Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(252)
Pisgah National Forest

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak is a 7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,007 feet Route Type: Loop

Dogs: Although dogs are allowed on the trail, this trail contains ladders that dogs cannot climb. If your dog is not small enough to lift, it is not recommended to bring a pet on this route. You will need a permit to hike this trail. One of the Parkway's most rewarding hikes climbs 2,000 feet (one way) in 3.5 miles from the Boone Fork lot at Mile 299.5 Grandfather Mountain, the most iconic peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville, N.C., and the Virginia state line, practically dares hikers check out to its highest crags. Because the peak is so prominent on the Parkway, it's only natural to answer Grandfather's challenge from one of the road's turnouts. Best time to go: The autumn colors of late early October will be spectacular, but the weekend crowds may dim the glow (weekdays should be far less crowded). The rhododendron bloom of early June is another great time to go. Early winter, before the first blizzards, and early spring, after the snow's melted, offer the best views of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Winter is the least-advisable time to attempt this hike: the Parkway is typically closed and deep snow can totally obscure the trail. Access to the Daniel Boone Scout Trail will depend upon Blue Ridge Parkway closures. Visitors should consult the NPS real-time map of Blue-Ridge Parkway closures before heading to that side of the park.

Beautiful day and hike. Would definitely do it again. Started the hike at about 10am.Trail didn’t get busy until half way back down. It took us a little over 5 hours , with a 20 minute stop at the top . Although there are ladders near the top, my 55lb springer spaniel decided today was the day he was going to climb them . On the way back down he was able to come down the sides. Check out the plane crash near the top from 1978. A little eerie.

A difficult but rewarding trail with many vistas. Highest point in the Grandfather Mountain range. Plenty of rocks, roots and ladders to build your stamina.

Foggy Day, but very cool views. Lots of fun rocks to climb around on.

icy

One of my favorites. This one will push you, especially if you combine it with the Nuwati Trail our to the Storyteller’s Rock and the Cragway Trails. As of 3/9/20, there was still ice and snow near the top and without the cable guide on the side of the trail at one point I don’t think I would have made it past one really slick section. There are three ladders near the summit but the trail has been rerouted past the Viaduct view. There used to be a mean scramble up a group of boulders just before that, but it’s now bypassed completely.

Very accurate description of trail. Note that the trail has been rerouted by Viaduct View. There no longer is a view to be had. We stopped at the foot of the ladders as it was not possible to haul our dog up. Just before the ladders there is a debris field from a small plane crash. Doubt anyone survived.

icy

Date: 1/06/20 Weather: 43°, sunny & windy Parking: Blue Ridge Parkway was closed so I started at Asutsi Trailhead, small lot Trail markings: moderately well blazed. Overall: The Asutsi Trail added about a mile to the hike. Stayed to the left on the way up. Daniel Boone is fairly steep with lots of rocks and roots through a lovely forest and beautiful 360° views from the top. I did not get all the way to Calloway Peak due to the ice and how steep it was, but it was still a nice hike. Cool rock outcroppings on the Cragway Trail section on the way down. Will do it again in spring/summer.

I had a really good time on this hike. Took both dogs so we stopped at the plane crash and turned around. Yes, it is rocky and covered in roots, but not horrible by any means.

Great trail and better alternative to the trip up via Profile. A bit rocky, a lot of roots but nothing insane. Excellent workout in terms of a climb. Take plenty of water and a snack or two. We made the climb to Calloway in just under 2 hours and nearly puked after the ladders. All in all a good trek!

Intense hike. Great workout. The steps and rope chain to reach Calloway Peak was an unexpected thrill. View at the top was breathtaking. Going down was equally intense. Lots of roots and leaves on the ground. I was going to fast and took a tumble. Luckily I was not hurt. Slowed way down after that. Took a wrong turn at the start which added a mile. Total 8.5 miles in 5.5 hours. That includes 20 minutes at the top. Will do again in June. My legs are sore today and I hike a lot.....I found this trail similar to Profile but a bit more difficult.

We did the Nuwati, Cragway, DBS Trail route to Calloway Peak. I was happy to see Nuwati and Cragway Trails finally open after being closed since late May of 2018. There are no obvious repairs but it doesn't matter since it's now reopened. I've only hiked on a weekend once before in the last 3 years due to the number of people. It was a friends birthday hike so we went for it and there were a bunch of people and crowded up top. Being a nice cool fall day, it was still worth it.

