Dunnagan Trail

Dunnagan Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Durham, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

fly fishing

Directions from Durham, NC: From I-85 South to Durham, take Cole Mill exit, turn right, after 5 miles road will enter the park. From I-85 North, take Exit 170 between Hillsborough and Durham. Make a U-turn after coming off the exit ramp, go under the interstate a quarter mile, turn right on Pleasant Green Road, then turn left at intersection with Cole Mill Road. Once you cross the Eno River you will see parking on your left. Park there and begin on Pea Creek Trail which is across the road from the parking and picnic area. Travel Pea Creek Trail in either direction to reach Dunnagan's Trail.

Love the tombstone. so much history in the middle of nowhere.

Nice trail, I chose this one after seeing pics of the Dunnagan gravesite. It was pretty neat, looks like there are actually 3 other graves right beside this one, but only one has an official headstone. Pretty scenery on the river side of the trail. You can see the pump ruins across the river. I'll definitely be going back to do the trails on the other side of the river! I had 3 kids with me that were tired from already walking the Bobbit Hole trail, so we didn't get to spend as much time on this one.

I went left after accessing from the Pea Creek trail, taking the loop clockwise (though I did not notice a real advantage either way). As previously stated, you do pass a few old gravesites in the woods. There was a good view of the pump station ruins on the opposite bank just after making it back down to the river. The trail along the river on the return was mostly flat and easy. I saw several trail runners on a pretty New Year's Eve day.

At the split, go left to go down to the river follow along the river and then back up the loop along the low ridge. Grave site is near the end. I take my doggy swimming when we get down to the river. Perfect for a 45 min walk in the woods.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Monday, August 31, 2015

The Dunnagan Trail is actually 1.8 miles (per the Eno River State Park Trail Map), not 3.1 miles. The overall mileage via the Pea Creek Trail may be closer to three miles. This is a nice tail which provides both riverside and inland elements. The river section is easy and the inland section is moderate.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Nice views of river as well as some geocaching and a view of a cemetery with interesting history