Elk Knob Summit Trail

Elk Knob Summit Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Todd, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 961 feet Route Type: Out & Back

we did this trail yesterday and it was a beautiful easy hike. it was snowing and very windy which made it even more pretty. the hike through the forest on a snowy day felt like a winter wonderland! unfortunately the views at the summit were foggy so we didn't see anything. at 1 mile point you will see the 1st overlook! nice! be aware: the park closes at 6 pm and the trail closes at 5.45 pm. also secure your belonnings. the surrounding area is a little sketchy..

Beautiful summit trail with several switchbacks. The views are well worth the hike and very dog and kid friendly.

Love this trail!! The views from the summit are breathtaking.

Wonderful hike. very well maintained and easy to follow. Views for most of it. I didn't want to leave the summit. Also saw some beautiful deer that were very curious in me!

Picked this trail when looking for a reasonable option to try with a two-dog to one-human ratio. It was exactly what I was looking for- a good distance, elevation, and view without particularly treacherous footing. I especially enjoyed being able to look out to two of our favorite hiking spots- Roan Mountain to the south, and the Grayson Highlands/Mt Rogers to the north!

icy

Awesome trail that included switchbacks and rock stairs, in November the trail goes from fall to winter as you progress to the summit. We experienced frost and ice and at the summit it had amazing views.

Is there a waterfall?

We love hiking this trail! It's not too hard, great for families. My youngest, at 5, troops up without a pause! There's a great overlook just pass the 1 Mile mark and views from the top are amazing!

very well kept trail. views are stunning at the top. very popular trail.

great hike beautiful scebery at the summit. sat down to eat my lunch while enjoying the view from the North viewpoint. took lots of pics of various flowers berries leaves trees . great hike up not that hard but harder on thr knees coming down . had a hiking stick to help woth coming down those rocky switchbacks

well maintained trail views at the end are worth the climb

Very nice well maintained trail. The woods are beautiful and the views at the top are very good. However for me, the summit was not worthy of hanging out for a while. It was like, after I saw the view I was ready to go. No trees and no shade. Beautiful all the way up and then disappointment at the actual summit.

Beautiful views at the summit, very worth it. Hike is very easy, just a steady walk up the entire time. Roughly 1.8 mi the top

This hike was a great workout and had a spectacular view at the summit!!

Well maintained and marked trail. Easy to moderate hike with beautiful views of the North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia Mountains.

Very well marked and maintained trail. Three kids ages 4-11 were able to keep up. Lovely shaded hike with a few views along the way, then you’re rewarded with long-range views at the summit. We encountered a couple at the top just after he had proposed to his fiancée. :) We went on a Saturday in July, and while we saw quite a few people, it wasn’t too crowded.

well maintained trail with lots of switch backs but the views from the top are worth it

All up hill. We went on a foggy day. Didn’t get much of a view. But great hiking and a well maintained trail

I wasn’t totally blown away, but I would definitely do this trail again. It’s super well maintained which can almost take a little fun out of it, but there really are some great views both at the top and at the midpoint. There was also a very gentle doe who crossed in front of me and about 5 others, so the possibility of seeing wildlife is there.

Slightly disappointed by the overlook at the top but the trail was beautiful. Lots of pretty wildlife. Very narrow towards top.

Great trail. Good view to north at one mile in. A fantastic view at top. Trail can be very rough. If you have balance issues I recommend walking sticks.

First quarter mile is the steepest but not too bad. Rest is gradual incline. I wish the trail were wider so two people could walk side by side but other than that, i like the trail. My 6 year old was able to do it easily