Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak

Daniel Boone Scout Trail to Calloway Peak is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Blowing Rock, North Carolina that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

You will need a permit to hike this trail. One of the Parkway's most rewarding hikes climbs 2,000 feet (one way) in 3.5 miles from the Boone Fork lot at Mile 299.5 Grandfather Mountain, the most iconic peak on the Blue Ridge Parkway between Asheville, N.C., and the Virginia state line, practically dares hikers check out to its highest crags. Because the peak is so prominent on the Parkway, it's only natural to answer Grandfather's challenge from one of the road's turnouts. My favorite way to hike this route is to start out from the Boone Fork parking area on the Tanawha trail, take the right turn at the Nuwati Trail, follow it to the left turn at Cragway Trail, and pause at the Flat Rock junction with the Daniel Boone Scout Trail. From there, take the Scout Trail to the high point at Calloway Peak, and return on it all the way to the trailhead. Best time to go: The autumn colors of late early October will be spectacular, but the weekend crowds may dim the glow (weekdays should be far less crowded). The rhododendron bloom of early June is another great time to go. Early winter, before the first blizzards, and early spring, after the snow's melted, offer the best views of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. Winter is the least-advisable time to attempt this hike: the Parkway is typically closed and deep snow can totally obscure the trail.

9 minutes ago

Great trail! Pretty difficult on the way up and down, but the view at the top was well worth it. There are very nice campsites all along the trail.

I was driving between Charlotte, NC and Bristol, VA and found this on AllTrails. I needed a hike rated as hard for training. This fit the bill, and it is hard. I went up via the Daniel Boone Scout Trail and came back down the Cragway Trail. The distance and elevation wasn't super bad, but the shear quantity of large roots, rocks and step-ups made this one of the toughest day hikes for its length I have done on the east coast. Not as bad as Old Rag in Shenandoah, but very tough for distance, elevation and terrain. I was able to knock it out in just under 3 hours carrying a 35 pound pack on the way up, dumped 20 lbs of water at the top.

From the parking lot you are immediately into a dense well developed forest mostly comprised of fir trees, and moss covered ground. At times the forest reminded of hikes I have done in the northwest. With the exception of a few places you are constantly stepping up on rocks, constructed stairs or large roots. The trail is well marked and blazes are usually visible. There were only a few times that I needed to rely on the blazes to follow the trail up. Towards the top there are a couple of rock scrambles and ladders that have to negotiated. The view from the Summit was worth it.

From Flatrock Junction I came split off onto Cragway. For what it lacked in roots and steps it made up for it in large slabby rocks. Most of the trail felt like I was walking down a gully wash between think groves of rhododendron and Mt. Laurel. The thick bushes would at times obscure the view, but when I occasionally popped out onto rock outcrops it made all the more stunning.

After descending to the Nuwatti trail the terrain immediately changed to a slowly descending trail made up of rocks ranging from golf ball to softball in size. The sun had set and I had to be careful not to twist an ankle, even with a headlamp. Fortunately, i was off the trail after 16 minutes.

I really liked this trail and will definitely hit it again sometime when I can take in the view a little longer. I would not recommend this for the casual hiker that is not in shape.

Tough hike, bring plenty of water. I brought only 2L of water and I recommend bringing 3L at least. I had to hike extra on the profile trail to get to a stream to refill my water supply. I did it in 7 hours including the extra distance which took about an hour and photo stops. If your in shape with a light pack can be done in 5-6 hours. Took me 3.5 hours to get to the peak. The cragway trail section was the hardest for me, don't give up if your exhausted after the first 2 miles, it gets easier then hard again but worth it. Great trail with great views.

Good! Pretty!

This is a long trail, but has amazing views and was a great hike. I have gone twice and due to timing was never able to finish. Third time is charm, and I can now say I have found the plane crash. We took some dogs with us and they did fine, but the ladders were kinda hard for them. I have no complaints about this trail.

Not so hard as I supposed, but what such great view!!

Thoroughly enjoyed camping at both Hermitage and the Refuge. We were not in good enough shape to take our 40ish lbs packs up to the higher campsites. The Cragway is extremely difficult and you need to be in very good shape to trek a lot of gear up there. We camped at Hermitage the first night. It's a nice and secluded spot surrounded by dense trees. It's difficult to find level ground there though. The next day we took our site over to The Refuge and setup camp in the morning. That day we did the journey up to Calloway peak and back. The Refuge is a great spot and perfect for larger parties who need multiple spots for tents and has multiple fire rings. There is a stream nearby for water that is delicious (it's recommended that you boil or treat it first though we didn't). There are plenty of streams along the Nuwati trail but little to no water sources once you ascend the Cragway up to the peak, so be sure to pack plenty of water. We were there in late February and it was about 60 during the day and down to upper 30's at night. Such an amazing trip!!

From the Boone Fork parking lot on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I get on the Tanawha trail for just a short distance and then take the Nuwati and Cragway trails up, and then get on the Daniel Boone Scout trail about midway up to Calloway Peak, but when I come back down, I like to stay on the Daniel Boone Scout trail all the way down to the Tanawha trail, which borders the Parkway. The Cragway trail is pretty steep, and I just prefer to climb instead of descending when it is steep like that, whereas the Daniel Boone Scout trail is more of a gradual slope and easier on my old knees! On the way up near the top there is a fatal plane crash site from 1978 that claimed one life, the pilot's, about 60 paces past the Raven's Roost camping site tent pad on the Daniel Boone Scout Trail about 75 feet off of the trail to the right. The debris field is spread out quite a bit, and since this is like a memorial site, I would not suggest touching anything of course.