Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak is a 7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,007 feet Route Type: Loop

NOTE: As of 2/24/2019 - the Nuwati Trail portion of this loop is closed. This trail can still be done as an out-and-back, avoiding the Nuwati Trail. You are encouraged to walk up Route 221 and start the trail from there. Please check with the Pisgah National Forest for updates. Dogs: Although dogs are allowed on the trail, this trail contains ladders that dogs cannot climb. If your dog is not small enough to lift, it is not recommended to bring a pet on this route. You will need a permit to hike this trail. One of the Parkway's most rewarding hikes climbs 2,000 feet (one way) in 3.5 miles from the Boone Fork lot at Mile 299.5 Grandfather Mountain, the most iconic peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville, N.C., and the Virginia state line, practically dares hikers check out to its highest crags. Because the peak is so prominent on the Parkway, it's only natural to answer Grandfather's challenge from one of the road's turnouts. Best time to go: The autumn colors of late early October will be spectacular, but the weekend crowds may dim the glow (weekdays should be far less crowded). The rhododendron bloom of early June is another great time to go. Early winter, before the first blizzards, and early spring, after the snow's melted, offer the best views of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Winter is the least-advisable time to attempt this hike: the Parkway is typically closed and deep snow can totally obscure the trail. Access to the Daniel Boone Scout Trail will depend upon Blue Ridge Parkway closures. Visitors should consult the NPS real-time map of Blue-Ridge Parkway closures before heading to that side of the park.

Not sure how this hike is ranked so highly, I'm an experienced hiker of all of the major trails near the BRP and this one was definitely my least favorite. It's a very tough workout, which is good, but the reason it is so tough is not. Over 20,000 steps to Callaway Peak and back, and practically every step of the way your eyes have to be firmly focused on your feet, (and you will still stub your toe and possibly trip at least a half dozen times). Roots and rocks the entire way, I don't know how anyone hikes this when there is snow on the ground. Anyway, make sure you have your best pair of hiking boots with plenty of ankle support. Your lower legs will take the brunt of this hike as every step requires some effort to stabilize yourself as your feet are rarely flat on the ground. Great foliage on the hike, but you can't look at any of it while moving or you will turn an ankle or worse. Less than 2 miles per hour due to the challenging terrain. Only one lookout for views, (Flatrock), until you get to the top. Profile trail has many of the same challenges when it comes to footing, but that's definitely a better hike imo. One more thing to note, make sure that you know exactly how to get there before you go. Google Maps navigation told me I was there when there was no "there" there. I was probably was pretty close, but we were definitely not at the Boone Fork parking area, and we turned around before we got there. No signal on the cell phone up there so technology was no help at that point, and it was really foggy/cloudy, so as I said, make sure you map this one out very well before you go.

I haven't ever gone all the way to Calloway up this trail, which is kind of absurd because we went all the way to Hi Balsam shelter, so we were so close. Alternatively, I have hiked down to Briar Patch from Calloway after coming up the Profile Trail, so I have completed this entire section of trail in sections. It's never easy. This mountain is never easy. But it's always worth it. Truth be told, I prefer the Cragway trail over the Scout Trail. Better climbing and better views along the way.

I've hiked this alone and with friends, always a great experience! Be prepared to climb a ladder. Has a few overlook spots before reaching the top!

As everyone has said, bridge is out but you can get around it by either 1) walking along the blue ridge parkway and immediately turn right after the bridge (on highway) and head down to the trail or 2) ignore the closed signs, cross the stream by hopping rocks. Choose 2! Few things why I ranked this a 2/5. For starters, I had my dog (golden retriever) who is a relatively experienced hiker and near the top, there is absolutely no way dogs can clim those ladders. It would be similar to a dog climbing a ladder to get on the roof of your house, impossible. Even if you try to work your way around them and climb up the side near the trees you risk your dog falling backwards, or sliding down the mountain and I don’t think anyone wants that for the furry friend. Bottom line, I don’t know why this is listed as dog friendly. It surely is NOT. Secondly, mileage is relatively inaccurate. Signs every few miles do not match what my garmin, wife’s Apple Watch, and phone captured. We logged 8.1 miles round trip and we stopped at the ladders and obviously did not make it to the top. Entire trail is washed out also, root central. Unfortunate overall as I was excited but this wasn’t worth the trouble. Stick to the L gorge!

bridge out

You have to access through the Asusti trail while the bridge is out, but easy to find! Once in the parking lot you will follow the road up about 30 ft past the bridge just a little bit and you’ll see a small trail created by the rangers on your right. It doesn’t exactly look like you should be going down it but it’s the right one! It will bring you right past the bridge that it out and then from there the trail is straight forward. Get water here if you’re backpacking and need it, but bring a filter. No views until Calloway and pretty much straight up the whole time. We backpacked and stayed in Alpine Meadows, which is my favorite campsite, and then hiked to the Swinging Bridge the following day. Very beautiful views if you do this but prepare for lots of ladders off the side of the mountain! It can be scary if you don’t like heights. This is by far my favorite hike in North Carolina. But continuing your hike to the swinging bridge makes all the difference. Have fun!

