Daniel Ridge Loop is a 4.1 mile loop trail located near Brevard, North Carolina and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 793 feet Route Type: Loop

Overall, on the easier side for a Moderate trail. We walked it with my dog and none of us were particularly challenged. We went left to start. The first mile or so is pretty flat and gravel with lots of primitive campsites between the trail and the river. After that, easy incline over the next 1.5 miles or so with spots to walk down to the river or nice overviews of the rapids as you get higher. Lots of wildflowers, rhododendron, and other green life along the way. Trail narrows slightly as you get higher up. The walk down is much shorter than the walk up. You cross a number of streams all with intact bridges or otherwise simple crossings. Going clockwise, you end up on the gravel road again right next to the falls with an impressive view from the bottom. From there it's a short walk back to the start of the loop.

Excellent hike! Great scenery the entire way, as it follows the Davidson River most of the way and you pass a few waterfalls. Strenuous at times, but mostly moderate. Passed some great camp sites along the river that we plan to return to! Definitely add this to your list!

Very nice area. There were some trees down but they were passable. There are obviously people that take care of this trail. I'm guessing that it is medium to heavily trafficked during normal times. Today, we were alone on the trail and at the falls. There were other cars but we didn't see anyone. One of these days I will pay attention to the other reviews. But not today cuz it didn't register in my head that the falls are right away if you go to the right. Anyhoo, we figured that out when we got halfway and no falls. We did go clockwise and I feel that way is best only for the view of the creek as you are going up. I dont feel that one way was steeper than the other. All in all it was a beautiful hike with very nice falls.

Beautiful trail. I stayed to the left to save the big waterfall until the end. I'm glad I did the walk up the left side is beautiful, with cascading falls. My GPS was at 5.2 miles, but I'm an explorer.

this is a lovely trail! we only saw maybe 3 other couples while walking the trail. leave yourself about 3 hours to complete it, including time to check out the waterfall. 5/5 stars!

Harder and longer than listed from parking overall it was 5.5 miles and it was a lot of uphill. We went left to save the waterfall at the end, the downhill portion at the end was hard and steep. I’m not sure I’d want to go by the waterfall first due to the steepness of the trail there. The beginning is photo opportunity after photo opportunity. Great hike overall, I did it with my wife and two boys (5 & 11).

this trail holds many surprises.. from walking right beside the creek to wooded settings, this trail is every nature lovers dream. from bikers to hikers to campers this trail offers everything.

One of our new favorites. Lots of varied terrain, river viewing, bridges and a nice waterfall. We headed left which follows the river for a long time. This direction saves the fall until the end. About 10% of the Trail was muddy. Very dog friendly. Might be better in winter and spring before all the leaves obscure the river view.

This is an easy hike. I'd definitely combine it with some other trails to make for a full day of hiking. Parking lot was empty first thing in the morning but was overcrowded when we came back three hours later.

Hiked today, 2/14/2020. The trail was in great shape, just wet/muddy in less than 1% of the trail. The river and waterfall were flowing nicely, temp around 50 degrees. I took the left turn at the beginning and enjoyed that route which saves the big waterfall until the end of the hike. Signage is minimal and I encountered a few groups about halfway around that were wondering if they were on the loop trail and had no idea how long of a hike it was. Just under 2 hours to complete the loop stopping to take a few photos. I would hike this again. There are no long range views but it is a nice trail.

We loved this hike! Love that it's a loop. We ended up doing it on a misty Wednesday, 2/5/20. We had the trail to ourselves, literally. The terrain is incredibly varied, and you will definitely get a good workout on the incline. After you cross the bridge from the parking area, you can turn right or go straight. We turned right, checked out the falls, then started up the trail. There are a lot of stream crossings (with bridges or easily crossed without getting wet), it is really root-y in some places, rocky in others. Watch your footing. We thoroughly enjoyed this hike. Very beautiful on the out as it travels along the river/creek. It had rained, so it was a little more soggy in some areas, but not mucky at all. We managed without getting our feet soaked. On a nice spring, summer or fall day, I imagine it could be packed. But today, it was just me, husband and the dog. :) Highly recommend!

Good trail, took the left first after reading reviews (which was definitely a good move). Seeing the river coming at you is better than having to turn around for views and possibly missing a few. Misleading mileage on website- this is most definitely a 7 mile hike (only followed single red blazes)- so be prepared if you plan to start late. Waterfall is beautiful and viewing at the end of hike totally makes it worth the extra miles!

Solid trail with a decent elevation gain after passing the waterfall. Some muddy and icy sections since the temperatures dropped, but it was lovely to follow the river with a number of small cascades. Red blazes were consistent and any trail crossings were marked clearly.

We went when it was rainy and took the left trail first to loop around to see the falls last on the way back. Very enjoyable hike despite the rain.

Great trail. Went counter clockwise.

A wonderful day for a hike. Went to Toms Spring Falls. Beautiful and worth it . Continued on Daniel Ridge Trail to Farlow Gap trail. Went to Shucks Creek Fall. A difficult trail. Water fall hard to get to and not worth it unless like me you are doing Waterfall Challenge. Finished Farlow and returned to Daniel Ridge loop.

I went counter clockwise which worked out nicely. Going in this direction allows you to go up hill to the point where the trail meets Farlow Gap Trail then you go downhill following the Davidson River which is a relaxing and pretty walk.

Thanks to all the reviewers who said go left at the spur. There is no way my kids (ages 8 and 5) would have completed this otherwise. It's a beautiful trail with lots of cool things to look at like small waterfalls and swimming holes, different plants and trees, and fungi. The camp sites look awesome, as do some of the swimming holes - definitely doing this one again!

Great trail! Very shaded, beautiful forest. Wild flowers and interesting fungi. After going over the bridge, in a short distance the trail splits. If you go to the left the uphill is much more gradual than going to the right. Also, going to the left you walk along a beautiful babbling creek most of the way up. When coming off the trail at the end of the loop, be sure to go to your left to walk to the base of the falls. It’s so pretty, and a nice place for lunch. The parking lot is the opposite way from the falls after you finish soaking in the views. Great up and downs for exercise, would do this trail again. Watch for snakes! Saw a large black snake on the side of the trail going down.

October 2019 Really enjoyed this trail, fun hike with lots of river crossings, good elevation change but not too tough. We did it on a rainy/cloudy day and was the perfect hike for the day as the elements didn’t really impact the hike. Waterfall was ok but the highlight for me was the trail itself.

The first half of trail was great walk-in along water. Trail was rough in places. Also ran into yellow jacket nest stepping down to bridge for creek crossing.