Fall Mountain Trail

Fall Mountain Trail is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Albemarle, North Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Albemarle, NC: Travel six miles east of Albemarle on NC 740. Turn right (east) onto Morrow Mountain Road and take it into the park. Travel past the park gate and the park residences and you will come to a fork in the road. Bear left and travel to the boat launch. The trail begins either near the boathouse or on the northeastern end of the boat launch parking lot.

Great for a weekend hike and not far from home. This will become a normal for me. Up a mountain and along the lake. Love it!

There are quite a few trees down that you’ll have to nav around, or hop over. Otherwise, it’s pretty easy with a gradual incline and nice views on the way up when you can see between the trees. Keep your eyes open - we saw a rattlesnake on the trail and a wild turkey.

Easy walk, some nice views along the river

Morrow Mountain has several trails and I his one is moderately easy with only a few climbs. The views are fantastic and the trail is well marked.

This was a decent trail. Wish there were more views from up top but the river walk at the end was really nice. So much burn area there was a horrible stench of burnt wood most of the hike. Would recommend more in the fall/winter for more views.

Not a trail for beginners. Lots of burned wood from controlled fires. Nice change in surroundings as you go up and down in elevation. Moderately trafficked. Nice area at the summit to take a break and some pictures before going back down. Wear the appropriate shoes for roots and rocks.

Such a lovely trail!! Easy to moderate climbs. The only issues I had were several large, leafy trees downed in the trail path that took a fair bit of body twisting to get through and/or over. For a fairly hot day(85'F) it was shady, breezy and cool for the most part.

Short, easy hike. Nice wide trails. Enjoyable.

Nice hike, the middle part is very boring though. There are quite a few trees down on part of the trail but that added fun for us. There's no real view at the top unless you go when the leaves are down. I recommend doing the loop clockwise, it gets the harder part out of the way at the beginning and then at the end there's a really pleasant walk along the water.

Beautiful in the spring.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Lots of small rocks on trail. Some fallen trees along path. The trail along the river was very nice! The controlled burn was apparent .

Monday, May 22, 2017

Easy, leisurely walk with a portion by the river. Very apparent a prescribed burn has happened, so the trail is not as scenic as it was. Nice, cooler temps on our hike.

Monday, May 01, 2017

It was a nice mix of easy & moderate hike. We completed it in less than 2 hours. Many roots, small rocky trail at some points, nice graduating elevations. Trail was marked well. Too bad there wasn't a great place at the top to view a large part of the lake and/or mountain ridge. But it was nice just the same. They had recently set a fire to burn off the ground cover, so there was a lot of charred trees, so our hike kinda smelled like that.

Tuesday, March 07, 2017

Fun trail with lots of small rocks on portions of it. We did it clockwise and had a good time. Right at 4.1 miles as the sign at the trailhead states. Very clearly marked with orange triangles. Was definitely moderate for me. Lots of up then lots of down either way you go. Seems to be more switchbacks on the end part of the trail which was down for us going clockwise. So an easier ascent might be going counter clockwise with a longer ascent, but a more gradual incline.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

We started to just take a walk down Lake Tillery. The trail was so enjoyable we continued to complete the trail. a bonus was a slight detour to find the Kron family cemetery. An interesting piece of Morrow Mountain history.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Trail is well maintained, took me right around 2 hours to complete. No spectacular views but good exercise.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Good exercise. I've never seen any good views from the trail. Apparently in winter you can. Don't expect that from the trail.

The trail is well maintained and great for a hike.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

I loved this trail! It is rated as moderate and it was a good workout for me! I went with my son and his friend. We enjoyed nature and found many different types of mushrooms, which is one of my fav things to look for! I will definitely do this again. The trail was marked well and it actually is a loop. Other trails I've been on have not exactly been a loop or it has overgrown and I've lost the trail. The restrooms were decent and there is a canoe rental and a place to get snacks/waters, that doesn't open til 10am though. I will be back to rent a canoe.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Great trail!! Loved the quartz garden :):)

Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Trail was great!

Sunday, April 12, 2015

First hike. Didn't stop and managed it in a little over 2 hours. Ready for something a bit tougher.

Monday, January 19, 2015

fun trail to hike especially if you go off the marked trail when following the river north towards the Falls damn really strenuous rocks to climb near damn did it with my dog views make it worth it enough people take this detour that there is a path that meets back up with marked trail .

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Very nice trail. Not overly strenuous however up hill part of the way. Great for a dog as it's not very rocky.

Very well marked. However I think it is longer than 4.1 miles.

Friday, May 31, 2013

moderately strenuous is what it is rated. I wouldn't even call it that, but there is some elevation change so I guess it could be. Best part of hike was the flat section along the Yadkin river. It's a loop hike with nothing special to see, just a nice jaunt through the woods. Oh, if you like white quartz rock, there is a lot of that on parts of the trail.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fall Mountain Trail is located in Morrow Mountain State Park. It runs along the river for a bit, and then begins an ascent to a bluff that overlooks the river (view is obscured by trees/leaves except in late fall / winter).

The trail is well-maintained and is a decent hike.