I only hiked 2 miles. Mostly flat to small incline trail in the woods with a beautiful creek near the beginning.

Strenuous, but acceptable. great views

bridge out

Good workout to the top. No views till you get to Callaway Peak. Three ladders to climb at top along with cables. It's very steep the last half mile. The plane wreck is to the right of the last campground up top. I started at Asutsi Trailhead then connected into Tanawha. The kiosk at Boone Fork Bridge has permits. I met the crew repairing Cragway and Nuwati Trails and those trails should be open in September, along with bridge. Short hike on Tanawha then connect to DBST. I'm whooped!

bridge out

Such a great hike, meet some cool folks along the way, and my pup had a blast (except for the ladders). Highly suggest getting into the creek on the way back down! My legs and feet were so thankful!

Well maintained trail with a good, gradual elevation gain. The Watauga view was almost 360 degrees and is hard to beat. Would have given it 5 stars but the bridge is still washed out on the Boone fork river. They’re working on it and should have it completed for fall hiking.

bridge out

wife and I did this one today. whew! what a workout! 2hr 48min up from Asutsi trail head to Calloway Peak, and 2hr 9min down. we moved at a good pace, but we are no trail runners or anything. be just your average weekend warriors. we are having fun complaining about how hard this trail kicked out asses. covered 8.88 miles total. trail was in good shape and clearly marked with brand new white blazes.

Well marked trail. Starting at boulder field makes this a very difficult hike. It took me 5 hours to travel 11.2 miles. I was move pretty quickly though. I walked past dbst to where the boone fork bridge is out to get a permit. it looked like you could cross this creek. Parking at the Boone creek area would make this hike a breeze. Also, I dont know how serious they are about permits. I dont think anyone I passed had one.

We parked at the Astusi trail head on 221. .4 mile to DBST. Hiked to Calloway peak. 3.7 miles each way. 1:50 up; 1:45 down. Almost entire hike is on either rocky paths or over roots. 2000ft elevation gain so taxing. But worth it for the views and accomplishment. Easy to follow.

bridge out

We parked along Hwy 221 and headed up the Asutsi Trail to Calloway Peak. This added about 1 mile to the out & back hike which distance wise is a little better than parking at Boulder Fields. It had been a while since I last hiked the trail and noticed the trail was in much worse condition that in the past. They have closed off the trail and added a bypass around the steep scramble rock below the viaduct view. It's still one of my favorite hikes in the area but it would be nice if the storm damaged trails and bridge over Boone Fork would be fixed.

This is a fantastic hike, challenging enough with a lot of variation in the vegetation and surrounds. Loved the Flat Rock View and the Calloway Peak ending point - very satisfying. We were disgruntled that, while knowing the Nuwati Trail was closed, we didn't know ahead of time that we couldn't get to the DBST from the Boone Fork Parking area and had to hike the additional 2.5 miles (x 2) from Boulder Creek along the Tanawha Trail, making it a 12-mile hike! We're not sure why folks haven't moved more expeditiously to repair the footbridge given it is high season and it's one of the only trails up the mountain. We did appreciate all the trail work being done closer to the top, but think getting the Nuwati Trail and the DBST access going again would be a priority.

What a trail run! One of the best most rewarding I've ever done, but it is not for the faint of heart. Started at Boone Fork Parking lot and went off road to get to the DBST. My nephew and I ran the trail for the most part encountering steep climbs and ladders up steep slopes! Passed by a plane wreck from 1978 and summited Calloway Peak. Continued on to Grandfather Mountain and back via Tawanha Trail to BRP and Boone Fork Parking Area.

Camped at Briar Patch with the wife and dog over the weekend. First time doing DBST in the summer, first time camping. The trail is great in the winter and summer. This time the trail head was closed so we parked at Boulder Field Parking lot. Tanawha is mostly flat. Just before the DB trail, make sure your water is filled especially if camping. Spot was nice and secluded. Some other campers had unfortunately left some Trash behind - tent rope ties and plastic bags. The weather I think is the most awesome part and most challenging part about camping on this hill. Experienced several rainstorms, a hail storm, and Bright sunny weather over 3 days. The dog was able to get up to Calloway but no further. I think 2 days is the most you’d want to camp due to the lack of water - had to hike twice to shanty spring over on the profile trail to refill, still we left pretty dehydrated. Another thing to note, the weather really plays with pressure changes, so if you are sensitive to that sort of thing, beware. Other than that - this is sort of like a mini mount Mitchell trail, starting in rhodies and hardwoods, climbing into mountain laurel and hemlocks, then on to firs. Beautiful forest, beautiful smells and different looks - fog/sunshine etc. one thing I hadn’t seen mentioned before are how many different song birds there are. It’s a pretty magical place. The few people we met on trail were all pleasant and in good spirits.

I’ve been hiking grandfather Mountain for over 40 years. This year I took my eight-year-old granddaughter, we started at prosperity Farms on Highway 221 to Callaway Peak then down the other side of the mountain via the profile trail to Highway 105. No matter how you hike this mountain, it’s always a rewarding experience.