Doughton Park Trail

Doughton Park Trail is a 14.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hays, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I hiked the full loop from the base yesterday. Cedar Ridge trail up to Brinegar cabin then across the park on the Bluff Mountain trail before coming back down the mountain on Flat Rock Ridge. Please do not attempt the full loop unless you are in very good physical condition. It was 17.4 miles total, and I think this time of year (late March) is a great time for it as the lack of foliage means that the entire length of the trail has gorgeous views. This is one of my favorite places.

Walked whole loop with my son, in Sept 2017. It was beautiful. Not a lot of scenery due to foliage. It was a great experience. Started at campsite: took Bluff Mtn Trail, down the mountain on Flat Rock Ridge and then back up mountain on Cedar Ridge Trail and then back to campground.

Basing my stars on Stone Mountain, BUT I am going there in two weeks, which direction should I go for the quickest route to the best features? What are the best features? Bluff Mountain and Alligator Back shelter. Thanks for any info:)

Beautiful views and a great hike.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

I parked by the lodge and hiked from the Wildcat Rocks Overlook to Bluff Mountain and the Alligator Back shelter, before heading back. This part of the trail follows very beautiful mostly open rolling terrain. And the views from the crest of the hills are wonderful, particularly on the spectacular fall day I was lucky to get!

Friday, June 12, 2015

Great views!!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

We parked one vehicle at the Brinegar Cabin overlook (trail access) and our other at the Doughton Park picnic area 5 miles south on the BlueRidge Pwy.

(Note: In our hurry to setout hiking we missed the fact that the trail has two access points at opposite ends of the parking area. )

We inadvertently took the South trail head for nearly a mile before correcting. It gave us all a good laugh and time to stretch before enjoying our 5 mi hike (N) to our pickup vehicle.

Sunday, June 25, 2017