Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

You will need a permit to hike this trail. One of the Parkway's most rewarding hikes climbs 2,000 feet (one way) in 3.5 miles from the Boone Fork lot at Mile 299.5 Grandfather Mountain, the most iconic peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville, N.C., and the Virginia state line, practically dares hikers check out to its highest crags. Because the peak is so prominent on the Parkway, it's only natural to answer Grandfather's challenge from one of the road's turnouts. My favorite way to hike this route is to start out from the Boone Fork parking area on the Tanawha trail, take the right turn at the Nuwati Trail, follow it to the left turn at Cragway Trail, and pause at the Flat Rock junction with the Daniel Boone Scout Trail. From there, take the Scout Trail to the high point at Calloway Peak, and return on it all the way to the trailhead. Best time to go: The autumn colors of late early October will be spectacular, but the weekend crowds may dim the glow (weekdays should be far less crowded). The rhododendron bloom of early June is another great time to go. Early winter, before the first blizzards, and early spring, after the snow's melted, offer the best views of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Winter is the least-advisable time to attempt this hike: the Parkway is typically closed and deep snow can totally obscure the trail.

Awesome challenging trail with great views at the top and a lot to see on the way.

Hit the trail around 7am and cleared the spider webs for everyone. Really enjoyed the trail, fairly technical with all the roots and rocks, so watch your step. I had my dog with me and decided not to carry him up the ladder, didn't want to sprain an ankle or drop my little dude, so I didn't get to the top of Calloway Peak. The view from the viaduct was amazing and satisfied all the hard work to get up there.

Had the pleasure of hiking the entire trail (Tanawha, Nuwati, Cragway, Daniel Boone , Scout Trail to Calloway Peak and back around to parking area) with my son and his buddy this past Sunday, July 16th. The trail was in good shape and the weather was perfect. Definitely a challenging hike, with plenty of roots, stones and elevation changes. Certainly not for the faint of heart, but absolutely worth every second!! Flat Rock Junction, The Viaduct view and the downed plane were great pit stops on the way up. Will be back again for sure!

Have done this hike several times and love it each time!

Not a bad hike, not my favorite. Lots of roots and muddy patches to watch out for so make sure you wear high ankle waterproof boots. Views from the top are pretty good to the southwest, especially on a clear day, but the other side is nothing spectacular. Worth checking out again in the fall to see the foliage

trail was great - a little muddy in spots but well worth the trip up

awesome hike, beautiful terrain, well worth it!

Yesterdays hike was nice. The weather was not great. Raining most of the hike. Still I enjoyed the hike. I do agree that going to Calloway peak by way of Nuwatil trail is the way to go. If you are not in shape i would not recommend the trail .But hike was worth the effort

The first time we hiked this trail we only went up to the Flat Rock view junction and took the Cragway and Nuwati trails back down to the parking area. This was an awesome loop with amazing views, especially on the Cragway trail. A few months later (with a few more hikes under our belts) we came back to conquer the entirety of the Daniel Boone trail. It was certainly challenging but manageable! We took our time, brought lots of water and some snacks and were glad we did. The views from Calloway Peak are awesome but there is limited space at the top (and while we were there 1000s of flies). We somehow lost the trail for a few minutes on the way back down so keep your eyes peeled for the white blazes!

My daughters (10 and 8) and I did this hike. It was so fun and the view at the top is amazing

Great trail! Pretty difficult on the way up and down, but the view at the top was well worth it. There are very nice campsites all along the trail.