Craggy Gardens Trail

Craggy Gardens Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Barnardsville, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Trail off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Craggy Gardens. Short trail with great mountain views.

Love love love! My husband took me up here for my birthday end of June this year. They say best time to go is middle to end of June when all the flowers are in bloom. My four year old did it, but ended up having to be carried. Very rocky and step like. Use good footing. Really don't recommend for young children. I had an amazing time, and love it.

With the exception of my cranky 9 year old this was a nice little hike for the family. A little more strenuous than I initially thought; however, well travelled and marked for a 600ft climb. Beautiful scenery from the top made it definitely worth the hike!

Great photo opportunities

I took my wife on this trail as an intro to hiking, which she really enjoyed. It's very short (and easy) so we were able to enjoy the drive down the blue ridge parkway and grab a beer afterwards. Lots of people, so if you enjoy quiet hiking this is not the trail for you.

Don't let this short trail fool you... it's a hike. Depending on where you start (we started at the visitor center), the trail slopes downward to the picnic area. A side detour to the rhododendron meadow is a nice short diversion... and a good place for a picnic. Be sure to stop by the gazebo for a great view (go to the pinnacle if you want a 360 view of the blue ridge). You can choose to go to the Craggy Gardens path or take the 4 mile out and back (8 all together) to Douglas Falls. We did not plan for Douglass Falls, so we didn't take it... but next time!