beautiful trail. lots of rocks and roots though

I went a year ago and hated it b/c the trail was practically a running stream. This time around, the trail was much dryer but still moist. I slipped on several rocks. And oh the roots. Just thinking of the roots and the rocks and the erosion...I’m retraumatized. It’s a hard trail! Hiking boots and poles are truly a must on this one. So hard on the knees. But if you’re an avid NC hiker, it’s a MUST! If you’re a casual hiker, be ready to be sore the next day. I enjoyed this time around so much more than last year. Even though it was too foggy to see anything from the top, it was still a nice place to be. Note that the trail differs a little from what’s here at the Viaduct area. On that side of the trail is a rock scramble. However, you might find yourself tracking off to the right. If that happens, you are going around the rock scramble. Last year when I did it I went over the rock scramble but this time I did not. This time I was focusing on the trail blazes and not referring to my app much. I guess there were some other blazes that branched off to the left but I just didn’t see them, b/c before you know it, I was at the ladders, having missed the rock altogether...which I was a little disappointed about. So be looking out. Also, I marked the plane crash on my recording. I missed it last year and missed it on the way up. I got lucky on the way down. Basically, it’s not super easy to find. So I marked it. Check it out. Have fun!

Not sure how this hike is ranked so highly, I'm an experienced hiker of all of the major trails near the BRP and this one was definitely my least favorite. It's a very tough workout, which is good, but the reason it is so tough is not. Over 20,000 steps to Callaway Peak and back, and practically every step of the way your eyes have to be firmly focused on your feet, (and you will still stub your toe and possibly trip at least a half dozen times). Roots and rocks the entire way, I don't know how anyone hikes this when there is snow on the ground. Anyway, make sure you have your best pair of hiking boots with plenty of ankle support. Your lower legs will take the brunt of this hike as every step requires some effort to stabilize yourself as your feet are rarely flat on the ground. Great foliage on the hike, but you can't look at any of it while moving or you will turn an ankle or worse. Less than 2 miles per hour due to the challenging terrain. Only one lookout for views, (Flatrock), until you get to the top. Profile trail has many of the same challenges when it comes to footing, but that's definitely a better hike imo. One more thing to note, make sure that you know exactly how to get there before you go. Google Maps navigation told me I was there when there was no "there" there. I was probably was pretty close, but we were definitely not at the Boone Fork parking area, and we turned around before we got there. No signal on the cell phone up there so technology was no help at that point, and it was really foggy/cloudy, so as I said, make sure you map this one out very well before you go.

I haven't ever gone all the way to Calloway up this trail, which is kind of absurd because we went all the way to Hi Balsam shelter, so we were so close. Alternatively, I have hiked down to Briar Patch from Calloway after coming up the Profile Trail, so I have completed this entire section of trail in sections. It's never easy. This mountain is never easy. But it's always worth it. Truth be told, I prefer the Cragway trail over the Scout Trail. Better climbing and better views along the way.

I've hiked this alone and with friends, always a great experience! Be prepared to climb a ladder. Has a few overlook spots before reaching the top!

The bridge was restored. The Nariwa trail was still closed.

As everyone has said, bridge is out but you can get around it by either 1) walking along the blue ridge parkway and immediately turn right after the bridge (on highway) and head down to the trail or 2) ignore the closed signs, cross the stream by hopping rocks. Choose 2! Few things why I ranked this a 2/5. For starters, I had my dog (golden retriever) who is a relatively experienced hiker and near the top, there is absolutely no way dogs can clim those ladders. It would be similar to a dog climbing a ladder to get on the roof of your house, impossible. Even if you try to work your way around them and climb up the side near the trees you risk your dog falling backwards, or sliding down the mountain and I don’t think anyone wants that for the furry friend. Bottom line, I don’t know why this is listed as dog friendly. It surely is NOT. Secondly, mileage is relatively inaccurate. Signs every few miles do not match what my garmin, wife’s Apple Watch, and phone captured. We logged 8.1 miles round trip and we stopped at the ladders and obviously did not make it to the top. Entire trail is washed out also, root central. Unfortunate overall as I was excited but this wasn’t worth the trouble. Stick to the L gorge!

We did this trail, but started from the Boone Fork Trail to Tawanha trail over at Julian Price Memorial Park. https://youtu.be/qcxxsqqEOvA Here is a video if you want to see what this trail looks like! I really enjoyed it, we ended up going all the way to swinging bridge for a 13 mile day. AMAZING views. Changing Scenery. Definitely a fan!

bridge out

You have to access through the Asusti trail while the bridge is out, but easy to find! Once in the parking lot you will follow the road up about 30 ft past the bridge just a little bit and you’ll see a small trail created by the rangers on your right. It doesn’t exactly look like you should be going down it but it’s the right one! It will bring you right past the bridge that it out and then from there the trail is straight forward. Get water here if you’re backpacking and need it, but bring a filter. No views until Calloway and pretty much straight up the whole time. We backpacked and stayed in Alpine Meadows, which is my favorite campsite, and then hiked to the Swinging Bridge the following day. Very beautiful views if you do this but prepare for lots of ladders off the side of the mountain! It can be scary if you don’t like heights. This is by far my favorite hike in North Carolina. But continuing your hike to the swinging bridge makes all the difference. Have fun!