Graveyard Fields Trail

Graveyard Fields Trail is a 2.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Swimming hole!   Bring a towel and get your paws wet.

This is a must stop on the Blue Ridge Parkway.   Get there early!   The parking lot fills up early.

Theres a fair amount of elevation change.  Fortunately there are stairs at the top, stairs in the middle and stairs at the bottom.  Lots of well maintained stairs plus a bridge and a bordwalk with an asphalt trail in between.   There's really not much of a trail to get your paws dirty.   Thanks USFS!  A great trail for older owners or owners with younger children.

Four rest rooms in the parking lot if you need to do a quick change into dry fur before resuming your journey.   They're pit toliets but they're clean and well maintained if you need to do your business and can't sniff and pee along the trail like I can.

Remember to practice safe waterfalling.  Stay at the bottom.  No climbing.  Finally, remember to always keep your owners on a leash so they don't get lost.

Five woofs.

I went in October with a group of friends. First trail I did after breaking my ankle and it was amazing

Beautiful falls and great time playing in the river.

Took the huskies. Got dirty. Beautiful views.

Only had time to go to the lower falls where we soaked our feet after a long day of hiking.

Popular loop with optional out-and-back at its west end featuring two nice waterfalls. A lot of the crowds stay near Lower Falls at the east end of the loop, so you will get some solitude if you hike the entire loop. Trail is not blazed, but it is not hard to follow. Encroaching vegetation needed to be cut back in some areas, and other areas are quite eroded. Overall, a good introduction to high-elevation hiking, North Carolina style.

I wish I could rate this higher because the upper and lower falls were beautiful but the lack of blazes/signs made it very tricky to navigate. It was muddy in some spots but easy to get around. Great little hike overall!

We took the Mountains to Sea Trail instead of the Waterfalls hike . The terrain is definitely moderate , some areas steep . Would not recommend this for young children or if you struggle w hills . We didn’t encounter one hiker & the area is very remote . We Enjoyed the beauty of the woods , but you need to pace yourself . It took us 3 hours round trip . The trails are only clearly marked in the beginning, you must pay attention to the few markers on the trees .

Lower trails muddy after rain. Trails not that well marked so definitely pay attention. Beautiful at lower falls and good swimming holes along river for smaller kids.

Beautiful hike, few unmarked trails, you gotta pay attention. We took a wrong turn and ended up going an extra half mile away before we knew it.

While the lower trails are very flat and easy to traverse the path to the upper falls is very rocky and relatively steep. I took my 5 year old son with me and I have to say he was a trooper. The lower falls are beautiful and the upper falls are just as nice I highly recommend the journey to the top it is worth the trip. As for the mud given the recent amount of rain I would assume the trails aren't always this muddy.

Very difficult hike to upper falls. Not many signs to follow. Beautiful views along the way. Very muddy in spots.

Bushwhacked to the top of the upper falls for a stunning view!

Always love graveyard fields and specifically love this section of the parkway. The Upper Falls are beautiful if you visit them before the leaves fill the trees (spring) and block the view. The best way to use the Upper Falls Loop Trail is to begin the hike at the stairs on the SOUTH end of the parking lot - not the main stairs closer to the building. Follow the trail signs. The trail veers of once in while for the campsites and fly fishing peeps - just stay on the main trail. When you reach the intersection for lower falls & upper Falls - continue to upper Falls ... the last 1/2 mike gets a little rocky, but not difficult. You’ll reach a section to walk out on the rocks to see to Falls - or continue to the top. It’s worth the final climb! When you walk back down, take a left at the loop intersection, to walk back towards lower falls. This will take back to the main staircase UP and back to the parking lot. About 4 miles in all!

Easy hike to the waterfall. Never did find the upper falls because the trails are not well marked- there’s offshoots everywhere and very confusing! I wandered around with my dogs for a while and they liked the river but otherwise do not feel compelled to hike here again.

Signs or trail markers would have been super helpful as there are multiple forks. It was pretty though!

I went on this hike with my wife and two younger daughters. We intended to take the trail to the upper falls but strayed right and had to come back after we figured we had gone the wrong way. We eventually made it to the upper falls. I have to say I’m disappointed with this hike as it wasn’t worth the view at the falls. Just our opinion. However, we did the lower falls a few days ago and that one is well worth it. Only .3 miles and the water is much better suited for kids. I’d recommend the lower falls all day any day and will definitely go back during warmer weather with my kids.

This trail was perfectly fine. You have to choose which direction to take several times while signs are there to help about twice. It’s annoying, but not too bad. The upper falls were pretty, but nothing exciting. I would not recommend this because you could find better trails to use your energy on.

I gave this 3 stars because of the careless dog owners! And the lack of posted leash laws! We have pets and always keep them on a leash! Some people seem to think they are above the rules because it’s a national forest! The rules are posted but in only one place! Not every dog likes every human or other dogs! Two large dogs run up on my little girls with no owner in sight! Not a pretty site! This is really crazy! They could have hurt my dogs or one of us! People need to get with the program or stay home! Forestry people in N.C., you need to enforce your leash laws! Graveyard Feilds has always been one of my favorite places! As of now we will not be returning due to the lack of the lash laws! Some human or their pet is going to end up getting hurt! Remember your dogs aren’t the only pets out there!!! I’m done!

this trail extends outward around the mountain. highly recommend it!

Great hike with unique vegetation and gorgeous views. I started off by going down to the lower falls and was pleasantly surprised. It’s less than a half mile down, and has a cool watering hole at the base of the falls. Looking forward to coming back in the summer months. Then I headed up to the upper falls. The trail is well marked and easy for most of the journey. The only reason this trail is marked as medium difficulty is because of the last quarter mile or so. In order to get to the upper falls you have to do a little bit of work and deal with lots of rocks and a bit of mud. Well worth it but you have to go to the top of the falls in order to take advantage of all of your hard work. It was a warm fall day and I only saw few other people on the trail to the upper falls but I can see it getting crowded during peak season because it is so accessible from the parkway.

Great hike. We went to upper falls and climbed up past end of trail to beginning of falls for a great view looking east towards Mt. Pisgah. Lower falls are cool to. Oct 3-17

Nice hike. Pretty heavily used and the erosion and changes in the path are significant....otherwise it would have rated it higher. Upper falls are a good payoff.

Nice views. We went while it was super overcast and foggy so not too crowded!

This trail connects with other trails making it a fun choose your path game. Great in the fall if you want to see the leaves.

Was a good trail, once, now very heavily eroded and worse is the smell of dog poop even in the windy conditions and the constant yipping of dogs resounding through the valley. Not every dog yips but only one is needed.

Gorgeous fall colors!!

Great easy hike

Fantastic views that lead to waterfalls. Easy not difficult

great hike, thick vegetation, many off trails, three tier waterfall with pools. full of adventure. moderate level. ❤