Flat Laurel Creek is a 7.4 mile out and back trail located near Canton, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.4 miles Elevation Gain: 823 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A very easy trail from NC-215 up to the Forest Service parking area at Black Balsam Mountain. The overall elevation gain is very modest over the length of the trail, and there are some beautiful views to the west and also of Sam's Knob.

Easy hike with beautiful views and some swimming holes, looks like a nice camping spot too!

This trail is tons of fun on a mountain bike! Very narrow and rocky in places, but definitely doable. You can get off your bike and go hang out on the river in places, and see waterfalls. The trail itself is pretty wet in places, but your feet won’t get as soaked on a bike! This is the highest east coast trail I’ve ridden, and I’m excited to do it again.

Started at 215 and hiked Flat Laurel creek trail to Sams knob and Sams knob summit, and back around to Flat Laurel Creek. Washed out trail bed walking through lots of rocks and roots. Good hike up to Sams knob summit and down through field and forests. Lots of waterfalls and stream crossings. Camping along stream with plenty of places to cool off.

I linked the Flat Laurel, Little Sam and the MST to make a loop. The Flat Laurel Creek Trail is a great short hike to a nice cascading falls. I was going to go back same route but decided to add a few miles and make it a loop. Little Sam trail is mostly a washed out trail. Lots of rocks and roots, not my favorite kind of hike but still better than working, the remainder of hike was a 2 mile stretch on the MST back to 215 and my vehicle.

One of my favorite hikes! It is very doable but a decent moderate workout. Beautiful views and waterways.

Great scenic trail with many waterfalls. Not many steep overhangs so great for kids. Completely enjoyed it!!!

Nice relaxing walk with good scenery and a few falls. Hardest part is finding where to park/start the hike. You can go "backwards" from the Black Balsam parking lot or go up the parkway a bit more and take 215 to Canton for a couple of miles. Easy path and gradual incline with some muddy areas.

nice little trail with small creek crossings. your feet may get a little wet if the creek is high. Nice views and different foliage at higher elevations.

This is an easy enjoyable walk in the woods! Took our dog on her very first hike and it was a perfect intro to hiking. There are waterfalls, creek crossings, not strenuous - just very enjoyable. This is your hike if you need a peaceful walk in the woods.

Trail is a nice walk through the woods. Starts with a water crossing where your feet might get a little wet if the water is running high. I nearly hiked the whole thing and never reached the “meadow” part of the trail. Plenty of water opportunities.

Easy hike. Park where mountain to sea trail crosses Road 215. Then wake to the start at flat Laurel Creek. There is water at the top by the falls. After that you will see very little to none. This train is not used by a lot of people. There is camp sites all along the way

Highly recommend, this trail has enough to please everyone in a group. Vistas, water, and beautiful flowers in the meadow section with butterflies.

Scouting hike for possible campsites. Was going to do Greenmountain but middle prong looked a little too spooky for a solo hike. Once again forgot to cut off the recording. Probably right at 7.5 miles. Lovely day!

This was an awesome hike, especially with 2 kids, 10 & 11.. I didn’t give it a 5 because the falls were not marked and we had to go down a few steep hills to find the one. Definitely worth the search once we found it though!

Kelly and I, second day of first weekend together.

The flat Laurel Creek Trail was amazing! My lady and I packed for a one night camping expedition and found a good opportunity to loop the trail via little Sam’s knob, Sam’s Knob, and Black balsam For a total of 13 miles round trip back to the Black mountain parking area. The flat Laurel Creek Trail was pretty easy but elevation gains increase if you decide to make the same loop we made. Lots of water on the trail and plenty of places to stop off and take a dip/bath. I believe beginners and season the hikers unlike would enjoy this trail in general. Happy hiking!

Mon May 27 2019

Beautiful with small falls through. Little rocky in places. Not steep, unless you go up Sam Knob. Narrow in a few spots in the warmer months from growth. One of my favs!

Fri May 24 2019

This is one of our favorite to do over and over! Very nice trail, lots of water features and nice views! kids and dogs accomplished with so perfect for family outings! Was about 4 miles to top where connected to Sam's Knob trail then hiked backed down

Mon Aug 20 2018

A most excellent adventure. We did the one way hike from Black Balsam to NC 215. Easy trail with lots of places to get my paws and fur wet. Trail was in good shape. Only one big mud puddle to navigate around. Lots of four legged friends to play with along the way.

Mon Jul 30 2018

Wife and I walked this trail today and it went to the top of our favorites list. Gradual incline which I love and lots of water features for her. Some nice camping sites for future use, and tons of blackberries for the picking. Very light traffic (6 folks and 3 dogs) besides us. This is a trail you can take friends and family to no matter what their hiking experience level. We'll be back.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Great hike with the family! Climb is super gradual and full of incredible natural sights and waterfalls. The top makes a great picnic spot or even camping spot. Will definitely be back and even go further on the trail.

Sun Jun 24 2018

My son and I had a great time hiking this trail. It is marked as moderate but it is an easy hike. The only thing I can think of that may be difficult for some people are the rocky parts.

Sun Jun 17 2018

beautiful hike today... it has been raining in the evening so the trail was wet and a little muddy but I didn't mind at all the scenery was gorgeous.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Beautiful crisp morning with a little snow on the ground still. Falls were gorgeous.

Sat Jan 27 2018

Great loop with the Mountains to Sea Trail and Little Sam’s Trail

Mon Dec 25 2017

Great time on this trail yesterday! Some very nice views and some great campsites!