Crowders Trail to Rocktop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(40)
Crowders Mountain State Park

Crowders Trail to Rocktop Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kings Mountain, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as difficult and is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,046 feet Route Type: Loop

I started at 1:45pm on a Sunday afternoon. Weather was perfect and it was not heavily crowded. I took the advice of the lady in the visitor center and climbed up Rock top trail. It was a good decision as climbing down would’ve been tough. Climbed down Crowders trail but did an extra mile as I took the right fork to Back trail and realized after going down 0.5 mile. Finished by 4:30pm which included a break at the summit to enjoy the views. I strongly recommend a hiking pole for this trail.

This loop gets four stars for being well marked and well maintained along with some good views. My son wanted to go up the harder Rocktop trail which was a good decision because coming down Rocktop would be harder than going up in my opinion. Many people on the trail on a Saturday and the parking lot was full so we had to park in the overflow parking right down below the main lot (11am). We grabbed a trail map and off we went. He loves to climb on things being 7 years old so he really enjoyed the Rocktop trail. The Crowders trail is much more tame. This loop took us 2h 32m total including a lunch break and pictures. We did see a Copperhead on the Crowders trail thanks to two very frightened women.

Was Easy for experienced climbers but the rocks made it a pain but we also got lost and ended having to climb the mountain twice. Oops but anyway go for it!

I hiked this with a heavier pack to prepare for a trip to Yosemite at the end of this month. I have hiked this before, during the winter. I arrived shortly before 7 AM to find a parking lot over half full with cars. The hike was rated correctly, but I was surprised with the amount of people in the park. I typically hike in the mountains, and almost always on weekdays. That may explain why I expected to see people, just not that many. They were quite noisy also.

Enjoyable hike. Went crowder mountain trail to rocktop trail. Walked the road on the way back.

Sat May 11 2019

This trail was a challenging one. But the views were gorgeous. Scrambling over the rocks requires you to go slowly, but that’s not always a bad thing. I did get rained on so bring appropriate clothing.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Wed Oct 03 2018

Awesome weekday hike, not crowded. Good workout with beautiful foliage & views all the way to Charlotte.

Sun Jun 02 2019