing a couple sitting on the ridge. The next 3 times we've tried we could see the lines of people walking the trail from the parking outlook.

The trails are east to navigate, some muddy spots, and a few little water spots where people do rock stacking that's always cool to see. Kid and dog friendly leash.

Really easy trail, pretty pleasant. Don't stop at the first waterfall. Keep going and you'll see the upper falls, it's big.

Too many people for an August weekday hike for my liking. Very interesting though. Tons of blackberries and blueberries. Wide variety of flora and fauna. Yellowstone Prong is a pretty little stream with lots of little Brookies. Both the Upper and Lower falls are nice. I'll make this hike again during the winter months.

got off on the wrong trail a couple of times on the way to upper falls. totally worth it though.

Beautiful. My son particularly enjoyed all the berries along the way. Hiked to Upprer Falls after.

It was beautiful. Not a lot of people around. There is an incline down to some stairs and a few flights of stairs down. Then to a bridge that goes across. I enjoyed going down closer tot he river and sitting to relax and take pictures. Then you can continue out and to the right and go down to the lower falls. Very good place for photos. The incline on the boardwalk that leads down to the lower falls be careful, the wood is wet and it gets slippery!!

A nice hike! It was very crowded and we had to park down the BRP to get in. They have nice bathrooms at the trail head with solar panels! The trails were well worn but not always well marked. There were dogs everywhere and dog feces in the trail in several spots. There were also several bags of dog poop left on the trail. The falls were nice and we enjoyed the trip. The only downfall was it was very crowded until we headed to the upper falls.

Beautiful and moderate hike, weaving through a rhododendron forest at trail's beginning, a little muddy currently (late July). Hiked with my fiancé, our 8 year old (loved swimming in the chilly water) and our dog (not so keen on water). Took beautiful photos at the upper falls. Would definitely hike again!

Hiked this with my wife, parents, and dog. Overall this was a great 3.5 mile hike that covered a variety of terrain (mud, stream crossings, ascent to upper falls, and man made paths). Starts with maybe a .75 mile hike followed by a 1 mile (each way) out and back, then followed by another .75 mile hike to end the loop. The trail had wild blueberries and blackberries, probably a few weeks from being ripe. The falls were nice, not Pisgah's finest but a nice place to stop for lunch (or let your dog cool off). I would hike this again for sure, next time with a little more exploration down the side trails.

I loved the hike and falls so much, I went twice in one week. The upper falls is a must see. It's not nearly as crowded as the lower falls.

Great morning hike. Get there early and beat the crowds. The terrain can get tough toward upper falls. The woods, fields, streams and falls are simply beautiful. I did this with my 10 yr old and two 6 year olds and they managed well. Cannot say they weren't happy to see the parking lot when we arrived back. Perfect balance of shade and open fields.

crowded but fun