Learn more

Farlow Gap is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Brevard, North Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.0 mi Elevation gain 1,791 ft Route type Out & Back

Waterfall

Wild flowers

Description
Waypoints (0)

Please be aware this route involves very dangerous water crossings which will required you to remove shoes, brace yourself with hiking poles to avoid being pushed over and sometimes the water can be over your knees.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (14)
Photos (79)
Recordings (10)
Completed (69)
janet Lute
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Did this in conjunction with the Daniel Ridge Loop. We took care at the stream crossings but water was not high. Don't do this hike after heavy rain. Steep climb up to the Art Loeb after the last stream crossing and the terrain is rocky here. Very quiet.

Amy Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 3, 2019
Backpacking

My two friends and I had this trail included in our weekend backpacking loop. As soon as we turned onto it from the Daniel ridge trail, we knew we were in trouble. As you turn left, the trail almost immediately hits the river. Long story short, there are three very dangerous water crossings which required us to remove shoes, brace ourselves with hiking poles to avoid being pushed over and sometimes the water was over our knees. One of the crossing was at the top of a waterfall which could have ended very badly if something had gone wrong. I don’t know if this is normal for this trail or a result of the heavy rain we had the day before. The actual hiking part was quite beautiful but there were tree branches down in a few places that we kind of had to just plow through. The end of the final uphill push was hard but not undoable. Edit: I checked the first water crossing a week later and while it would still require shoes to be removed, it looked must less scary as the water level was lower and flowing a little more slowly.

Amanda Litts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 29, 2019
Hiking

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to start from the BRP. It wasnt. Well it kinda was cuz I was just hiking for a workout today and this was definitely that. I did 6 miles with 3 ups and 3 downs. Unfortunately it started with a big down and hence ended with a big up. But I didn't die!!

View Amanda's Recording
Micheline Callicott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2018
Backpacking

Beautiful!

Forrest Cory
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2017
Mountain biking

Remote and technical mountain bike trail... Long fire road climb to get there but totally worth it if you want to tackle the toughest MTB trail Pisgah has to offer

John Tollefson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2015
Bird Watching

Great

Long Luu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 20, 2014
Mountain biking

This is a mean decent on a mountain bike. Techy, fast, steep.....and depending on the conditions it could be nice and dry or super slick and dangerous. Make sure your brakes work well before heading down this trail...I'm serious!

Billy Talley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2012
First to Review

Perfect for your big bike. The climb up the fire road is my only complaint. The rough and technical natural rock floor of this trail is what I dean of. This is a very difficult trail and on my list to ride many more times.

janet Lute
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
View janet's Recording
D Thomas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
View D's Recording
Paul Hogan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2019
View Paul's Recording
Kegan Flynn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 3, 2018
View Kegan's Recording
T Bone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 20, 2017
View T's Recording
Justin P
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2014
View Justin's Recording