Goldmine Loop Trail

Goldmine Loop Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Bryson City, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Horses are also able to use this trail.

With most of the National Park closed due to icy conditions, this was one of the few accessible areas. Somehow, we messed this up and ended up just doing a loop of the bypass trail. By the time we realized the mistake we don’t have time to complete the whole loop. Will have to come back one day and do this correctly.

this trail was great to hike. once you go thru the tunnel & travel straight ahead you will see a couple of trailheads. We took the one at a hard left, Goldmine trail. It was very nice & wide with a gradual descent some parts ascending.just beautiful woodlands the lake is gorgeous should have brought my swimsuit!!. the ascent at the end is a butt kicker because it is long but gratifying when you get to the top. It made for a great day of being out in. nature.

Pleasant walk. Nice spot to swim when you get down to the river.
So many cars parked at the trailhead, but not quite that many people along the trail (would still call it "heavily trafficked " though...)
The up side of the horse manure on the trails was that we got to witness dung beetles creating their little balls of it and pushing them off to their nests !

Hiked this trail back in Feb.on a HIKECATION to Fontana Village Resort. Loved the long tunnel on the Road to Nowhere( Now I can tell people I HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN TO NOWHERE. LOL LOL) Had cell phone reception on parts of this trail that wouldn't have thought I would have gotten in. This is a really great trail, enjoyed the hike lots.

We did the 4.1 mile loop from the parking area near the tunnel. Once we got past the tunnel, the trail was relatively quiet. Lots of mountain laurel, much of it already gone by on May 28. Would be a gorgeous hike in the fall, I think.

The tunnel is dark

Nice stroll through the woods with some old homesteads to explore if you keep your eye out for them.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

This is a nice narrow loop trail. It leads down hill to the lake for about 2.5 miles from the parking lot. After that it goes along the little creek for a bit and then up the hill pretty steep. All in all 4.7 miles from and to the parking lot.

To the point some of the other hikers made, we found the trail to be well marked and easy to follow. Also the trail head is easy to find. Just follow the directions.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Nice, quick hike if you're in the Bryson City area

Monday, March 13, 2017

Went through the tunnel and connected to the lake shore trail all the way down to the lake. Really pretty and quiet. There are a few creek crossings with narrow bridges.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Definitely a cool place to check out. Very easy to find it's the main road through Bryson City and it passes the high school and eventually ends about 200 yards before the tunnel. Checked the trails back on the other side of the tunnel but wasn't sure where to go due to the signs being labeled incorrectly.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Nice easy beautiful hike. I did just about 3 miles of it so I don't know how the whole thing was. The map point is definitely wrong. Follow Johnathan's directions to get there. You can't miss it - the road dead ends at the tunnel.

Secret spot not on this trail: When driving back towards town, as you are winding through the one road that the Road to Nowhere is, keep an eye out for an unmarked side trail along the side of the road. I found this by accident, pulled over and walked it, and it took me to an old cemetery from the 1800s with about a dozen grave sites. The trail continues to another smaller cemetery which seems to have had grave sites for children. That was as far as I got.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

I took my 7 month old with me in a back pack. Trail is nicely shaded and quite easy ... It took us close to 2 hours to complete, but we stopped for about 25 minutes . Good morning hike. Love loops.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

good trail on the road to nowhere.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

It's a little more then 4 miles. I stated my hike on the "Road to no where" went threw the tunnel took the second left at the Goldmine loop trail first part of the trip was down hill and easy. Bring its December all the leafs are down and the trail might be a little hard to follow at first but once you reach the bottom section of this trail you will be following the old road bed and you'll see and old home site. When you reach a fork in the road you will find the sign for camp site 67 leaning up on a few trees. I wasn't sure which way to go do I looked on my map. So you know stay to the right. You will reach the lake bed and see the old road quickly disappears into the lake it self. This marks the end of the easy hike and starts your up hill work out!! This isn't a easy trail I stopped several times to catch my breath, but with some perseverance you will reach the ridge line and it becomes easier again. After what seemed to be a half hour or so you will reach the intersection of the tunnel bypass trail I took the .5 mile trip down hill back to the parking lot where I starred. Over all it was a good trip.

Tuesday, June 09, 2015

It was a good hike but could have been marked better. Signs need to be replace and a few more added.

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Worth the time to hike an easy trail and to get a taste of the area. Loved the tunnel and the history of what should have been. Our famous government at work!

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Really Nice hike kinda muddy had been rainy out the last few days. So make sure you go when its dry out.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Lovely trail in the fall. Nice and quiet, very peaceful and not too difficult. Personally, I did not enjoy the tunnel part at the end, but is no big deal at all.