Florence Nature Preserve Blue and White Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(180)
Florence Nature Preserve

Florence Nature Preserve Blue and White Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gerton, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 830 feet Route Type: Loop

Make sure you choose your route ahead of time and know where you are trying to go because there are several splits along this trail that are the same color. There are parts of this trail where you will have to walk through streams and across logs and it can definitely get slippery! Bring your waterproof hiking boots! Overall, good hike and not too steep.

We wanted to hike the Wildcat Trail across the road but the recent rains made a creek too deep to cross so we came back and did about 45 minutes out and back on this trail. It was lush and vibrant green due to the rains. Uphill hike on way out. Interesting trail with a few unique sights. A solid walk in the woods with a decent workout. Close to Asheville. We went on a Thursday and came across two different groups. Trail is narrow so keeping distance during covid can be a challenge. Will be coming back to explore these trails further.

closed due to covid, easy enough to step over the rope if you want. looks pretty from the parking area.

private property

Beautiful trail. We had snow in Chimney Rock the night before so many parts of our hike were through untraveled snow - as there weren’t many people on our morning hike. Many streams to cross with log plank bridges which were beautiful but a little tricky with a Boykin Spaniel. Trail well marked if you pay attention. We took a photo of the trail map at the trailhead which kept us from getting lost. We took the red trail back that went on private property and parts of it on the service road. Large black unleashed dog on the private property we passed was aggressive and followed us. Wouldn’t recommend taking that part of the trail especially if you have a dog with you. Will do this trail again but will leave out the area of the red trail that travels through private property.

A moderate hike. Uphill a majority of the way. The trail itself is beautiful and well kept with lots of streams and small falls. The view at the top was pretty, but definitely only can be seen in the winter. If there was any foliage on the trees, then it would be obscured.

Great hike!! Super windy at the top. Beautiful view.

Overall pretty easy. I combined Florence Nature Preserve to Little Pisgah Mountain with Ferguson Peak via Little Pisgah Road. An 18 mile day in around seven hours or so. Got sidetracked a few times but The app got me back on the proper route. Good day!

my kids love to climb the boulders but there is no Waterfall.

Such an awesome trail- well maintained and scenic in the winter months I’ll be back for more- thank you for the obvious care The Florence Conservation crew puts into this jewel of Upper Hickory Gap!

An easy but lovely trail for those seeking some workout, but mostly enjoyment of nature. The first half is uphill, but nothing serious. Even with the foliage gone, it’s still gorgeous because of all the evergreens. There’s a cute stream and some small waterfalls. The trail splits off to several other trails of different colors, so you can make it a bigger loop if you look for a more serious hike.

Beautiful hike with lots of trail options

Great moderate trail with fall/winter views. Trail is very well-maintained and clearly marked.

Hard at first but then super cool

Great late summer day for a hike to the small waterfall and back. Surprisingly few people for a warm Sunday afternoon.

loved it.

steep uphill at the beginning up stairs, but the waterfall makes it all worthwhile. took side trail to rattlesnake knob. better in the fall when leaves are down.

Shady with some nice creek crossings. No scenic overlooks though and we were unsure and got turned around a couple times.

We took on our own version of the nature preserve by trying to stop at as many marks we could in a loop. We took a five mile hike all together and saw multiple overlooks and stream falls. There was no huge waterfall but on the path we took there was a lot of streams and small waterfalls. I highly enjoyed this hike but it did have a lot of steps and really worked out the calf’s and legs!

Sun Apr 28 2019

good trail

Sun Apr 07 2019

This trail is on the easy side of moderate. The only climb really is the first 3/4 mile (yellow trail). After that, it’s a nice walk around in the woods near the creek at a rather consistent altitude with several easy crossings. Take the orange spurs to see a couple of decent lookouts, and walk the blue/red loop to see the entire area (though a significant bit of the red side is on a gravel road above 74A).

Wed Mar 20 2019

I originally intended on hiking the Little Bearwallows Falls Trial, but got mistaken with this trailhead as it is in the same small parking lot. The easier trail that leads to the waterfall is across the street. Little Bearwallows Falls is only 1.3 miles to the falls and another 3 miles to the Wildcat rock view one way. As for this hike it is very high inclined especially in the beginning, but most of the incline has built log stairs, which makes it easier. Meaning the way back down is much faster and not as hard. I did about 5 and 1/2 miles round trip. Extremely light traffic. Although the trails are color coded and have a few markings as you go up , it is not specific, which makes it difficult if you do not have a map. The start head is yellow then there is a break off to another color trail, and again in about another 1/4 of a mile is a reddish/orange color trail head. I followed the blue marks all the way up. If you make it up all the way it will be a bit confusing as it seems it is the end of the blue trail head. There will be nothing but a dirt road. You will see an old broken down tractor to your left and postage of no motor vehicles in the surrounding area. If you go right and head up the dirt road all the way up the mountain you will get great views. I had about another half a mile, if that, to make it all the way up to the top of the mountain. I know this information is correct as I got the "great views" remark from two different locals on my way back down.

Fri Feb 15 2019

Nicely kept and well marked trails. Good forest hiking.

Sun Jan 27 2019

Nice hike, didn’t do the full loop. Saw some pretty, but small, waterfalls with ice. Very steep initial ascent.

Fri Aug 31 2018

nice uphill hike with interesting things to see along the way. I also did not ever see a waterfall. My one complaint is at the first part of the trail it is VERY narrow. If you have dogs (I have 4) you have to find a good spot to gather to let other hikers pass.

Sun Jul 08 2018

One of my favorite trails in the area.

Tue Jul 03 2018

Lovely hike. We tracked it as 4.7 miles. It was a moderate hike through an idyllic forest. The trail is well marked and maintained. Take a pic of trail map before you head up.

Tue May 08 2018

Well maintained and seemingly well marked trail but I never did find the full loop of the blue trail! And, the red trail seemed to just mysteriously end at some large rocks...it was quite confusing. Otherwise decent walk in the woods, I had my two dogs and we only saw a couple other people. Probably wouldn’t go out of my way to do this again unless I was already headed down to chimney rock/lake lure.