Craggy Gardens Trail

Craggy Gardens Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barnardsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Craggy Gardens. Short trail with great mountain views.

The views here are just breathtaking. Excellent trail to do later in the day so you can catch the sunset up top. Definitely will go back in the spring for the blooming rhododendrons.

It was so pretty. My mom and I hiked out to watch the sunset. There’s this little gazebo on the way to the top that we stopped at to take pictures and they turned out amazing. It looked like the trees and everything were on fire because of the way the sun was setting. I would definitely recommend this hike.

Love love love! My husband took me up here for my birthday end of June this year. They say best time to go is middle to end of June when all the flowers are in bloom. My four year old did it, but ended up having to be carried. Very rocky and step like. Use good footing. Really don't recommend for young children. I had an amazing time, and love it.

With the exception of my cranky 9 year old this was a nice little hike for the family. A little more strenuous than I initially thought; however, well travelled and marked for a 600ft climb. Beautiful scenery from the top made it definitely worth the hike!

Great photo opportunities

I took my wife on this trail as an intro to hiking, which she really enjoyed. It's very short (and easy) so we were able to enjoy the drive down the blue ridge parkway and grab a beer afterwards. Lots of people, so if you enjoy quiet hiking this is not the trail for you.

Don't let this short trail fool you... it's a hike. Depending on where you start (we started at the visitor center), the trail slopes downward to the picnic area. A side detour to the rhododendron meadow is a nice short diversion... and a good place for a picnic. Be sure to stop by the gazebo for a great view (go to the pinnacle if you want a 360 view of the blue ridge). You can choose to go to the Craggy Gardens path or take the 4 mile out and back (8 all together) to Douglas Falls. We did not plan for Douglass Falls, so we didn't take it... but next time!

Absolutely love this hike! I've done it twice now, and really enjoyed it both times.

There's two sides to hike in from, one that starts at the visitor's center and one that starts in a big parking lot, both are super fun. Great views the whole drive in. Even when there have been TONS of people on the trail, once you're to the big field it's very easy to find your own space to enjoy the views.

Both hikes in are pretty easy, but very enjoyable! The only thing I would say--it's ALWAYS 5-10 degrees colder on this hike than you'd expect so pack an extra layer!

Definitely a must see if you are visiting the area. It's a moderate hike. It's a must hike during fall season and especially in June when the rhododendrons are blooming.

High traffic but nice short excursion

Like this trail. Low key and nice afternoon hike. Non strenuous and great look out views of the Blue Ridge.

This was a lovely little hike with gorgeous views and plenty of trees worthy of a perch or rest underneath. We took the dogs and were thrilled!

my favorite little spot. short, but uphill hike. very unique scenery especially when foggy! ❤

Nice moderate trail with a unique summit. not too many people in the morning and the clouds and cool mist made for a surreal experience in mid summer.

This trail is heavily trafficked, a little too much for my liking. It doesn't lead out to the Pinnacle, so the views aren't quite as spectacular as something like John Rock. Definitely go in June when the flowers are in bloom.

Nice uphill hike to an open field with lovely views.

I started at the picnic area which is mostly strenuous uphill to the top, then I realized the trail from the visitors center is much easier. The walk through the tree tunnel out to the meadow is amazing, almost like being in a different place. The best time to visit is around mid-June for the rhododendrons.

I was lucky to do this hike with the rhododendrons in bloom. Wow, so beautiful. It feels like a mystical forest. It was pretty cloudy so I didn't get to see much at the lookout spot, but still beautiful. Nice short hike, with some steep areas to get the heart rate up.