Fort Fisher to Bald Head Island Beach Walk

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(9)
Fort Fisher State Recreation Area

Fort Fisher to Bald Head Island Beach Walk is a 28.3 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kure Beach, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 28.3 km Elevation Gain: 27 m Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Best place to start is at the Fort Fisher State Recreation Area. Be aware of closing time to the parking lot. We parked at the Fort Fisher Ferry and walked to the beach. I would walk at low tide if possible. You share the beach with vehicles for the first part of the walk. There were lots of washed up jelly fish, so wearing proper footwear depending on the season may be helpful. This is a beach, so you will be walking on loose sand unless you choose to walk in the surf. Bring lots of water and wear sunscreen. When we arrived at Bald Head Island, we opted to get a ride from near the shore to the Bald Head Ferry, took the ferry to Southport, and then took the ferry from Southport to Fort Fisher. If you choose to take ferries, make sure you know the schedules. The walking part took us 4 hours walking at a pretty good clip.

Mon Apr 29 2019

At 70+ this trek was on my bucket list. It took me 6 1/2 hours to walk from the Fort Fisher Aquarium to the Bald Head Island Ferry. My plan was to catch the last ferry back to Fort Fisher, I missed the last ferry by 30 minutes. My wife caught the last ferry to Southport just in time to pick me up at the dock. The next time I do this I plan to take the ferry over and walk back to the Aquarium. If I had not stopped to take photos and videos I think I would have caught the last ferry back. I'm trying to calculate how many miles I walked, maybe someone can tell me.

Tue Jun 19 2018

I've enjoyed this beach walk many times with my four Shih Tzu companions in recent years. The southern half is the best part because no cars/trucks are allowed except for a rare ranger vehicle. Very peaceful and usually takes me about five to six hours to walk the 18.2 mile round trip starting at the gazebo on the north end to the turnaround point at Cape Fear Point. It is well worth the effort. And for those who are in to geocaching, please check out the Wherigo geocache "GC63J2J".

Sun Nov 05 2017