Glen Falls Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Highlands, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 784 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Highlands, NC: From the intersection of US 64 and SR 106, drive 1.6 miles southwest on SR 106 to the USFS sign, Glen Falls Scenic Area on the left. Turn onto SR 1618 and drive 1 mile to the end and the Glen Falls parking area. For the second trailhead of Chinquapin, stay on SR 106 for 3 miles from US 64 and drive to a pullover on the left side. Look for the large rock in the middle.

I imagine this hike varies depending on the weather the days and weeks before. Highlands has had almost 2 weeks of rain so the hike was very muddy and there were some freshly fallen trees and limbs adding to the challenge. The waterfall is incredible and the hike is beautiful. I don’t love stairs on hikes so the stairs made it harder for me. That said, overall this family of 4 (kids 7 and 10) plus dog had fun. Our son had fun taking the “shortcuts” along the way. It was getting dark, rainy and foggy and there was a lot of debris and trees down from recent storms so we only went a bit up from the 4th waterfall viewing before we turned back around.

Nice waterfalls. Entire trail shaded

Excellent trail! You’re able to see the waterfall from four different spots along the way. I would say this trail is relatively moderate. More strenuous on the way out due to a consistent incline. Parking lot does fill up quickly but you can park along the sides of the road. Highly recommend!

Easy hike. Very pretty waterfalls on this hike

very well maintained trail

FYI Looks like this one closed. We got turned around at a police checkpoint on the drive up.

Lots of roots so wear sturdy shoes. A few trees down but it’s an easy over or under. Gorgeous views and a very rewarding hike!

Great trail for a spring hike. The waterfalls and beautiful, but a few blow downs that you need to go over, under or around. Not a big deal, but be prepared. Trail has roots and more roots so be prepared. Recommend to wear hiking boots. Have fun!

This is an awesome trail that my wife and I have hike several times. Me four boy and little girl hiked it this afternoon and it is alway a great hike with resting point where you can stop and look at the falls

This short hike offers outstanding views of a falls that cascades the length of the trail. The sounds, smells and views are memorable!

A lot of bang for your buck on this hike. The waterfalls were worth five stars but I gave it four because I thought some trail blazes could have been helpful. The trail is fairly worn but today was my first time there and there was snow on the trail so sometimes I wasn’t sure if I was on the correct path. A couple other hikers asked me about the trail as I was heading back towards the parking area so I don’t think it was just me.

flooded

Excellent trail, top half has stairs and wood platforms to view the waterfall...Bottom half is a winding straight up trail with tons of roots so be careful you watch your step. Trail ends in a lower parking lot but before you get there you have to cross a creek with not so easy footing. Trail is about 1.6 (to the creek) miles down and 1.6 back up to the top. Challenging trying to hold onto a young and very big dog. Very dog friendly trail though!

We downloaded the map and depended on it to take us further down the gorge that was less traveled. It went from moderate to difficult for us due to my 6 year old getting tired towards the end. Knowing we had to go all the way back up, we stopped at the healthy stream for a break near the end of the trail and headed back up. It would have been difficult for us to pass after a rainy day. The falls were amazing on the way down, the rushing water sounds from the forest, the wind making the pines sway. It was an impressive trail and I would do it again (without a 6 yr old).

This was a cute little trail! I am sure it is heavily trafficked when it is not winter and freezing, but would still be worth the waterfalls. I recommend highly if you have an hour or so to kill!

Great hike. All uphill on the way back

Nice trail. Well maintained. Lots of stairs. Multiple spots to see waterfalls from viewing points although they were a bit muddy. We did it with a 6yo, 4yo, and carrying a 2yo. Enjoyed it. Probably top end of what they can do.

Great trail. The scenery is beautiful. Several areas to see the different parts of the Falls. A little muddy but a very nice.

A lot of families but a very pretty trail

This is a nice trail with beautiful views of the falls. However the app has you going way past the falls. once you come to the fork in the trail continue right and do not bother with the left trail. The right trail will take you to a small splash area at the bottom of the falls which is the last section. The trail was moderately crowded but not overly so.

Pretty hike and waterfall. Several people were out on the trail when I was there but not too busy.