Cox Mountain Trail

Cox Mountain Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Durham, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

The trail is great for a day hike and offers places to camp and launch canoes.

Nice trail! 5 miles with the Fanny Ford extension - which is a must for the beautiful water views!

Good workout trail! It’s well maintained and it was moderately trafficked by people (and dogs on a leash) Go early (park opens at 7:00am) the parking lot will fill after 9:00am...

Great loop! My dog loved the Eno river running along the trail so she could jump in when she got too hot. The signs and blazes make it easy to follow. Wonderful spot!

Beautiful walk along the Eno river. Good hills. Nice hike.

A recent relocation and upgrade has helped turn this good trail into a great one. Gone are the super-steep climbs and descent from the peak of Cox mountain, replaced now with more gradual and less worn new trail. My guess is the relo has added about .3 miles to the original, but it is all great trail.
Highly recommended!

Highly recommend. Beautiful, very clean and well shaded.

Nice trail. Turtles on logs in river. Mileage does not include fanny ford extension shown on red trail map.
Easy to leave off with short connector trail. Quite a bit up and down. Rough terrain. Suggest older hiker like me (73) use sticks and good hiking boots.

Great Views by the river. A detour so it’s a little different then the map.

Nice hike up and down a bigger hill. Little walk along the river on the other side and back.

Great hike, lots of time by the river. Moderate traffic.

Great year round hiking spot, can be a little too busy during peak hours in the warmer months.

I enjoyed it very much. It inclines, declines, woods, trees, the Eno River, maybe other bodies of running water, ice, snow, sun, shade, a bridge or two, and more.

Loved this hike. Good spot halfway for my dog to swim in the river. Very few people in January once you leave the entrance/exit areas.

Great!

Fun trail, decent elevation change. Terrain was moderate and trail running in the fall makes it very easy to stumble on tree roots or rocks. Be careful! I ended up at 3.3mi but I think I missed the 1.5mi loop on the back. I went counter clockwise and when I came to an intersection got confused and went back to the trail head. Either way, awesome state park.

Monday, September 18, 2017

FYI the Track shown is actually for the Cox Mountain Trail combined with part of the Fanny's Ford trail

Friday, September 08, 2017

Great trail. Most of it use to be a road back in the 1800's. Can't wait to do or again.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

A great local trail for a 2 1/2 hour hike including a picnic lunch. There are lots of roots, rocks and steps. A fair amount of elevation with a lot of switchbacks. We heard a large tree fall in the woods. The river was lovely, lots of people swimming. Enjoyed the suspension bridge. Recommend going early as the park was full by the time we left at noon.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

This was a great workout! I combined Cox Mountain Trail with Holden's Mill Trail and branched off a little further to gain a few extra miles. Plenty of elevation change and rocks to get across. The river was pretty and had lots of people playing in the water and having picnics. I'll definitely be back to this one again. Part of the trail has been re-routed, so it doesn't match the map exactly, but didn't have any problems following the path.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

This is a moderate hike. Nice and shady as well as a cool breeze on the day we hiked in May. Saw 3 snakes tho. Great trek, check out Picnic nearby for lunch. 5 stars.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Nice trail. When you get to the loop portion going left is the biggest elevation change part of the trail which I was glad I tackled first.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Not crowded, clearly marked, and beautiful. I set up my hammock along the Eno on my return across the footbridge... just gorgeous! A good amount of elevation change to keep your heart rate up.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Well kept and clearly marked, but also challenging with lots of elevation change. It seems like they've made the trail a bit longer than is currently marked here, but there's no danger of getting lost.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

A little upset they re routed the trail to not have a challenging climb.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

The scenery was amazing. Lots of different terrain and elevation changes. EXCELLENT workout if you're trying to build up stamina. Absolutely enjoyed myself!

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Beautiful river and hanging bridge along with well-maintained trail. We are looking forward to hiking move of the Eno trails.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Good hike. Good distance and elevation.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

I am new to hiking and out of shape. this trail is an awesome workout for those like myself. I had to rest a minute 2 times, but I did do the whole thing. I am someone who pushes through so I wanted to complete it, but I wouldn't recommend this to all 46 year old, out of shapers :) We will be back though, we loved it!

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Lots of people and dogs on a Saturday but overall a good workout.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Good length of a hike and some challenge (for me at least) with the incline and coming back up. It was busy, particularly on a beautiful February day.