Densons Creek Nature Trail

Densons Creek Nature Trail is a 7 mile out and back trail located near Troy, North Carolina that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Definitely not an easy hike in terms of terrain. I would not suggest it for young children, beginners or the elderly. Otherwise fine for everyone else. It does pass the highway for a stretch, but pretty views most everywhere else. There are several changes in the forest throughout. Not a steady uphill climb, lots of up and downs, roots and rocks. Not an active trail, lightly trafficked. I encountered a snake within the first mile.

Death by cobwebs! Not one of Uwharrie's better trails. I was the only one on the trail on the 4th of July.

First time hiking the trail. My GF and I wanted to do something close but longer than her normal walk around the local reservoir. We took the dog and she normally is tired after 2 miles but she did really well. We hiked about 3/4s of the trail before turning around. We plan to go back and hike the whole trail again. For the most part the trail is clearly marked. There is one spot towards the beginning of the trail where the bridge is down and doesn't span the chasm. There are some tree limbs that are sturdy enough to walk across but you have to be careful. I team of about 4 should go and fix the bridge though. Other than that we saw some turtles and the rapids from the stream was soothing.

We hike this trail often mainly because we live just a few miles from the Roy Maness end. We love this trail for the many diversities it offers. If you only have time for a loop around city lake or take in the whole trail you will find it enjoyable. Nice mt bike trail if you like to bike as well. Happy hiking.

If you like your trails a little rough and wild then this is for you. Lots of up and downs, creeks, a river. Note when you get to the stone bridge, the trail turns left up the road. The trail to the dam is closed.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

A lovely and easy hike. The first road crossing was well marked, thanks to the Boy Scouts, but the return crossing was not as clear, and I slowly walked by the side of the highway until I found it. Other than this small glitch, it was a very enjoyable hike on a perfect autumn day.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

This was a great hike, I did the 2.2 mile loop. It is obvious though that this location is not hiked often, that being said I cleared all the spiderwebs off the trail for you. I liked that is a little overgrown in areas and its like you away from the hustle and bustle of the normal world.
Its also worth mentioning that I hiked this with my almost 2 year old, so it is not very difficult.

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Saturday, February 14, 2015

This hike has two loops, a short one, 1 mile, and a longer one, 2.2 miles. It's rated easy and in dry weather it is. I've hiked the longer loop four times and each time I saw and heard different friends, squirrels, birds, and other groundlings. Today I heard a woodpecker that was very busy. The hike circles Denson's Creek and features several spots where the water spilling sounds make a peaceful resting place. I've enjoyed the hike in the summer and the winter. The tall pines are a thing of beauty reaching up trying to touch the sky.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

This was my first hike and it was also a solo hike. The trail was an easier trail so this was perfect for a first timer. I chose to take the extended trail instead of the optional short loop and loved the trail moving beside of Densen's creek, however, I missed the last section of the trail, I am not sure if the markings were hidden or what, but came out at the 24/27 parking lot and way unsure of where I was in accordance to the ranger station. I did enjoy a nice quiet lunch beside the creek, listening to the birds singing, watching the water, and even saw a fawn jump from the creek bed and scurry off. The day was hot, the trail was abandoned other than myself but it was a nice day for a hike.