Elk Knob Summit Trail

Elk Knob Summit Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Todd, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I went here to get a sunset hike and it was so beautiful. The trail is well-maintained and it doesn’t disrupt the forest much at all. Both views at the top are stunning, but I watched the sunset from the South View and it absolutely blew me away. Even though I went when the trees were bare it was awesome. I highly recommend!!

Beautiful view. Trail is well maintained and clean. Happy Thanksgiving!

Well marked and we'll maintained trail. to two good views at the top. Steady uphill climb the whole way, but plenty of benches along the way, and a nice view about half way up. Easy to find with plenty of parking at the trail head, would do again!

Great trail and we enjoyed it more than our family expected to. Lots of folks on the trail this time of year, great views and I would love to come back in the spring to witness the flowering plants.

Medium to difficult hike. Elevation climb is pretty steep. One of the best maintained trails. Gorgeous scenery and overlooks. The leaves color change in early October was stunning.

Quite a climb up but worthwhile when you get to the panoramic views. Speedy going down. Lots of folks enjoying the trail along with their dogs

Peaceful. The view is worth the narrow climb.

Great hike with better views! Perfect for dogs.

amazing views, take water, it's worth the walk

Great little hike, not too challenging, with two phenomenal views, one facing North and one facing South. Very rewarding hike!

A lot of work for very little reward, but great exercise. Two small viewing areas at end of the trail, one called north view and the other south view. The two views are within 100 yards of each other. North view is better. Top seemed crowded with apx 10 people. Trail was a series of switchbacks all the way to the top. Ample parking.

Awesome trail! Beautifully maintained.

Clearly marked trails- really fun!

Great hike. Great views. Highly recommend!

VERY WELL KEPT trail. Even with heavy rains the trail was still in awesome shape. Fun hike with plenty of friendly hikers!

This is a great trail and is extremely well maintained. They have flattened the trail with rocks on both sides of the path. When it gets a bit steeper they have made an excellent use of rocks so you have stairs. They also employ at lot of switchbacks to keep the incline moderate. I wish more trails were planned and groomed as well.

Great, well maintained trails with a beautiful payoff view at the end. I gave it 4-stars due to the path being narrow and having lots of switchbacks. I would definitely hike here again.

Best kept secret in Watauga County. It's a gem!

There are lots of wonderful trails in the area...and this is one of my favorites. The climb to the two special summit lookouts is not difficult, but just enough to give you a sense of accomplishment. It is also beautifully maintained. There were a pair of bald eagles flying close by on my last visit in late spring. I have also enjoyed hiking it on a cold early spring day. I definitely want to return during the peak fall colors!

Absolutely loved this trail. The weather could not have been any more perfect, upper 70's which was nice since we were working up a sweat to reach the summit. Incredible views at the top. A great trail for our children (10 and 5) with places for breaks if they got tired. Would hike this one again