Devils Hole, Linville Gorge, Spence Ridge Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(9)
Linville Gorge Wilderness

Devils Hole, Linville Gorge, Spence Ridge Trail is a 11.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Morganton, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 11.1 km Elevation Gain: 527 m Route Type: Loop

Loop: Devils Hole Trail, rock hop up stream, cross Linville River (waist deep depending on time of year), Linville Gorge Trail, cross again, Spence Ridge Trail, Road 210.

Water level was too high to cross in mid February. Once I got down to the river, I took my time climbing over boulders for a half mile upstream. At one point to go any further, I had to climb back up the valley to go around an impassable section. I climbed on all fours pulling myself up by small trees and roots. When I finally got to the part of the river where the AllTrails trail would have me cross, the water was far to deep and fast moving for me to attempt crossing. This would be an awesome trail if the water level was lower and it was a hot day so I wouldn't mind getting wet. Wish the description they gave on was more informative.

First time hiking this trail and the view was marvelous!! In the beginning it’s not so bad but right before you reach the top that’s when you really have to push yourself.

Tough trail but very beautiful. I did an out and back to the river. Easy to cross but couldn’t find the trailhead on the other side.

Mon Apr 02 2018

on the harder side but not to bad considering the length.

Fri Aug 31 2018