Fryingpan Mountain Lookout Tower

Fryingpan Mountain Lookout Tower is a 1.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Asheville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.5 miles Elevation Gain: 347 feet Route Type: Out & Back

for a short hike with amazing views it is worth while. like others have mentioned the stairs on the tower are a little shaky but seem safe. And make sure to take the road not the trail to the right.

Great short hike to add to your itinerary if you’re visiting the Asheville area!

Heights are not my thing but the cloud coverage finally broke for the day and solo hiking I knew there would be people on this trail. Did not disappoint. Pretty wild flowers growing and the climb wasn’t as bad as I thought. Just take deep breaths because the view is incredibly rewarding.

Hop the metal gate at Forest Service Road 450 and follow the gravel road. The tower is shaky and may not be a great choice if heights aren’t your thing. Otherwise, go straight on to the top! Perfect 360 degree views.

No signs for trail itself but it is up a small gravel path. Views are beautiful. Although the top viewing deck was closed and the tower is a little shaky I made it up. Watched sunset then camped & was there for the sunrise. Hard to find bathroom spots and people come in & out.

Trailhead starts to the right of parking area @ metal gate. After gate stay left on wide gravel access road ( right goes down the mountain). Steady incline the whole way to tower. There wasn't much to look at except for the few flowers. Well worth the hike up tho, view from the top of the tower is phenomenal!

very scenic trail easy access from Mount Pisgah campground.

We ended up hiking the wrong trail, sadly. You need to go around the locked metal gate and onto the wide gravel trail. We thought the previous reviewer was saying don't go left here so we went on the dirt trail to the right.... It was a nice wooded single track trail but didn't lead anywhere at all. We'll have to try again another day.

Fantastic 360 view of the mountains. Highly recommend

As you enter trail, do not go to the left! We made that mistake last year and waked 2 miles out of our way. This time we went left and got to tower in 20 minutes. Entire trail is on a gravel road, very easy. Views at tower are outrageous!

I love this trail but I miss the days when you could get in the tower. still worth the hike. great for a beautiful sunset.

Steady ascend straight up to the tower! Not too busy but a workout! Worth the burn to get the views! Tower isn’t for those that don’t like hikes but still amazing views on top of mountain where the tower is!

steady ascent to the top with great views along the way. steepest section is just before the lookout tower. tower gives a 360 degree view of gorgeous mountains

I recommend this Trail to anyone looking for a fun walk to the top with an excellent View at the top of the tower

What a beautiful view from this tower, wide gravel path, a little rocky, terrain is mild.

Wind gusts of 30mph meant the kids didn't want to climb the tower, however great views and nice, short little hike. Saw frog eggs in a puddle in the road on the top of the mountain!

Easy! Great firetower. Top of it was closed when we hiked here.

Good views, mediocre “hike”

Nice easy trail, great views, just too short.

Best spot I’ve found so far to watch the sunrise. Simply stunning.

This hike is by no means difficult, it’s a short trek to an old radio tower with beautiful 360 views. You can climb the tower about 4 stories and get some awesome photos. Worth a short mile hike, nothing strenuous.

Just okay, too short, gravel trail with all upgrade. The view from the fire tower was not exceptionally beautiful. Loved the wild flowers and butterflies. I can’t figure out the name. Why frying pan? My mind was telling me it was going to be a very hot hike, like sizzling in a frying pan...nope. I thought, well, maybe it has to do with being flat like a frying pan...nope. After hiking it I think it’s because someone found a frying pan up at the top of the hill and called it frying pan, sounds as good as anything.

Saturday, August 11, 2018

Gravel and rock trail that is, for the most part, and easy walk. Not a lot to see along the trail except for the wildflowers and butterflies, which my girlfriend's daughter found quite attractive. The view from the tower is great, even on a cloudy day. The tower platform is still locked but you can ascend to the landing just below, which offers grand views. I wouldn't call this a destination trail. But if you're in the area it's worth a little time.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

I took my four year old with me on this hike. It was perfect for her. We went on a rainy Sunday and passed multiple people. The top was a nice view but I’m not sure I would go back. Also the watch tower is closed, however you can climb it to the closed stairs door. It was great for a rainy day adventure.

Monday, July 02, 2018

I really want to like this trail more, but just can't fall in love with it. The entire, brief hike up is entirely on a rough gravel road, leaving all sorts of little stones in your boots by the time you summit. The tower, while an interesting feature, is locked at the top and bars entry. You can climb up the steps a bit, but it only has so much appeal. The trail is also gaining in popularity, and you'll find yourself competing with quite a few others to take turns climbing up the tower steps. Speaking of the competition: There's no formal parking lot for this trail. You'll be fighting for a spot on the side of the road. I found the views really comparable to a pull-off just a half mile to the south on the BRP, and regret not putting my time on another trail instead.