Glen Burney Trail is a 2.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.3 miles Elevation Gain: 666 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Note: Easy going to the falls - mostly flat and downhill. Watch your footing, as there are a lot of exposed roots and rocks that can catch your foot. Visible houses along the first half of the trail, but this is to be expected being so close to downtown Blowing Rock.

awesome trail! really enjoyed the waterfall. we we're lucky enough to catch it after all that rain in may. The trail was muddy for sure, but I kinda enjoyed the added difficulty haha.

Hiked this trail with a group of 4 for a bachelorette. A little bit more moderate than I was expecting, due to the muddiness. Your climb is down, and then back up, so on the way back up you are more winded. Views are great. It was very clean. Traffic was moderate but not bothersome. No water crossings, but you are along side a creek the entire time.

great hike my second time doing this hike. I did this in September 2018 and tg he bridge was broken. I slipped n fell into the muddy mess haha. very memorable hike coming back . had my on my hands n all over my left side.had to walk thru the water n Rick's to get to other side. I just went on this hike on May 15th with a friend and was surprised to find a brand new bridge that was built and placed there . I have to thank the people who installed and also made this bridge cause its really helpful to make this hike truly great. it is strenuous and kind of steep in some areas but it's so beautiful all the cascades and the best one was on our way back made a stop to Glen Marie falls that's the biggest one. my fri ef bd and I sat on the rocks n meditated and had a little picnic listening to the falls. I highly recommend this short beautiful hike to all that love waterfalls n hiking..its truly one of the great jewels of Blowing Rock just few blocks away from.the main street with all the shops its amazing to find a little jungle just down the street.

Nice trail! A few nice waterfalls to check out towards the end of the trail. Pretty crowded on a sunny spring day. Many, many dogs.

I've hiked this trail dozens and dozens of times. This is my second go-to waterfall trail it's close to my home. during peak hours the trail can become congested making walking up or down a bit more challenging. but the falls makes up for the sometimes difficulty maneuvering on the trail.

Fun hike that’s close to town! Great for dogs, would be hard for small children as the climb back up is steep.

Nice hike under two hours including picture taking. Couple muddy spots and rocks and tree roots that will need navigating. We went today with my seven year old and he enjoyed it. Took us 95 minutes round trip to Glen Burney and then down to Glen Marie Falls and back to vehicle. Couple spots you need to watch children, due to possible falling.

Fairly short trail but it’s a steep climb back up. It was still muddy with a little bit of snow as of 3/8/20. It passes by Glen Burney Falls and Glen Marie Falls further down with a lot of places to get out on the rocks in the water. You’ll get a workout and it’s easy to access from pretty much the middle of town.

Basically starts in downtown Blowing Rock which is very convenient on a getaway day. My owners (I don’t really like that word) thought this was going to be easy since the start is a gravelly flat wide path. But then you descend for almost the entire “out” part of the hike next to a babbling brook and some really nice waterfalls. Lots of roots and rocks so footing can be tricky. The return is all up which is different from most hikes around here and means you will definitely work up a sweat. All in all only about 90 minutes. I liked it, got to drink out of a cold mountain stream and got my treat way quicker than the other hikes we’ve done.

First part fairly level, gravel trail then gets steeper and rocky. Completely uphill on return makes this trail moderate. Went past last sign “Glen Marie Falls” to see the 3rd waterfall at base. Worth it.

Beautiful falls. Although steep in places with many roots and rocks.

Downhill out and uphill back. Hike back is fairly strenuous. Lots of exposed tree roots to navigate. Beautiful scenery of woods, rocks, waterfall and The Ruins. Sounds of rushing water make for a relaxing hike.

We hiked this trail down to the lowest waterfall yesterday. It was very busy at the upper portion of trail (no surprise on holiday weekend in-town trail). Fortunately it got a lot less crowded lower down as trail got a bit more technical. Have previously hiked when it is more peaceful and lovely. Biggest issue was WEIRD BLUE DISCOLORATION OF WATER starting in town at Broyhill park pond and running all through the entire creek and waterfalls along the way. See attached photo.

Moderate to strenuous. Beautiful views of three cascades. Narrow, rocky and many exposed tree roots made this a bit more strenuous than what we expected.

I would definitely not recommend this trail for children or elderly who may not have good footing. The trail is very steep in many places and coming back up is quite the incline. I consider myself to be very in shape and the incline was challenging for us. However, that aside it was beautiful. I would not recommend going after rainfall as the trail will likely be very slick. It’s a great trail if you’re looking for amazing views and something challenging!

Great trail. Little muddy but that was to be expected considering the rain recently. Quite a few roots which made it a little difficult.

Nice hike so close to Blowing Rock.

First and foremost we loved the falls. Overall the hike wasn’t terrible but trail is very narrow in sections, or slick. A number of sections required to travel across roots or rocky sections that you had to take precaution on especially coming back. This is downhill there and uphill back. Added benefit is that there are 2 falls to visit. Each only a short distance from each other. Several age groups and physical conditioning were on the trail.

Pleasantly surprised at the waterfall, very beautiful. Fun hike, downhill going then uphill back out. Went on weekday and wasn’t crowded at all.

Although this trail is very close to the town of Blowing Rock and conveniently located, it was longer than the 2.1 mile hike described above (more like 3 miles) and there are no signs for distance once on the trail meaning you have little clue about how far you’ve gone. Additionally, there is no clearly marked end of the trail, you simply keep walking until you reach “private property keep out” signs on the trail. Other than that the trail was in decent condition and did offer multiple views of the falls! I recommend this for anyone already in town looking for some extra miles and a waterfall!